Social Security

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Social Security

Post by TheCatt »

Will only be able to pay out 80% of benefits by 2035.
One Democratic plan proposed by Rep. John Larson of Connecticut, the Social Security 2100 Act: A Sacred Trust, would reapply payroll taxes starting at $400,000 and up.

The plan put forward by Sanders and Warren would reapply those taxes at wages over $250,000, among other tax increases.

But Republicans at both hearings indicated those tax proposals were non-starters. In their meeting last week, Republican House leaders emphasized the negative effects higher payroll taxes may have on small businesses.
If people are making $400k+ per year, I think they can afford the payroll taxes.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Social Security

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:12 pm If people are making $400k+ per year, I think they can afford the payroll taxes.
Agree.

The Obamacare stuff was far more punishing to SMBs.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Social Security

Post by TheCatt »

I support the $400k payroll taxes, but I would like that # to be indexed to inflation. Otherwise it's just inevitable that we'll end up with a situation where all income pays payroll taxes.

I'd like to know how far that gets us towards solving the problem, as well.

I do not support raising the retirement age.
Leisher
Site Admin

Social Security

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:56 pm I do not support raising the retirement age.
I feel like doing this is going to lead to a mess for them. Corporations are making record profits while hiring fewer people and arguably giving less in benefits than any other recent time. Meanwhile, the rich, including Congress, are just getting richer. Congress being the people who have been mismanaging SS...

How about we fix the out of control government spending before we start asking the slaves...I mean the citizens to work longer?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Social Security

Post by TheCatt »

Spending is pretty hard to control, as one person's out of control is another justified benefit.

But a nice raise to minimum wage would go a long way, imho.