The First Biden Term

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:23 pm I'm with him on school closings, not so much with the thing about people leaving the workforce.
We need people in the workforce to grow the economy.
Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:23 pm I think as a society we should be moving back to one income households.
Good luck. Although, maybe we should encourage throuples? Two working parents and one stays home :)

I remember that worked really well when I did it playing the Sims back in 2001.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:33 pm We need people in the workforce to grow the economy.
If one person can achieve the spending power of two, why do both need to work? So companies can raise prices to offset the additional manpower?

Maybe if most of corporate America wasn't grossly overpaying their C Suite to give them overinflated earnings every quarter so their stock price spikes, then people could afford more and spending would increase? The economy would follow along with it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:17 pm
TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:33 pm We need people in the workforce to grow the economy.
If one person can achieve the spending power of two, why do both need to work? So companies can raise prices to offset the additional manpower?

Maybe if most of corporate America wasn't grossly overpaying their C Suite to give them overinflated earnings every quarter so their stock price spikes, then people could afford more and spending would increase? The economy would follow along with it.
I think C suite earnings are a micro problem in a macro world.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:23 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:17 pm

I think C suite earnings are a micro problem in a macro world.
If a corporation wants to pay their CEO $15M/yr, I don't really care. It's when the CEO's financial package is tied to the company's stock prices that, I believe, leads to problems.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:47 pm If a corporation wants to pay their CEO $15M/yr, I don't really care. It's when the CEO's financial package is tied to the company's stock prices that, I believe, leads to problems.
That started because people thought the straight up salary that CEOs were getting was too much and unrelated to performance. The US even created an extra tax on excessive salaries by removing their deductibility in the 1990s.

Ooops.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:16 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:47 pm If a corporation wants to pay their CEO $15M/yr, I don't really care. It's when the CEO's financial package is tied to the company's stock prices that, I believe, leads to problems.
That started because people thought the straight up salary that CEOs were getting was too much and unrelated to performance. The US even created an extra tax on excessive salaries by removing their deductibility in the 1990s.

Ooops.
It's almost like the government doesn't know what it's doing when it comes to business. Weird that a bunch of lawyers would be clueless about taxes and economic repercussions.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

South Dakota filing lawsuit to challenge Biden's executive orders.

They're actually challenging executive orders in general. Probably a good use of "checks and balances" just to make sure the ever growing use of them is legal.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:36 pm South Dakota filing lawsuit to challenge Biden's executive orders.

They're actually challenging executive orders in general. Probably a good use of "checks and balances" just to make sure the ever growing use of them is legal.
After reading it, I don't think they have a leg to stand on
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:03 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:36 pm South Dakota filing lawsuit to challenge Biden's executive orders.

After reading it, I don't think they have a leg to stand on
Probably not, but someone should look into it. The president should absolutely have executive orders, but should they count as legislation?
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Three governors under fire.

Cuomo should possibly be in jail. I don't know enough about Newsom's controversy (Troy?). Abbott is pretty shit, but he's not responsible for years of piss poor infrastructure planning. (That's not a defense of the man and how he's handling the situation, but he did inherit a problem that nobody anticipated.)

Combine these three with Cruz's antics, and I legit have a sliver of hope that people are going to start holding more politicians' feet to the fire.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:24 am Three governors under fire.

Cuomo should possibly be in jail. I don't know enough about Newsom's controversy (Troy?). Abbott is pretty shit, but he's not responsible for years of piss poor infrastructure planning. (That's not a defense of the man and how he's handling the situation, but he did inherit a problem that nobody anticipated.)

Combine these three with Cruz's antics, and I legit have a sliver of hope that people are going to start holding more politicians' feet to the fire.
Burn them all.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:41 amBurn them all.
Yep.

Biden refusing to cancel $50K in student debt.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Two Centrist Dems are going to be a problem for Biden.

I'm a huge fan of this. Like the 5 or so GOP senators who went against party ranks to vote for impeachment of Trump, the Dems need their own inter party "checks and balances" to keep them honest.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Latest Harvard/Harris poll on a number of hot topics.

Follow the tweet below. No idea who that blue check is, but he summarizes a bunch of them so you don't have to go digging. Some surprising and not so surprising results.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Don't know where else to put this...

The U.S. "freedom" score just keeps dropping.

Despite the opening few paragraphs of the article, you'll see it's been dropping steadily since 2009.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:17 pm Don't know where else to put this...

Despite the opening few paragraphs of the article, you'll see it's been dropping steadily since 2009.
Feel like that's more of a Trump term thing.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:53 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:17 pm Don't know where else to put this...

Feel like that's more of a Trump term thing.
Reported now, it goes here.

I was treating it like a current event, and no other thread is more current...?
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Might as well put this political poll here.

It covers a lot of different issues, like people thinking political violence is inevitable, how Rs and Ds handled Jan 6th, and so on.

However, one area that fascinates me is voting:
And as Republicans in several states move to make voting rules more restrictive partly in response to false claims of widespread fraud in the 2020 election, the poll finds 53% of adults say the bigger problem for elections in the US is that the rules aren't strict enough to prevent illegal votes while 39% say the bigger problem is that the rules make it too difficult for eligible citizens to cast ballots.
There are broad divides on this question by party, by race and ethnicity. Nearly all Republicans (92%) say that voting rules not being strict enough is a bigger problem, and a majority of independents agree (56%). Among Democrats, 70% say the bigger problem is that the rules make it too hard for eligible citizens to cast ballots.
Most people of color say that access is the bigger problem (50% to 40%), while Whites break the opposite way (59% say it's a bigger problem that the rules aren't strict enough). But among both of those groups, there are divisions. Most Black Americans say that access is the bigger problem, while a narrow majority of Hispanic Americans break toward concerns that the rules are not tight enough. And while 92% of White Republicans say that the rules are not strict enough, 81% of White Democrats say the rules make it too hard for eligible citizens to vote.
So wait...
Rs think voting rules are not restrictive enough, despite no widespread voter fraud in the last election (Although, to be fair, there was fraud, just not in the numbers Trump claims.). Ds think voting rules are too restrictive despite the highest turnout ever and them winning all over the place.

What?!? I mean, I guess it's just a total coincidence that each party's stance matches exactly what they need to win an election... :D