Peaceful Protesting 2020

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Peaceful Protesting 2020

Post by GORDON »

Wonder what Malcolm's doing.

Anyway, I used to read James Lileks a lot when he was writing about current events, but his fans got angry with him for not being liberal so then he switched to focusing on vintage matchstick covers, and I lost interest.

Anyway, he writes for the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, so I checked to see if he was swriting about the riots. Yep.

Read him, he's good.

http://lileks.com/bleats/archive/20/0520/052920.html

He noticed many looters were white and had on "Bernie" shirts, and were writing Marx quotes on walls.
They won’t win, but they can sow the despair that grows again next season. The weeds will be inedible, and the people who starve will ask for bread. They will be told to steal it, as this is now the moral thing to do.

It's always odd how the people who preach destruction are assumed to have skills in constructing the replacement, as if the fervent desire to tear things down is just one element of an endlessly kaleidoscopic intellect that apprehends what is to be done, and precisely how to do it.

But the bread runs out. What then? Ah, look over there: another remnant of the old, cursed order. Burn it, and we will be free. Not from want, not from the rule of others, but at least free from the old ways and the whispering voice of one's conscience. There is a new, louder voice in your ear now, and it approves of all that you do.

Until, of course, it doesn't.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: He noticed many looters were white and had on "Bernie" shirts, and were writing Marx quotes on walls.
But...the Twitters were saying they were cops!

Have you seen the video of the guy breaking the windows at the AutoZone? My first thought about him was genuinely, "I wonder if that's Malcolm?"

Also, that was a good article.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

"Nature is healing... Koreans are returning to rooftops"
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

Looters expanded to two other shopping areas, outside of downtown last night.

Raleigh has a curfew starting at 8pm. Let's see what happens.
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

At some point order has to be restored.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: At some point order has to be restored.
Yes. And hopefully soon.
GORDON
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by GORDON »

As long as a Simon Phoenix doesn't arise and keep the anarchy going, it won't last long.
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by GORDON »

I was speaking in general, like when protesters block a street holding hands to stop people from eating beef, or something. He pulled up an old post of mine to quote.
Troy

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Troy »

Is this trucker still alive? I saw another video of him getting pulled out of the truck soon after slowing down.
Troy

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Troy »

Troy wrote:
Is this trucker still alive? I saw another video of him getting pulled out of the truck soon after slowing down.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/truck-driv ... state-35w/

Beat-up, arrested.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

I don't think it's a fair comparison, given the lack of violence/looting, iirc, from the protests last month.
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I don't think it's a fair comparison, given the lack of violence/looting, iirc, from the protests last month.
Exactly. Also, I don't see where Tom Cotton is saying "Crush them".

Again, order needs to be restored. Peaceful protests should absolutely continue, but the violence needs to end.
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

White supremacists faked an Antifa website to promote violence.

I don't care for how CNN tries to separate Antifa from the other hate groups in the article.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: White supremacists faked an Antifa website to promote violence.

I don't care for how CNN tries to separate Antifa from the other hate groups in the article.
"This account violated our platform manipulation and spam policy, specifically the creation of fake accounts," a Twitter spokesperson said in a statement. "We took action after the account sent a Tweet inciting violence and broke the Twitter Rules."
Maybe verify the account first, then worry about it, instead of vice versa (oh, Libertarian me is sad at me)
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

I truly, truly feel that we are well on our way to "mandated by law" verified social media accounts.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I truly, truly feel that we are well on our way to "mandated by law" verified social media accounts.
China was right :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

Well, the funny thing about political spectrums and types is that they're not always wrong about everything. They're generally right about some things.

Been thinking a lot about this image lately. Not sure he's wrong:
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

People will always make stupid assumptions when they only know part of the story.

Even better, the White House will tweet it out.