Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:19 pm
Troy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:53 pm I sure has hell am.
I'm not :(

But, I kinda make a stupid amt of $ already.
But it's now worth 10% less... soo....
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:29 am
Leisher wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:55 am We need a culling so the economy can come back stronger with better people.
Probably the 'wrong' people having babies.
Idiocracy was a documentary.
Troy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:14 pm My source was reading an update from the union reps on twitter, but I'm sure we can find better.
Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit right there. I trust union people about as much as your typical politician. They have nothing to gain from ever admitting defeat or even concessions, but everything to gain from lying their asses off to make it seem like they were perfect. You know, like politicians.

That being said, I truly hope the actual workers got a great deal.

From CBS:
Kellogg's said most workers at its cereal plants earned an average of $120,000 last year, though union members have said they work more than 80 hours a week to earn that, and those wages are only available to longtime workers. Under the two-tiered pay system the company uses, newer workers are paid less and receive fewer benefits.

That pay system has been a sticking point during the negotiations, and Kellogg's offer didn't change on that part of the contract.
$120K for fucking plant workers? In Michigan? No wonder food costs so much, holy shit.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:21 pm $120K for fucking plant workers? In Michigan? No wonder food costs so much, holy shit.
On a FTE basis it's only $60k. Which still seems pretty good.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

Leisher this is the most reactionary I’ve ever seen you!

They are working 80 hours a week! 40 regular and 40 hours (so they are paid time and a half or double time) in OT?

Sounds like this is again on Kellogg’s.

A Park ranger in SF made like $300k last year. For exactly the same reason. He set the schedule and gave himself unlimited OT.
Last edited by Troy on Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:44 pm
TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:19 pm
Troy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:53 pm I sure has hell am.
I'm not :(

Well, it's only 6.8%... and my mortgage is now worth 6.8% less too, so that's a small win.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:19 pm
Troy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:44 pm
TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:19 pm I'm not :(

Well, it's only 6.8%... and my mortgage is now worth 6.8% less too, so that's a small win.
And house worth more too probably?

I’m still asking for 10%
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:55 pmFTE
Troy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:18 pm Leisher this is the most reactionary I’ve ever seen you!
Ha!
Troy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:18 pm They are working 80 hours a week! 40 regular and 40 hours (so they are paid time and a half or double time) in OT?

Sounds like this is again on Kellogg’s.
There's something about this that doesn't make sense. Why would Kellogg allow these people to work 80 hours per week? They don't want to pay time and a half. That's bad business. I wonder if the new contract removes time and a half or allows Kellogg to hire more temp workers to eliminate all that overtime? I wonder if the previous contract allowed these workers to get away with working 80 hour weeks and make a killing on OT. I know that happens a lot at the car manufacturers around here.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I think I read something about an inability to find more workers, which overworked the ones they had. Regular rate + bennies is probably less than time and a half? Dunno.

And Kelloggs could be lying about that, not trying to find new hires. Also dunno.

Too much being hidden on purpose to have a good view of it as an outsider.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I think what may be needed is a federal cap on hours. When one person isn't doing the job of two-three, that opens up more jobs. Mandate a 32 hour work-week, and that opens up another 20% of opportunity for someone else. And then everyone has better mental health and quality of life.

So.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:23 am I think what may be needed is a federal cap on hours. When one person isn't doing the job of two-three, that opens up more jobs. Mandate a 32 hour work-week, and that opens up another 20% of opportunity for someone else. And then everyone has better mental health and quality of life.

So.
Given our existing labor shortage...
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

And you can't overwork people, because they either close the Burger King early or go on strike at Kellogg's.

If working wasn't such a soul-crushing experience, maybe more people would go back to work.

I hope they don't decide the solution is to overcrowd the country more by swinging open wide the immigration doors.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

There must be a ship full of egg noodles stuck in LA harbor. 3 grocery stores today, all out of egg noodles.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

"White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow predicted Monday that the coronavirus outbreak is a short term economic hurdle — a matter of "weeks and months," he said — rather than a harbinger of longer-term strife in the U.S. economy."
Man he nailed that call.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I know our current supply chain shortages are different from shortages in the Soviet Union in the 70s and 80s.

But pictures of bare shelves there then, and here now, sure do give the same sense of foreboding.

One of the examples that "capitalism works so much better" has always been full grocery store shelves. Their bare ones are always offered as a prediction of their fall. And here we are. No processors available, cars becoming more primitive because of it (if you can even find one for sale), inflation shooting up, coke dropping all their flavors, and no egg noodles on the shelf for a month.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Honestly, it's like 5-10% of stuff that's out of stock or in short supply. People are overly dramatic.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Versus 0-1% being out of stock 3 years ago. It's a bad trend.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:06 am Versus 0-1% being out of stock 3 years ago. It's a bad trend.
According to studies, are grocery stores it's around 10% now vs 5% pre-pandemic.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

So it's a bad trend.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:25 am So it's a bad trend.
It was a step up, actually better than it was in 2020, so trending down.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

I noticed supply issues were way worse when I was East of (and including) Ohio. Way more of "we are out" at restaurants and stores then in CA.
Last edited by Troy on Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.