The SCOTUS thread

For stuff that is general.
Troy

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Troy »

Guess I'm a little surprised at the outcome - given the make-up of the Supreme Court right now?

I read the decision as "A private company can end a previous easement and access to that easement (like an access road/trail/path/bridge) if they feel like it."

I mean damn.

Buy your house with a LLC, and fuck your neighbors over.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:40 pm Guess I'm a little surprised at the outcome - given the make-up of the Supreme Court right now?

I read the decision as "A private company can end a previous easement and access to that easement (like an access road/trail/path/bridge) if they feel like it."

I mean damn.

Buy your house with a LLC, and fuck your neighbors over.
Well, only if FERC tells you you can do it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Well this has to be breaking people's brains...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Good.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

Spank their asses.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Oh, let's go ahead and make predictions.
Mississippi's Gestational Age Act, passed in 2018 but blocked by two federal courts, allows abortion after 15 weeks "only in medical emergencies or for severe fetal abnormality" and has no exception for rape or incest. If doctors perform abortions outside the parameters of the law they will have their medical licenses suspended or revoked and may be subject to additional penalties and fines.
I predict SCOTUS agrees with MS, 5-4.
!Rmindme 6/1/2022
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

When Texas did their "a bounty on women seeking abortions!" thing recently, I saw a headline "Texas Overturns Roe v Wade!" Isn't that a gross misunderstanding of Roe v Wade? Didn't RvW say states can decide for themselves? Texas decided for itself.

I disagree with the decision Texas made, but still.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:31 pm When Texas did their "a bounty on women seeking abortions!" thing recently, I saw a headline "Texas Overturns Roe v Wade!" Isn't that a gross misunderstanding of Roe v Wade? Didn't RvW say states can decide for themselves? Texas decided for itself.
No, the whole point of Roe v Wade was that states cannot decide for themselves.
The Court resolved this balancing test by tying state regulation of abortion to the three trimesters of pregnancy: during the first trimester, governments could not prohibit abortions at all; during the second trimester, governments could require reasonable health regulations; during the third trimester, abortions could be prohibited entirely so long as the laws contained exceptions for cases when they were necessary to save the life or health of the mother
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

Well then I guess I had a gross misunderstanding of RvW.

I remember specific moments when professors and shit said it preserved the states' right to decide.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

3/4 of Americans are fine with abortions, but do want some restrictions.

I have no dog in the abortion fight, and while I would like to see more rights for dads, I don't think this is the area for that.

I do think there should be a cutoff at some point, but I don't know where that would be?

They should always be legal for rape, incest, and when the mother's life is at stake.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Now it's being said that it might be Barrett.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Who knows. But I do hope abortion stays legal, and that the TX law is struck down.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

SCOTUS to hear NC case about voter ID.

It's less about voter IDs and more about who has the power to do what.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Breyer just announced he's retiring. So Biden will get to nominate someone.

Also, SCOTUS will take on Affirmative Action.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

"... a move that could eliminate campus practices that have widely benefitted Black and Hispanic students."

"...a move that has widely discriminated against white and asian students."

I can see it going either way. SCOTUS once ruled that the obamacare tax wasn't actually a tax, it was a fee. My prediction is they'll rule whichever way gets them the least amount of shit at their cocktail parties.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Affirmative Action needs to go the way of the dodo. It's a racist policy and the country is supposedly about diversity and ending racism.

Want a proper way to admit students that fans of AA won't agree to?

Change the application process so no identifying information is given about the candidates. No name, no sex, no address, no identifying info at all. Just grades, GPA, classes, and extra culliculars/community work.

Of course, the complaint about this is "this gives white people an advantage". Amazing how people who want to end racism really want race to play a factor in as much as possible.