Lawns

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Lawns

Post by Leisher »

I've been hearing more and more about ending lawn care as we know it. Why?

-Time wasted on yards can be put back into families.
-Gas not needed for yard work.
-Equipment not needed for yard work.
-Yard chemicals no longer being put into environment.
-Yards can be natural.
-Water consumption reduced.
-Obviously, a financial win for the homeowner.

All good stuff.

However, I wonder about the cons too.

-Moves pests much closer to your house and family.
-Everything could look shitty. Yards full of long grass would look ok. Yards full of weeds are going to look terrible. (Maybe we should all plant ornamental African grass before throwing out our mowers?)
-Lawn businesses put out of business.
-What kind of negative effect would it have on the economy as Toro and other brands take massive hits?
-Nothing looks better than a freshly mowed lawn.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Lawns

Post by GORDON »

- Sometimes I enjoy 2 hours of Forest Gumping through the yard with headphones on and no one bugging me.

I don't use yard chemicals, and I don't bag the organic matter. It stays on property and I have a healthy carbon cycle out there. I compost, and haven't used chemicals in my vegetable garden in years (when I last had some sort of fly infestation). I'm pretty much organic. I eat a measurable percentage of my yearly calories off of my 1 acre, and a bunch of bugs and shit may hinder that.

Also, in this area mowing your grass is considered "disclimaxing a forest." If you let it go fallow you WILL end up with maples and oaks. I don't want my garden shaded out.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Lawns

Post by GORDON »

Funny compost pile story:

I am putting in another crop of lettuce and spinach because the first crop was awesome and grew a ton and i couldn't eat it fast enough before it went to seed.

So I was preparing the soil today. Took the shovel to the compost to get a few good scoops. "Oh look, a cavity in the pile. Weird."

*hornets boil out*

Goddammit.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Lawns

Post by Leisher »

Your "trees might grow" point is a good one.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Lawns

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:37 pmGoddammit
Nature sucks.
It's not me, it's someone else.