Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Rocks make lots of ripples. There's no way everything got fixed up with a couple rounds of stimulus checks and massive PPP loans to businesses that laid people off, anyway. We'll be feeling the ups and downs for years.....

like I always said. :-D
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Jobless claims lowest since September.

That is such a weird flex.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Looking forward to my bailout.

They'll probably have to wait until right before the next election to announce it though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:49 am They'll probably have to wait until right before the next election to announce it though.
PREACH!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:43 am The last time the national average price for gasoline rose was June 14, when it hit a record of $5.02.
Paid $3.09 for 93 octane today.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I paid $2.62 in Kentucky yesterday. That was nice.

Ohio has high gas tax, and NW Ohio is way above average prices for the state, for some reason.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

That's at least the 3rd time in the last decade they've been caught doing illegal shit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

It'd be pretty cool if their executives were thrown in jail rather than the company being made to pay some fines. I'm guessing they and the rest of the corporate world would learn something if the CEO of Wells Fargo was getting gangraped in prison for constantly breaking the law.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:42 pm It'd be pretty cool if their executives were thrown in jail rather than the company being made to pay some fines. I'm guessing they and the rest of the corporate world would learn something if the CEO of Wells Fargo was getting gangraped in prison for constantly breaking the law.
Yes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Ports are clear. Freight rates have plunged. Retailers are awash with goods. The Covid-19 pandemic may not be gone but the global supply chain is back to normal.
Normal
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Some more pretty large examples of how our government is failing us, and long term, this isn't going to end well.

Foreign owned farms in the SW are sucking our water resources dry and exporting it overseas.

People keep attacking/vandalizing the U.S.' very dated electrical grid.

Throw that on top of the state sponsored terrorism in the form of hacking and corporate espionage that the U.S. government allows to happen and I challenge anyone to show me that the president and Congress are efficiently being run and focused on things that actually matter.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Amazon to lay off more than 18,000.

Got to make those quarterly profits pop!

Bed Bath & Beyond is probably heading for extinction.

There is a place for them, but the large box store concept was not the way to go. I'd close the stores, sell my appliance inventory to Best Buy, and then rent a corner of their stores (BB always has one corner that is garbage) and a kiosk in every mall. Eliminating most of your overhead and do online/in-store ordering and deliveries.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:18 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:06 pm "Key inflation measure hits 39 year high"

Catt, are we all doomed?
Nah. A lot of it is energy, which cratered in 2020. Inflation isn't ideal, but it's better than stagflation or deflation. I think the Feds steps will help and things will slow down in 2022 inflationwise, but probably still higher than normal. Let's guesttimate 4.0%. I'm also going to say no recession 2022.
Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:20 pm
TheCatt wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:18 pm Let's guesttimate 4.0%. I'm also going to say no recession 2022.
Remind me?

!RmindMe 1/13/2023
Well, I'll take partial credit :)

There was no recession. Economy did very well. Fed did step in, but inflation was running about 7% (no finalized #s for 2022). Natural gas has recently plummeted ($4 down from a peak of $10, and a trading zone of $6-$9 for most of the year) thanks to a warm winter, so inflation #s for 2023 should get an early reprieve once that starts making its way into the system
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Housing market predictions from a fuckton of places.

7M American "men" have simply stopped looking for jobs.

Of course they have. They're probably sitting at home worried about what gender they are while trying to become TikTok rich and famous.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Remember when housing prices never went down? Those were some days.
Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:11 am 7M American "men" have simply stopped looking for jobs.
I know several people in that age range who have retired. But I assume most of those people are just losers :) Seriously, though, raise minimum wage and make working more worthwhile.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:00 pm raise minimum wage
Convince me how that doesn't fuck the entire economy. Being absolutely serious and not hostile.

However, any answer that assumes businesses will not push that additional cost onto consumers is utopian bullshit. How does it not drive, already high, prices higher? You will need to account for everyone currently making whatever minimum wage moves to being angered and demanding raises or quitting. Also, please take into account the ever present "every quarter must be more profitable than the last" garbage that Wall St forces.
TheCatt wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:00 pm make working more worthwhile.
Agree. This is where I think as a nation we need to go, but I'm not sure raising the minimum wage is that solution. I don't know if there is a solution as long as Wall St. is completely broken.