Globalization

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Globalization

Post by GORDON »

An ephemeral subject I've never given much quiet analysis to, in spite of having known of it as a concept.

I remember in grade school the goal of "globalizing" the economy, and institutions. "Neat," I thought. "Bigger, better companies. Oh cool time for recess."

But know what? 40 years later and the world is nearly completely globalized, all of our little creature comforts and trinkets usually being shipped in from around the world. The food people eat, and energy they consume, is often not produced in their own country. Covid showed us the chaos of a delicate, disrupted supply chain....

And now Ukraine/Russia has shown us how Globalization can be weaponized. Russia is being undone by simple sanctions, not even a full-on embargo.

So. Is this a good thing? We have a non-violent way in which to wage war, now, as long as the country joined the rest of the world. But then no one is their own master? We're all beholden to whatever the crazy leader of the country across the ocean thinks?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Globalization

Post by Troy »

I don't think it's good we lost domestic industry capability. In one of those worst case scenarios where there is a meteor, or nuclear war, or some other world changing disaster, we should expect the countries of the world to look inward, and stop exporting what they could keep for themselves. Maybe we should just look into 3d printing factories - able to create whatever we need in the event something like that happens.

BUT - do I like this new ability and strength of the the linked western world to punish something as barbaric and backwards as we are seeing in Ukraine, just straight naked imperial aggression on a sovereign country? With a VERY obviously made up casus belli? And indescriminately targeting civilians in a society full of skilled workers who could be contributing to that linked western world? Fuck yeah.