Peaceful Protesting 2020

For stuff that is general.
Troy

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Are you suggesting the multi-city riots and protests against the police are just because of the pandemic?
No - those things happened before the Pandemic.

It's adding fuel to existing flames, there are more people with less to do and less to lose.

These young lawyers, laid off by Pandemic related economic downturn, suddenly turned into firebombers: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... otest.html

It's too bad we don't have a stable, capable hand behind the wheel of the USA to calm things down. Instead we have a Twitter troll people voted for "reasons"
GORDON
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by GORDON »

Oh. Ok, I wasn't even considering the pandemic effect, so now I Iunderstand where you're coming from.

I'm speaking in more general terms, regarding "Peaceful Protesting 2020." There seems to be a segment of people who, flying the flag of goodness and liberty, are trying to march us to the downfall of civilization. That sounds hyperbolic, but our fiction is full of EOTW stories. Art reflects society.

Most people here know I have a personal problem with police......... so when the side who are against them get me to defending them, that should say something. I'd predict an 80% die-off of the american population in the absence of all law enforcement, within 2 years.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: there are more people with less to do and less to lose.
And going a little crazy.
Troy wrote: It's too bad we don't have a stable, capable hand behind the wheel of the USA to calm things down. Instead we have a Twitter troll people voted for "reasons"
Yes.
GORDON wrote: I'm speaking in more general terms, regarding "Peaceful Protesting 2020." There seems to be a segment of people who, flying the flag of goodness and liberty, are trying to march us to the downfall of civilization. That sounds hyperbolic, but our fiction is full of EOTW stories. Art reflects society.
It's like .1 to .2 % of the people, imho.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by Leisher »

This is the lady challenging the current mayor of Portland, Ted Wheeler. From what I understand, she's up 11 points and her catchphrase is "I am antifa".

She also has apparently never taken a history class or bothered to research her own political beliefs.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by GORDON »

Portland, Oregon?

She'll win in a landslide.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by TheCatt »

Chairman Mao? Nice.
GORDON
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by GORDON »

I wonder what body count is represented by the people in her dress. Wasn't Mao alone like 200 million people?
thibodeaux

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by thibodeaux »

If you go wearing a picture of Chairman Mao
You ain't gonna lose to Ted Wheeler anyhow

(you know it's gonna beeeeee.....all right!)

Edit: I wrote that before checking the tweet replies, honest
Leisher
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by Leisher »

Riots, not protests as protests are non-violent, continue in Portland.

This time they tore down a statue of that evil Abe Lincoln.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by GORDON »

I've seen a lot of those videos. The protesters usually provoke it hard.

Not saying it's right, but if I end up in a mob, and I think I'm going to be pulled from my car and have my skull crushed by a brick, I'll choose a murder trial over dying in the street.
Leisher
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by Leisher »

Totally agree with Gordon here.

I'm old enough to remember what happened to Reginald Denny. If an angry mob is surrounding my car, particularly if my family is inside, it's time to go. If you're in the way, that's on you.

Protesters have every right to protest. They do not have the right to inflict property damage or harass/intimidate innocent bystanders.

I would be curious to see the number of them that were arrested or who got off due to self defense. I'm guessing the majority are not arrested.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I'm guessing the majority are not arrested.
Did you read more than the headline?
here were more than 100 incidents of vehicles driving into protesters, according to data collected by a terrorism researcher.

Forty-three of those incidents have been identified as having malicious intent, said Ari Weil, of the University of Chicago's Project on Security and Threats.

Those cases were associated either with extremists, the yelling of slurs, drivers who turned back in an attempt to strike again -- or a second collision with protesters. Thirty-nine of those cases resulted in charges being filed, said Weil.
Leisher
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by Leisher »

Didn't even click the link, but glad to see I was right.
GORDON
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by GORDON »

Florida looking at a law allowing you to shoot looters. And makes it illegal to block traffic while protesting. And offers immunity if you run them over as a result.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/11/florida-g ... t-looters/

To me this is one of those, "OMG now they can shoot us if we're rioting and looting, none of us are safe" moments.
It also specifically allows force against those looting, which the draft defines as burglary within 500 feet of a “violent or disorderly assembly.”

DeSantis also wants to make it a third-degree felony to block traffic during a protest — and offer immunity to drivers who accidentally kill or injure protesters who do so, according to the Herald.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by TheCatt »

Laws have generally considered human life to be more valuable than property + inconvenience.
GORDON
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by GORDON »

Well it's certainly time for some progress and change on that subject.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Well it's certainly time for some progress and change on that subject.
Let's just shoot everybody if you cannot get to Starbucks fast enough.
GORDON
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by GORDON »

Well now you're changing the subject.

But I'm willing to hear your argument.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Well now you're changing the subject.

But I'm willing to hear your argument.
They said you could shoot people blocking the roads.