The SCOTUS thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

I'm already sick and tired of both sides turning her death into a political fight.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I'm already sick and tired of both sides turning her death into a political fight.
Yeah.

I think the Republicans should wait, per 2016. But, I have no expectation for them to wait.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

"This is very discriminatory and Trump should have to answer for this."
- Eric Trump, probably.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

The hypocrisy of Rs and Ds over the potential SCOTUS nominee is just disgusting and it boggles the mind how anyone fully supports either party. Each party is playing the opposite side of where they were in 2016.

And not to be a dick, but Ginsberg's last wish about no nominee being put up for confirmation until there's a new president is just that, a wish. Her words, while completely understandable considering Trump, have no legal power, so why are Ds acting like they should be honored? You know, except for the fact that they just want to nominate their own person.

On a personal note, I think the court should always be a 5-4 conservative majority. Not because I'm rooting for conservatives, but because we should always progress forward with caution, not abandon.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

A decent piece getting space on CNN's front page about how Rs AND Ds play politics with SCOTUS seats.

Written by an R and he doesn't shy away from pointing out R hypocrisy or Trump-isms.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Dems introducing a bill to limit SCOTUS justices to 18 years.

Ok. The president is already limited to 4 or 8 years. Limiting SCOTUS to 18 years could make sense.

But I feel like term limits should be put on the third branch...what was that branch again? Or are we to believe people spending decades there isn't as detrimental to a smoothly functioning government as in the other two branches? :roll:
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

If they limit congressmen as well, then I have no problem with their suggestion.

Wouldn't that be an official Amendment?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Wouldn't that be an official Amendment?
Yes and they would have a really hard time getting it passed.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

Yeah... They wouldn't vote to reduce the amount of time they have to make money in public service.

I saw a good meme the other day... how about instead of investigating people who were billionaires before they entered public service, we investigate people who became millionaires while IN public service.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I saw a good meme the other day... how about instead of investigating people who were billionaires before they entered public service, we investigate people who became millionaires while IN public service.
I'd vote for it.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

The nomination hearings are everything wrong with our government right now.

You've got one set of assholes pushing it forward rapidly so their candidate can get in.

You've got another set of assholes whining about it and claiming "America should decide", which is utter bullshit as they just want their candidate in, and if Biden wasn't leading in the polls, this would not be their message.

Honestly, who gives a shit if she'd be the deciding vote in overturning Obamacare? Do your jobs and write a better fucking law!
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

I saw a "respect RGBs dying request," and I wondered where that article was in the Constitution.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: You've got another set of assholes whining about it and claiming "America should decide", which is utter bullshit as they just want their candidate in, and if Biden wasn't leading in the polls, this would not be their message.
If American decided in 2016, they should decide in 2020. But it's all bullshit.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Judges shouldn't be party affiliated. Yes, I realize people will have their own opinions, but that's where we get into trouble.

Interpret the law with the Constitution being the foundation of it all. End of story.

And if we can't get there without bias, then maybe we need 4 liberal judges and 4 conservative judges. Once they take a case it cannot be dropped until they come to a decision. If a decision is not reached within 6 months of the trial then the most senior liberal and the most senior conservative each lose their jobs. :D
TheCatt wrote: If American decided in 2016, they should decide in 2020. But it's all bullshit.
ALL bullshit.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Abortion on the docket.

Call me crazy, but people seem to have really strong feelings about this issue...
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

A study on courts shows R appointed judges are more likely to give someone death.

This goes in the "why did you waste money on this study" pile. Is there next study going to determine if people who climb into a tiger's cage are more likely to be attacked by a tiger than people who don't?
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

SCOTUS won't hear challenge to "male only" draft.

I'm sure we won't hear a lot of cries from women about "sexism" over this one...

SCOTUS unanimously rules against people who enter the country illegally.
Troy

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:44 am Abortion on the docket.

Call me crazy, but people seem to have really strong feelings about this issue...
I think everyone should have their views here, America is America. I'd just like to have a rational discussion with someone which won't result to calling me Satan for my views.

I am particularly confused as to why the unborn are put on a pedestal by one side. Once born, little to no care seems to go towards saving addicts, the mentally ill, homeless, kids in for profit foster care, people doing endless time in for profit prisons, etc. Pro-life should be all life.

It'd be a stronger position to argue with if it actually encompasses everyone. Otherwise it seems to smack of men controlling women. You know, the patriarchy.
Last edited by Troy on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.