Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

I stand by the horsepussy.

There are a lot of factors that dude in the article didn't address. Just off the top of my head, the new trend of not releasing completed games, and instead releasing unfinished games that require more purchases to complete might qualify as something important to this? How about DLC being released as season passes that cost as much as or just below full retail price? Corporations trying to use Kickstarter and Early Access to get consumers to fund their games. And a bunch of other shit.

End of the day, corporations don't want to make less money. If the decision comes down to "put the money in our pocket and people will still buy it" or "give the people a discount", keeping the money will always win.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 pm I stand by the horsepussy.
Remember 1982, when this cost $40? I do.

That'd be $115 today. For something you couldn't even sell today because game quality has increased so much. In that same time, median household income in the US has increased from $60k to $76k/year. Things are cheaper, and we have more money.
Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 pm End of the day, corporations don't want to make less money. If the decision comes down to "put the money in our pocket and people will still buy it" or "give the people a discount", keeping the money will always win.
Duh, but that's what competition is for. Video games aren't an island, people can buy other games, or movies, or books, or hookers, or drugs, etc.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:11 pm That'd be $115 today. For something you couldn't even sell today because game quality has increased so much.
I'm not a fan of the "today's dollars" arguments. They make no sense because they only talk about the value of the dollar at different times and nothing else. Pac Man wouldn't have sold for $115 then or now, so is it credible to claim to use it to make a point about cost? I don't think so.
TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:11 pm In that same time, median household income in the US has increased from $60k to $76k/year. Things are cheaper, and we have more money.
Someone should probably tell all of these people how much money they have and how cheap stuff is...

Meanwhile, corporate profits are at record highs.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm I'm not a fan of the "today's dollars" arguments. They make no sense because they only talk about the value of the dollar at different times and nothing else. Pac Man wouldn't have sold for $115 then or now, so is it credible to claim to use it to make a point about cost? I don't think so.
FINE - You wanted PacMan, you gave up 25 Big Macs ($1.60 each in 1982), which is $100 today. It's absolutely credible, and you are absolutely wrong. PacMan cost $115 back then, the end.

Your argument here is terrible, and you would get walked out the room of any economics argument. inflation-adjusted $$ is the only valid comparison for historical prices. That nickel ice cream means nothing today. Or, you can talk about it as a % of median income, but that has a separate set of adjustments to it.
thibodeaux

Post-Corona Economy

Post by thibodeaux »

We also got E.T.
Still, E.T., as well as an extremely shoddy (and also over-printed) port of arcade hit Pac-Man, became inextricably tied to the failures of Atari as a whole. By Q2 1983, Warner posted a loss of over $300 million and reported that it had $10 million of unsold Atari inventory sitting in warehouses around the country. In March 1983, Atari fired 1,700 members of its staff, and in April the company moved its manufacturing plants overseas. This meant that Atari's El Paso, TX plant was closed down.
Imagine that in today's dollars :shock:
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:14 pm We also got E.T.
That was a massive disaster.

I picked PacMan because I wanted that game SOOOOO badly, and we got it, and it sucked balls. We never bought ET.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Iirc they gave the ET programmer like 3 days to code the entire thing. Shocker, sucked.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:59 pm FINE - You wanted PacMan, you gave up 25 Big Macs ($1.60 each in 1982), which is $100 today. It's absolutely credible, and you are absolutely wrong. PacMan cost $115 back then, the end.
No, it's stupid and the only people who care about such examples whenever they're brought up are economists.
TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:59 pm Your argument here is terrible, and you would get walked out the room of any economics argument.
My argument is logical, but economists need to defend the steaming piles of horseshit they've invented to justify all the complexity they've added to money. I really don't know who is worse, politicians or economists.

P.S. Most economists couldn't walk anyone out of a room.

:D
TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:59 pm inflation-adjusted $$ is the only valid comparison for historical prices. That nickel ice cream means nothing today. Or, you can talk about it as a % of median income, but that has a separate set of adjustments to it.
Seriously though, I have always understood the logic behind the inflation adjusted money for historical pricing. I learned about it in the 80s thanks to discussions about box office records. (Star Wars vs The Wizard of Oz) I just don't think it's flawless.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:25 pm Seriously though, I have always understood the logic behind the inflation adjusted money for historical pricing. I learned about it in the 80s thanks to discussions about box office records. (Star Wars vs The Wizard of Oz) I just don't think it's flawless.
Well, either way, PacMan was a total piece of shit, but still cost > $100 in today's money, and people bought it. 8 year old me was very sad about this.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I always wonder why striking workers aren't immediately fired and replaced.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm Pandemic made the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:29 pm I always wonder why striking workers aren't immediately fired and replaced.
Ostensibly they have some skills that cannot just be replaced immediately, or there's enough of them that firing all of them is disruptive.
Also, there's customer perception
while many customers have said they are boycotting Kellogg’s products.
But except in the most egregious scenarios, I wonder how effective that really is.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

U.S. commuters are on pace to lose 36 hours to traffic in 2021, 10 hours more than in 2020 but 63 hours less than in 2019.
Commuting is still much better than it was.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Have lost track of my number of commutes through Atlanta in 2021. Still seems shitty.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:38 pm But except in the most egregious scenarios, I wonder how effective that really is.
I'm guessing not very. My in-laws are D voting, union loving folk (he worked for Jeep for 30+ years). They heard the union talking heads say to boycott Walmart. They abided by it...until there were items there at prices they couldn't ignore. Then they ran into other union folks there. They came to realize they were essentially punishing themselves to give the union clout, but it was completely ineffective. Walmart is the largest brick and mortar retailer in the world. It hasn't hurt them in the slightest.

Although my boycott of Jimmy Johns forced the founder to sell! :P
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Not having a JJ anywhere near me has helped me boycott them 100%.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:11 pm Have lost track of my number of commutes through Atlanta in 2021. Still seems shitty.
Just imagine how shitty Atlanta was in 2019! Cuz, seriously... it's a fucking hole.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Hmmm, a little bit of national attention, and the port problem is basically solved?

Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

It's weird how there wasn't a problem in June and July.