The SCOTUS thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

We just need a thread to cover SCOTUS.

SCOTUS rules against Mexican family.

Not sure I like this ruling. I understand it from a legal perspective, but I don't think there's any question that the border patrol agent was completely at fault. Seems like he's getting off very easy for murdering a kid.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Justice Roberts responds to Chuck Schumer threatening SCOTUS members.

Condemnation of Schumer came swiftly from the right, and governmental agencies. The left was pretty silent and until just now the story wasn't even on CNN's front page. (Seriously, I looked 20 minutes ago and nothing. Now there are two stories.)

Schumer backtracks a bit, but says he just used the wrong words and Rs are trying to incite something.

Fuck do I hate all these assholes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The left was pretty silent and until just now the story wasn't even on CNN's front page. (Seriously, I looked 20 minutes ago and nothing. Now there are two stories.)
It was there last night.
Leisher wrote: Fuck do I hate all these assholes.
Seriously. Kill them all.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: It was there last night.
Wonder why they pulled it this morning? Maybe they were working on writing the new ones?
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

This is a really good read. It's essentially about how a single ruling gave the U.S. government unlimited powers versus the powers the Founding Fathers intended.

The SCOTUS ruling that broke the Constitution.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: This is a really good read. It's essentially about how a single ruling gave the U.S. government unlimited powers versus the powers the Founding Fathers intended.

The SCOTUS ruling that broke the Constitution.
Ah, yes, the good ole interstate commerce clause. Basically unleashed the genie.

To be fair, though, a lot has changed since the late 1700s, and, imho, we as a country benefit from having a consolidated set of national laws rather than a patchwork of 50 states' worth of laws.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Big ruling from SCOTUS on state level criminal trials.

This means that in our word of "GIVE ME ATTENTION!!!" one person can completely alter a trial.

That's not being negative, but I see abuse on both sides.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Justice Neil Gorsuch penned the opinion and was joined in key parts by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor, Stephen Breyer and Brett Kavanaugh.
Justice Clarence Thomas concurred in the judgment on narrower grounds, whereas Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Elena Kagan joined Justice Samuel Alito's dissent.
That's... the oddest split I've seen in this Court lately.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

SCOTUS rules people cannot be fired for being gay or trans. I think that's a little bit of a shocker, imho.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

I think people should be able to be fired for their sexual preference IF they lied about it and it's a business where such a thing can negatively impact business.

So, for example, if a man transitioning to a woman gets hired at a strip club. :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I think people should be able to be fired for their sexual preference IF they lied about it and it's a business where such a thing can negatively impact business.

So, for example, if a man transitioning to a woman gets hired at a strip club. :D
Someone doesn't want to confront their latent fantasies.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: SCOTUS rules people cannot be fired for being gay or trans. I think that's a little bit of a shocker, imho.
It was a 6-3 decision, with Chief Justice John Roberts and Gorsuch joining the more liberal side of the court -- Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Stephen Breyer.

Gorsuch wrote the majority opinion, while Justices Samuel Alito, Brett Kavanaugh and Clarence Thomas dissented.
6-3 score.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: I think people should be able to be fired for their sexual preference IF they lied about it and it's a business where such a thing can negatively impact business.

Someone doesn't want to confront their latent fantasies.
They wouldn't let me dance!
Troy

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: SCOTUS rules people cannot be fired for being gay or trans. I think that's a little bit of a shocker, imho.
Right wing twitter is PISSED.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Are they? I haven't noticed anything from the right wingers I follow. The left wingers I follow seem pretty happy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

I dont follow much on twitter, but the ones I follow are probably more left than right, except the anti-abortion religious guy who doesn't know what to do cuz both parties suck.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

I see Roberts went against the right again. That's bound to piss them off.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Her life story is pretty amazing.