The First Biden Term

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:16 am
Leisher wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:01 am Did Trump do that? If so, I hope Biden does it as a shot at Trump. That'd be funny.
Yes. Rumours of his terrible O2 (85%) and health were leaking, and he wanted to prove he was strong.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... y-n1266541
Apparently display of power > Just holding a press conference and being honest about your condition
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

CNN piece praising Biden's huge win with the Inflation Reduction Act.

This article talks about Biden needing a win. Another CNN article a few headlines down from this one claims Biden is inexplicably unpopular because he just keeps racking up wins. They should probably get together and figure out what message they're trying to send.

Funniest line from this article:
The Inflation Reduction Act may not live up to its name and cut the cost of living.
So Catt, how effective will this bill be on reducing inflation? I know it raises taxes on corporations, and probably costs in the climate stuff. I assume those costs will be passed onto consumers. So where are the inflation reducing parts?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:24 pm So Catt, how effective will this bill be on reducing inflation?
Most of what I've seen is captured here:
In a goal Democrats have been chasing for decades, the legislation will for the first time give Medicare the power to negotiate the cost of a limited basket of prescription drugs, thereby bringing down costs. In extending Affordable Care Act subsidies, it could save health care coverage for countless people.
The electric car incentives are at least interesting as they are no longer targeted to the rich since they have phase-outs.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Based upon how the WH is celebrating "0% inflation in July", this is pretty funny.

TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

The WH wasn’t wrong, there was 0% inflation in July. But it’s just one month.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:04 am The WH wasn’t wrong, there was 0% inflation in July. But it’s just one month.
They are not wrong in the slightest. However, it's how they've been wording it that everyone is making fun of. I've even seen left wing Twitter hinting that the way it's been framed is a bit dishonest. As one left winger put it: "It's good news, but saying it in a way that implies inflation is over is only going to bite them in the ass."

The headline on the front page of CNN: "House poised to deliver Biden another victory today"

The headline for the article itself is different. That's how you spin news. Take a bill that already passed the Senate and pretend it's another win when it easily passes the D controlled House. I'm sure when Biden signs it, it will be hailed as another win and they'll talk about him being on a roll.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

President doesn't control the economy.

Unless it's good news, and the P is a D.

Otherwise if it's W he's the cause of a recession, and Cheney controls gas prices because of his cronies.

How can anyone take the media or DC seriously? How obvious does their dishonesty have to be?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

10 yr bonds have fallen from 3.50 to 2.85 over the past couple of months. The markets agree that inflation is being tamed. Or believe it will be shortly.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Until it happens and normal people actually feel the effects, the experts' opinions mean little.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:46 pm Until it happens and normal people actually feel the effects, the experts' opinions mean little.
Gas prices are down a lot.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:16 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:46 pm Until it happens and normal people actually feel the effects, the experts' opinions mean little.
Let me know when that starts to reflect in all other product costs.

I'm sure the corporate world is SUPER excited to pass those savings onto consumers!
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:45 pm Let me know when that starts to reflect in all other product costs.

I'm sure the corporate world is SUPER excited to pass those savings onto consumers!
Literally directly to the consumers since, you know, they buy gas.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:00 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:45 pm Let me know when that starts to reflect in all other product costs.

I didn't realize that inflation = the price of gas and no other prices mattered. Who knew?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:00 pm

I didn't realize that inflation = the price of gas and no other prices mattered. Who knew?
You said
normal people actually feel the effects
And people are feeling the effects of lower gas prices.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Or up a lot, if comparing to two years ago.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:46 pm
Or up a lot, if comparing to two years ago.
Recessions do that.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Did the entity declare recession?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:21 pm Did the entity declare recession?
2 years ago, when gas prices were low.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:25 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:00 pm Literally directly to the consumers since, you know, they buy gas.
You said
normal people actually feel the effects
And people are feeling the effects of lower gas prices.
Apparently you also work in the White House.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:48 pm Apparently you also work in the White House.
Says the person dodging the evidence of his wrongness.

At any rate, consumers are feeling better already