Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:45 pm
GORDON wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:41 pm Yes everything is back to normal.
Normal enough.
The economy is being held together with duct tape right now. Way too many job openings. Supply shortages in most industries. The delta variant is threatening more shutdowns. Almost a million families are about to be evicted. Restaurants are nowhere near normal hours/days thanks to not having staff. Places are offering insane wages 3x or more higher than they used to pay. All costs are being passed to consumers who have lost even more spending power. "Inflation" is talked about constantly. But I guess as long as corporations are able to continue playing the shell game to make their bottom line look good to Wall St, we're all a-ok?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:28 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:45 pm
GORDON wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:41 pm Yes everything is back to normal.
Normal enough.
The economy is being held together with duct tape right now. Way too many job openings. Supply shortages in most industries. The delta variant is threatening more shutdowns. Almost a million families are about to be evicted. Restaurants are nowhere near normal hours/days thanks to not having staff. Places are offering insane wages 3x or more higher than they used to pay. All costs are being passed to consumers who have lost even more spending power. "Inflation" is talked about constantly. But I guess as long as corporations are able to continue playing the shell game to make their bottom line look good to Wall St, we're all a-ok?
There are strains, but realistically things are basically OK, and going the right direction. Labor force participation dropped from 63.4% to 61.7%. That's 2.7M people who are not working, who were before. Because of the stimulus and unemployment checks, those are going to be the people at the margins. The restaurant workers, the factory workers. It's going to cause some issues. At it's worst, the participation rate was 60.2%. Inflation is happening, after we had 3 months of deflation to start the pandemic. But it the grand scheme of things, it's not terrible, and it's probably transitory. Let the unemployment checks stop this month, and we'll see more normal as people return to the workforce.

Very few places, if any, are offering 3x what they used to offer. I've seen a lot of 25-50% more, but again, at the margins.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:45 am There are strains, but realistically things are basically OK, and going the right direction.
I'm fine with this, although knowing that delta, lambda, or the new strain in Africa could fuck everything up.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

The chip production issues seem to have less to do with the pandemic at this point. But will continue for a while. Apparently a large plant had a fire in March. Just no slack in the production lines, and capacity takes years to add.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

If the fire was because of staffing shortages, I'm calling pandemic-related
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:21 am If the fire was because of staffing shortages, I'm calling pandemic-related
There is no evidence it was due to staffing issues.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

No evidence it's not! BAM, CHECKMATE! Your house of cards is falling like dominos. Touchdown.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I ordered frozen dog food on Monday, it shipped from Indy Tuesday, I always get it by Wednesday. Not this time. It didn't come until today, through FedEx Home. The driver told me they have no workers at the hub in Perrysburg, and they're bussing employees in from Michigan every day. Lots of people quit and/or just not showing up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Chip shortage could last 2-3 years, driven in part due to electronic cars which require 10x the # of semiconductors.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

People are not getting laid off
Weekly jobless claims totaled 310,000 for the week ended Sept. 4, another fresh low for the pandemic era.
That was below the Dow Jones estimate of 335,000 and a decline from the previous week’s 345,000.
Continuing claims fell to 2.78 million, a drop of 22,000.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

" grocery stores not going back to normal this year"

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/09/busi ... index.html

10 years to normality prediction still in play
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Jobless claims below 300,000 for first time since pandemic started. Still above the 219k average for 2019.
thibodeaux

Post-Corona Economy

Post by thibodeaux »

Can't some of those people go drive a truck or be stevedores or something?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:18 pm Can't some of those people go drive a truck or be stevedores or something?
We've made it shameful in this country to do a hard day's work. Everyone has to have a college degree and work in a cubicle or they're ignorant and wasting their life.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:18 pm Can't some of those people go drive a truck or be stevedores or something?
It's a freaking LOTTERY to get a stevedore job, thanks to the unions.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:20 pm
We've made it shameful in this country to do a hard day's work. Everyone has to have a college degree and work in a cubicle or they're ignorant and wasting their life.
People would rather wear-and-tear their car doing "gig work" for $10 an hour rather than flip burgers for 15. Idiots.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Keep the unions out of it, and within a month you could have a massive, new floating dock system off some city that currently doesn't have one. Let the Japanese design and build it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:07 pm Keep the unions out of it, and within a month you could have a massive, new floating dock system off some city that currently doesn't have one. Let the Japanese design and build it.
This isn't the first time we've had issues with the docks over there in the past 20 years. I'm GUESSING that it's basically impossible to build a new dock on that coast for environmental reasons or something.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Build it 3 miles out in international waters. Ferry the boxes in 1 by 1 under some different environmental/shipping rule.

Still have the japanese do it. They're efficient and competent and there's a non-zero chance the entire port structure could turn into a giant robot, as needed.