The SCOTUS thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:54 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:27 pm Frontrunner(?) for Breyer's seat has GOP support.

Seems like she'd be a slam dunk nomination.
Progressives will hate her for corporate law
Fair, but they need to find someone that does appeal to both sides a bit. What's the vote requirement for a SCOTUS nominee? I forget.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:56 pm What's the vote requirement for a SCOTUS nominee? I forget.
I think it's just 50. So they just need every Dem.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:00 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:56 pm What's the vote requirement for a SCOTUS nominee? I forget.
I think it's just 50. So they just need every Dem.
Or enough Rs to replace Dems they lose.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

Bake the cake for the gay wedding, citizen.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:52 am Bake the cake for the gay wedding, citizen.
If you want to have a public business, yes.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

I thought it was a private bakery, not owned by the government.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:24 am I thought it was a private bakery, not owned by the government.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_ac ... ted_States

They can be a church and discriminate, though. State law in Colorado says they have to make the cake.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

It is an interesting case though. We've seen people turned away from various businesses for right/left leanings, but none made the news that the gay cake did.

Not sure if you serve the public if you should be allowed to turn anyone away barring some "club" or membership setup.

I would like to know how this case would relate to one like the R Senator (state?) Waltz. He wanted to air the very "anti-corporations doing business with China" ad and NBC refused to air it despite him buying air time.

Turns out they should have aired it. Nobody was watching anyway...
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:05 pm We've seen people turned away from various businesses for right/left leanings, but none made the news that the gay cake did.
Colorado made it a protected class, federally it is not. And neither are politics.
Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:05 pm Not sure if you serve the public if you should be allowed to turn anyone away barring some "club" or membership setup.
That's basically how I feel.
Cakedaddy

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Cakedaddy »

Being a contractor, I'd want to be able to pick who I work for. I'd hate to have to take a job on the death star only to blown up by rebels along the way.f

Why didn't the guy just say "Sorry. I'm too busy."
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:51 pm Being a contractor, I'd want to be able to pick who I work for. I'd hate to have to take a job on the death star only to blown up by rebels along the way.
Clerks has a point, BUT it would have to be a situation where you feel like your life would be in danger.
Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:51 pm Why didn't the guy just say "Sorry. I'm too busy."
It legit boggles my mind why so many people are open with their bigotry. "You seem like a nice gay couple, let me tell you why I hate you." Just pretend to be working on dates, say you are booked then, and recommend other bakeries.
Cakedaddy

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:15 pm It legit boggles my mind why so many people are open with their bigotry.
"Because I'm right, of course."

I guess they think they'll help end gayness by not baking them a cake.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

IIRC they took the wedding job, and after the fact found out it was same-sex.

I mean, five minutes prior to that Obama claimed marriage was for a man and woman. So it isn't like it was an uncommon sentiment.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Biden's nominee gets a conservative endorsement.

Although, black militant Twitter has also pointed out that all three of Biden's candidates have white husbands, so racism!
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:10 pm Although, black militant Twitter has also pointed out that all three of Biden's candidates have white husbands, so racism!
Last night I was driving my wife and a super liberal female friends of ours to dinner, as they were going out + drinking, so I was chauffeur. The restaurant was near an Asian grocery store, and my wife said she was glad I was driving as the parking lot is a little crazy (it is, lots of traffic due to the supermarket, often very full), and our friend said in a whispering voice "Yeah, with all the Asians driving"
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

SCOTUS passes on Cosby case.

I think they're right to pass. He made a deal that prosecutors betrayed. They would inevitably find in his favor and then get labeled as protecting a rapist.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

WH defends Jackson on pedo sentences with whataboutism.

They're not wrong, but neither side is coming off in a good light here.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »