The First Biden Term

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Or possibly "A rising tide raises all boats."

As soon as wage/income disparity started taking off is when capitalism broke. I think the federal government will have to step in with mandated max working hours and stuff. Will be difficult, as the people who are paying them off will be the ones forced to treat workers better.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:49 pm I was discussing this at lunch today and I know what I'm going to name the book I write about this new capitalism:
"Everybody Cums: We all win when capitalism is done right"
I'm listening...
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:08 am
GORDON wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:48 am I think giving capitalism a free hand used to work, but it doesn't any more.
So, how do you feel about the "robber barons"?
Been low key mulling this question.

I don't have an in-depth knowledge of their dealings, beyond when I learned in college American History-Post Civil War. I understand a lot of anti-trust laws were created because of them, with assurances no one entity can control production of everything from ore mine to sales floor.

However.

The fact these individuals created the entities they created, even if they were broken up decades later.... no other one man may have advanced those industries so far. In their desire to own a market, they built up the infrastructure to serve that market.

But I could be wrong. As I said, my understanding is possibly better than average, but nowhere near expert.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:50 pm The fact these individuals created the entities they created, even if they were broken up decades later.... no other one man may have advanced those industries so far. In their desire to own a market, they built up the infrastructure to serve that market.
And took abnormally high profits, starving the other players and consumers alike. They could remove startups/competition by drastically lowering prices in a given market to protect their market share. So, there's certainly a little good, but way more bad as far as the economy goes.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Yes, I understand the lack of competition their success created. I've heard that they practed anti-competitive behavior, but I've never heard exactly what those were, as individual examples. But history says they were bad, so we'll call them bad, and continue using the infrastructure they created like so many post-colonial residents of India.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

CNN warns Rs are going to do what Ds did to Trump if they win big in the upcoming elections.

Duh? We all predicted this and this is why our current political system is completely broken. It's two team of morons at each others' throats non-stop and has nothing to do with running the nation.

How do people vote for these letters? How do they trick themselves into thinking one or the other is "better" and doesn't sink to the levels of the other?

This country needs an enema.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

If there's an impeachment battle, it allows both sides to make pledge drives, "Help your side win by giving money!" Back and forth impeachments are good for business. Both sides encourage this. It's not going to stop.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Romney and I agree on Biden's election win.

I didn't read the article, just the headline. I do think he's 100% correct, and why the Ds are looking at potentially huge losses in the next election.

I really do think...and probably mostly hope...the majority of Americans want the extremes of both parties jettisoned into space and for the moderates of each side to take control.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Link is super broken
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:39 pm Link is super broken
Thank you. Super fixed.

Also Biden today (MLK Day):
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Biden elected to "get back to normal." Ok.

My girlfriend says the reason trump was bad was because he emboldened regular people to be awful, to hate on transgendered people and such. I told her that was impossible to prove, but I didn't argue otherwise.

If she's right, then we should all be electing a Ghandi over and over, so that people are compelled to be nicer to each other.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:12 pm If she's right, then we should all be electing a Ghandi over and over, so that people are compelled to be nicer to each other.
The people who voted for Trump wouldn't be voting for Ghandi.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Doesn't matter. Being nice is the only important thing.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Biden's record on drilling is worse than Trump's.

Again, Biden is just Trump with less tweeting.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

I'm just glad all the Mexican border prisons closed after the election since we heard about them nonstop under trump and now we never hear about them so Biden must have closed them.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

U.S. killed ISIS leader yesterday (good!), but they're now replicating the "war room" stories they did when bin Laden was killed.

Not sure what they're going for here (probably an approval bump), but nobody knew who this guy was.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Great they finally got that guy we never heard of and didn't know we were chasing.

Blood blood blood!