Our Legal System Sucks

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by Leisher »

Is there a thread for this? I really don't want to start a "Memphis sucks" thread nor do these fit perfectly elsewhere.

Memphis shooting spree committed by scumbag who was let out WAY early from a 3 year sentence.

I'm guessing the gun was not legally purchased...

Memphis abduction and murder committed by a career criminal.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:48 pm Memphis abduction and murder committed by a career criminal.
Can you be a career criminal if you spent 19/20 years in jail and were 18 when committed the prior crime?

At any rate, kill them all.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:01 pm Can you be a career criminal if you spent 19/20 years in jail and were 18 when committed the prior crime?
Yes. I guarantee he had a record as a minor and was committing crimes during the two years he was out of prison.
TheCatt wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:01 pm At any rate, kill them all.
Agreed anyone surfing here that isn't a regular, he's talking about CRIMINALS.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:01 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:48 pm Memphis abduction and murder committed by a career criminal.
Can you be a career criminal if you spent 19/20 years in jail and were 18 when committed the prior crime?

At any rate, kill them all.
Point for Leisher. May have raped someone in September 2021, but rape kit sat around untested.
The victim’s sexual assault kit sat waiting to be tested for almost a year, a spokesperson for the Memphis Police Department confirmed to the Daily News Sunday. In late August, results came back and matched 38-year-old Abston.

That abduction came just a year after Abston was released from prison after serving 20 years for aggravated kidnapping.
Leisher
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by Leisher »

CNN experts claim tougher sentences won't solve crime problems.
There are two major, unavoidable challenges to lowering recidivism rates, Coots explained.
One, most offenders will eventually be released and return to society, which is why it is crucial for the justice system to offer rehabilitation services while they are in prison. And two, each state has a certain number of prisoners who will be rearrested within a year of their release, and the trend continues in each following year, he said.
Coots said targeted programs to prepare offenders for reentry into communities, focused on helping them plan for employment, housing, access health care services and ensuring they have social relationships, are effective strategies to reduce recidivism.
Another effective strategy is cognitive behavioral therapy, which helps people become aware of their thought processes and change criminal behavior.
Ok, I buy into both of those strategies. However, I'm pretty sure the recidivism rate for people executed or given life sentences without the possibility of parole is 0%.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Or, just shoot them. Oh wait, you said that, too. Yes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by Leisher »

I have some thoughts on reforming the prison system that I think would work far better than what we currently have in place:
-Non-violent offenses and "negligent" crimes can only get you to minimum security or work release programs with heavy focus on rehabilitation. (Drug charges, financial crimes, drunk driving, etc.)
-I would allow some violent offenders to also have a chance to go this route as well, but their cases must be sent, by their judge, to a panel of judges who examine the circumstances with the person's lawyer present. The default would be "violent=maximum security", so I don't feel a prosecutor would be needed. This would be for things like a fight involving a first time offender whose victim fell and hit their head resulting in death or some long term injury. Perhaps a drunk driver who killed someone. And I'm sure we can all think of others. Point being, not all violent criminals are the same.
-Violent offenders (sex crimes, murder, rape, attempted murder, etc.) go to maximum security prisons. Using the prison designs current now, (so grouping them by their cell blocks) prisoners' days involve work and then group sessions which are basically therapy. Prisoners can be observed to see if they can be rehabilitated or not. The prison should not fill prisoners' days with working out and rape. Dump ALL privileges, like exercise equipment, TVs, internet, commissary, etc. until they earn them.
-Folks given the death penalty or life with no possibility of parole go to a different maximum security prison. There they have access to all privileges and design the prison with more of a "free roam" feel. They have rooms for privacy, but a very large common area with whatever they need to live out the rest of their lives. Basically, let them exist in just enough comfort to shut them up.
GORDON
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by GORDON »

No rehab will work as long as society is going to shit on them when they get out. If the person is on the registry and living under a bridge, or if no one will hire an ex-con, then they're ultimately going to re-offend due to lack of options.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by Leisher »

Woman kills her rapist and now has to pay her victim's family $150K.

That's the claim. If true, it's fucked up. However, I don't believe the rapes were proven in court or even reported? (I only state that to be fair to both sides.)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:36 am Woman kills her rapist and now has to pay her victim's family $150K.

That's the claim. If true, it's fucked up. However, I don't believe the rapes were proven in court or even reported? (I only state that to be fair to both sides.)
Seems absurd on face.
Leisher
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by Leisher »

The payment thing? It does. Both the law requiring it (although I do understand why such a law would exist) and the dollar amount.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:53 pm The payment thing? It does. Both the law requiring it (although I do understand why such a law would exist) and the dollar amount.
Yes, the payment.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Privacy: You have none
When it comes to data privacy in our present, hyper-connected age, many of your worst fears and biggest anxieties are probably correct. Yes, smartphones and our manifold other devices collect an incredible array of information on our habits, choices, and movements at all times. Yes, all of this information is compiled by companies to sell for profit. Yes, the U.S. government is among the many clients buying up that data. And yes, it represents a significant and persistent threat to your civil liberties and safety, as confirmed in a newly released report from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI)—the top dog among all of our nation’s spy agencies.

The declassified document, made public on Friday, was completed in January 2022, following 90 days of assessment. It was commissioned by Avril Haines, the director of national intelligence in the Biden Administration, at the behest of Oregon Senator Ron Wyden. Haines agreed to look into the issue of how U.S. intelligence uses commercially available data during her confirmation hearing, and now the result of that inquiry is fully on display. The newly released report affirms a mounting bevy of evidence that government agencies— from Immigration and Customs Enforcement to the Pentagon—are compiling vast stores of for-sale data.

Taken altogether, the information that the government is easily able to purchase from data brokers rivals anything that’s been available to intelligence agencies in the past—even through warrants, wiretaps, and Fourth Amendment due process.

“Today, in a way that far fewer Americans seem to understand, and even fewer of them can avoid, [commercially available information] includes information on nearly everyone that is of a type and level of sensitivity that historically could have been obtained, if at all, only through targeted (and predicated) collection,” write the report authors. All that data “can reveal sensitive and intimate information about individuals,” the 48-page account emphasizes. “It could be used to cause harm to an individual’s reputation, emotional well-being, or physical safety.”

Though this data may be “anonymized” by brokers and sold in bulk, it does not stay anonymous in the hands of U.S. spy agencies. The government report affirmatively cites a 2019 New York Times investigation that found deanonymizing commercially available information (CAI) takes mere minutes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Our Legal System Sucks

Post by GORDON »

Women get the vote, now this.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."