Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:56 pm Someone tell Elon Musk there's a shitload of money to be made, here. He'll have a new gigaport up and running in 3 months.

Maybe he doesn't want to deal with the Longshoremen, though.
I don't think he can build a west coast port in Texas.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

I mean, you legally have to report income anyway, so not sure why anyone would care about this change that shouldn't impact them at all.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

I'm sure there are lots of people who do business this way, but don't report any of it. Lots of that business is probably legal business too...

I'm more curious how they're going to deal with money transfers/payments. For example: My family went to Disneyworld with another family a few years back. We bought all the Disney passes and whatnot. The other family reimbursed us via Venmo and it was over $1K easily. That's going to trigger something to the feds.

Are they just going to ask about it? Will they compare your transactions? Will they simply read the note on the payment "Reimbursement for Disney Tickets"?

And again, this seems like a lot of effort for chump change. Call me crazy, but shouldn't we be auditing government spending and doing more to close loopholes for corporations instead of going after these piss ant little transactions?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Leisher wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:35 pm Americans are in record debt.

This will end well.
Prices "surging" more than in 30 years.

Again, this is going to end really, really well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux

Post-Corona Economy

Post by thibodeaux »

All restaurants are Taco Bell now
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:46 am All restaurants are Taco Bell now
That movie predicted the future better than Nostradamus ever did.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:49 am Walmart is doing great.
Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:49 am Walmart is doing great.
FUCKERS DELAYED BY OLED SWITCH BY LIKE A WEEK!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

People are still buying groceries. They aren't buying cars and video cards there.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Their electronics area seemed to be very well stocked last time I was there. Although, off brand stuff probably hasn't been in high demand until now...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Macy's is back.

CVS to close 900 stores.

At lot of this is them dumping old stores (and I'm guessing some CA stores), but also it sounds like they want to lean more into the healthcare area.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Just drove my mom's RV to Florida for her. Plan was to pick up my kid on the way down, do a couple days of diving, park the RV, rent a car, drive him back to Atlanta, then hop on a plane for home.

No one will rent me a car for a one way trip. "Theres a car shortage , we can't let cars leave Orlando."

So I've rented a 15' U-Haul to drive from Orlando to Atlanta.

10 years to normality.

Well, 8.5, now.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:27 pm "Theres a car shortage , we can't let cars leave Orlando."
Imagine a world where car rental companies didn't need to sell their fleets during covid to artificially show a "profit" to keep shareholders happy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:21 pm
GORDON wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:27 pm "Theres a car shortage , we can't let cars leave Orlando."
Imagine a world where car rental companies didn't need to sell their fleets during covid to artificially show a "profit" to keep shareholders happy.
It wasn't to artificially show a profit, it was because they were over-leveraged and went bankrupt.
By May, Hertz had filed for bankruptcy. To conserve cash, the company, which had opened for business in 1918 with one dozen Ford Model T’s, canceled $4 billion in new orders and dumped 198,000 cars into the used car market, according to securities filings.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

That is not what I was hearing in 2020 or earlier this year via travel outlets. Interesting. Is it possible that's just Hertz?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:45 am That is not what I was hearing in 2020 or earlier this year via travel outlets. Interesting. Is it possible that's just Hertz?
Afaik, only Hertz went bankrupt, but others got close. The others were losing lots of $$ though, so they sold cars that weren't being used to get cashflow back.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

One question I do have about the car shortage caused by that mass selloff is "Where did they all go?"

Grocery prices rising.

Target will never open on Turkey Day again.

That's the right move for Target. Is one day's sales worth the shitty PR and bad relations with your employees?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Dollar tree prices going up $.25.

They should be forced to rename themselves.