Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:59 pm I'm definitely pro increasing the minimum wage. Where we are a lot of places are paying $12-15 for entry level stuff anyway.
I'm extremely torn on the minimum wage issue.

I think people should be able to survive on any wage, but I also know how corporations will afford these more expensive workers:
1) They will pass it onto consumers
2) Automation
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

And all of that is fine. We survived just fine when minimum wage was (adjusted for inflation) more than $9/hour.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

I'm fine with this :)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Head of private school in Miami is a moron
In a letter to parents and teachers, the school asked teachers and staff who want to be vaccinated to wait until the end of the school year.

The letter also said that they “cannot allow recently vaccinated people near students.”

“It is our policy, to the extent possible, not to employ anyone who has taken the experimental COVID-19 injection until further information is known,” according to the email.

She then pointed to theories that have been debunked by doctors and the Centers for Disease Control.

“Tens of thousands of women all over the world have recently been reporting adverse reproductive issues simply from being in close proximity with those who have received any one of the COVID-19 injections, e.g., irregular menses, bleeding, miscarriages, post-menopausal hemorrhaging, and amenorrhea (complete loss of menstruation).

No one knows exactly what may be causing these irregularities, but it appears that those who have received the injections may be transmitting something from their bodies to those with whom they come in contact. Until more is known, we must err on the side of caution when it comes to the welfare of our students and the school team.”
Bullshit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Wow.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Also, GDP is back to where it was pre-Covid.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:31 pm Also, GDP is back to where it was pre-Covid.
CNN - Biden leads U.S. back to prosperity reversing downward course Trump set!
FOX - U.S. back to prosperity thanks to Trump's policies and despite Biden!

Robinhood takes a shot at Buffett.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

The economy through trump's term was credited to obama's policies, so fair's fair.

Yeah right.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:56 pm The economy through trump's term was credited to obama's policies, so fair's fair.

Yeah right.
4 years isn't really enough to have much impact. But, 8 years...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Job report sucked.

CNN - Fucking Trump!
FOX - We told you Biden sucked!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:31 am Job report sucked.

CNN - Fucking Trump!
FOX - We told you Biden sucked!
Good news for inflation watchers.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Rs want to kill the extra cash given out to the unemployed.

Ds are arguing people want to work, but can't find jobs.

Also, on CNN: There are shortages on all these things.
suppliers are having trouble keeping up demand because of difficulties attracting workers
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

At this moment, I have to say that the "There are plenty of jobs" argument wins. We're still 6M jobs below pre-pandemic.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

We ordered food last night and I had to go pick it up. I waited almost 45 minutes past the original time quoted.

Watched a Postmates driver get snarky with the head chef/manager/probably owner on how long they were waiting. Chef also got on the phone with someone trying to prevent more orders from coming in. The whole time he was bitching about how nobody wants to work, and thus, they were crazy short staffed.

This is a common theme throughout the restaurant industry. There's a service plaza between here and Cleveland whose Starbucks has been closed for a good half year because they simply cannot find employees.

I see "help wanted" jobs posted at most businesses I frequent.

Not to mention the fucking truck driver shortage that's been going on for years now, and only getting worse.

Jobs are out there and anyone saying otherwise is full of shit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:17 pm We ordered food last night and I had to go pick it up. I waited almost 45 minutes past the original time quoted.

Watched a Postmates driver get snarky with the head chef/manager/probably owner on how long they were waiting. Chef also got on the phone with someone trying to prevent more orders from coming in. The whole time he was bitching about how nobody wants to work, and thus, they were crazy short staffed.
Well, it was Mother's Day which is always insane for going out/ordering out.

That being said...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Overheard a conversation at grocery store the other day. Someone asked the coke supply person when "whatever flavor" would be restocked. His answer was that they only have one line running, because they can't get people to come back to work. That one line alternates between flavors, and some have higher priority over others.

I see anecdotes like that all the time, alongside online memes which mocks that point of view and says things like "You told them that if they didn't like working for $2.50 an hour plus tips, to find other jobs. They did. So now if you want them back pay a living wage."

The weather is right for a shift in how we think of employees/jobs. We might have to break out that "minimum basic income" to get people back to work, because I don't think robots are there yet to replace them all.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:48 pm "You told them that if they didn't like working for $2.50 an hour plus tips, to find other jobs. They did. So now if you want them back pay a living wage."
I see these too and they're pretty short sighted. Once the government stops paying people to not work, let's see if that meme still fits the situation.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Just increase the minimum wage already. $12, index it to inflation in nickel increments.