Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:51 pm I knew you'd be the one nitpicking. I should have called it.
I mean, details matter
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Overall to the point I was making, it doesn't.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:26 pm Leisher didn't read the article he posted.
I was going off of previous information about these trials and the "new" 40 hour work week. Apologies. To be fair, I'm amazed the whole article is written without mentioning racism or how traditional 40 hour work weeks negatively impact minority communities the most. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Don't forget women, and those who identify as LGBTQ
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:54 pm We're at a point in our civilization where we don't need to be increasing productivity by double digits every year.
We increase productivity by about 1-2% a year. GDP grows about 2-3% a year. It's not like there's a massive economic cushion.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:10 pm Fed will cut asset purchases completely by March 2022, and will probably raise rates 3x next year.

Note: This has always been a turbulent time for markets, regardless of how expected the actions are.

I'm going to go bold and say that the stock market barely moves over the next year, or goes down.
DJIA 35,641.50
S&P 500 4,648.59
NASDAQ 15,251.42

- Cake says "I'm going to predict a pretty harsh slide next year, with some recovery but resulting in the markets being lower next year."

- Leisher says "pain"

!RmindMe 12/15/2022
OK, a little early but...

Markets = Down 15% from that post.
Cakedaddy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Each one did something different.

DJ went down but pretty much recovered. If this was the Price is Right showdown, you'd have won with that estimate.
S&P couldn't make up its mind about what to do.
NASDAQ tanked and stayed down.

My investments are down about 16% from last year. Ouch. Pretty much erased all of my 2021 gains (and then some). Curious how you guys did (if you care to share) so I know if I need to change managers!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:23 pm My investments are down about 16% from last year. Ouch. Pretty much erased all of my 2021 gains (and then some). Curious how you guys did (if you care to share) so I know if I need to change managers!
1) Index fund + chill. No need to pay a manager.

2) I don't track pieces of our portfolio, only the total. We're up cuz a lot of our $$ is invested in the fund where I work, and it's had a good year.

But the S&P500 is down about 15% +/-, so 16% down is ballpark.
Cakedaddy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Cakedaddy »

1. Does your index fund charge an upkeep?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:25 pm 1. Does your index fund charge an upkeep?
0.03%

there are 0% funds if you want, from Fidelity.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

I've got until next summer and I got pull out 50% of my retirement here and invest it elsewhere to diversify. Can't wait.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Used car prices falling, still 43% higher than pre-pandemic.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:25 am Used car prices falling, still 43% higher than pre-pandemic.
Exactly the same way I look at the housing market.

Real estate agents - "Prices are falling buy now!!!"
Me - "How about we wait until they fall back to where they were before they were artificially inflated?"
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:35 am
TheCatt wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:25 am Used car prices falling, still 43% higher than pre-pandemic.
Exactly the same way I look at the housing market.

Real estate agents - "Prices are falling buy now!!!"
Me - "How about we wait until they fall back to where they were before they were artificially inflated?"
I think the new floor will be higher than where they were. 1) mortgage rates seem to have peaked (but maybe not). 2) a lot of $ was injected into the economy, so that's just a permanent increase.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:42 am I think the new floor will be higher than where they were.
I expect that, yes. That's business 101, never miss a chance to raise prices.

I drive by an Arby's every day and their sign currently says 4 roast beef sandwiches for $10.

I remember, as an adult, getting 5 for $5.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

1998ish was the last time there was a 5 for 5.

That's the Gen-X version of "When I was little soda pop only cost a nickel."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Is Bazooka Joe gum still around? Still $.03 and $.05?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:05 pm Is Bazooka Joe gum still around? Still $.03 and $.05?
oh man i loved that stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I was a Swedish Fish man. One cent each at the little corner grocery. Find a dime on the sidewalk? Fuck yeah, swedish fish. Find a loose pop bottle with a 10 cent deposit? Etc
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »