The SCOTUS thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

R leadership: “We’re in a great position to take a bunch of seats in the House and Senate. Let’s push through something that is politically unpopular with 2/3 of Americans not wanting it.”

Conspiracy theory: There’s no way these people are this stupid. This is all about keeping us divided.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

The “no exceptions for incest or rape” and the “tattle on your neighbors” aspects of all these new laws are just swell.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

They're not swell. They're not swell at all.

This stuff isn't on fleek in the slightest.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

You can't sue a cop for damages if they fail to read you your Miranda rights.

Everything else about it still works the same.

Inmates might soon be able to pick how they die by execution.

Ruling for 2 NC Rs to also defend a law being defended by the D state attorney general.

If I'm understanding this correctly, it basically means that if one party feels the other is not sufficiently making an effort to defend enacted law, then they can step in to help. In this case, the law being defended is about voter IDs and the D party is very against that concept, so it does make sense that the AG might be laying down a bit in the defense. The article has examples from other states of the parties being reversed for other issues.

In the biggest ruling so far today, SCOTUS strikes down NY's concealed carry law.

Who you expect to be mad is mad and experts say this expands 2nd amendment rights. Justices kind of sniping at each other over it:
In a dissent joined by the other liberals, Justice Stephen Breyer noted the recent spate of gun violence, listing several shootings including the massacre at the Buffalo grocery store earlier this year. Thursday’s ruling “severely burdens States’ efforts” to curb gun violence, Breyer wrote.

“The primary difference between the Court’s view and mine is that I believe the Amendment allows States to take account of the serious problems posed by gun violence that I have just described,” Breyer wrote. “I fear that the Court’s interpretation ignores these significant dangers and leaves States without the ability to address them.”

Justice Samuel Alito pushed back in his concurrence:

“And how does the dissent account for the fact that one of the mass shootings near the top of its list took place in Buffalo? The New York law at issue in this case obviously did not stop that perpetrator.”
Is the abortion ruling expected today?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:19 am Is the abortion ruling expected today?
Could be any day now. But they have to release it prior to their time off. So should be tomorrow or early next week.

As I understand it, they meet at 10am and release whatever for that day.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Row v Wade gone, just dropped.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:16 am Row v Wade gone, just dropped.
It's a terrible decision, and honestly, indefensible. If you want to discuss when life is created and all that, sure let's talk, but if you think a woman should have to carry a baby created by incest or rape, then you should have been aborted. That's the part that is indefensible. I also strongly agree with the dissenting opinion that this decision is not "giving the choice back to states" because there is no language about preventing a federal ban nationwide.

I personally don't think abortion should be looked at as an alternative to a condom, but I also don't believe it should be unavailable to women, particularly since our society does nothing to ensure they get the support they need to have the kid. We certainly don't do much to ensure the father is responsible. We already have too many people in the world. Too many people are poor, starving, and suffering. This ruling affects them far more than those with means.

As for "men's rights", I would ultimately agree that a guy is 50% responsible and should have a say, but NOT RIGHT NOW. When we have the technology to allow the man to carry the kid or to transfer it to a surrogate (human or machine), then we can revisit this discussion. But as of right now, we can't do that, so tough shit.

CNN's article on it.

Interestingly Robert concurred, but kind of dissented:
Chief Justice John Roberts did not join the majority, writing in a concurring opinion that he would not have overturned Roe but instead would have only uphold Mississippi's law banning abortions after 15 weeks.
CNN's article on it.

Also, CNN is still milking that cash cow:
The opinion represents the culmination of a decades-long effort on the part of critics of abortion seeking to return more power to the states.  It was made possible by a solid six-member conservative majority -- including three of Donald Trump's nominees.  
See what they did there?
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

It's really interesting to compare this statement versus the recent outcry from him and his party to restrict and eventually eliminate the 2nd Amendment. More so if you go look at all the headlines from yesterday's SCOTUS ruling that directly expanded the 2nd.

And I say that agreeing that SCOTUS made the wrong decision on abortion.
Twitter is absolutely melting down over the ruling. Loads of comments about how they need to pack the court, how Trump is a traitor and criminal so "everything he did should be invalid", how four justices lied under oath (they didn't, they simply acknowledged what the current law was), "Start impeachment on these justices now!", and pretty much every bit of hate pointed towards the GOP and men as you can imagine.

I'm on their side here, but fuck this is some ignorant shit.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of violence this creates. The governor of Virginia has already sent folks to protect the justices' homes.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

This ruling may have opened the doors to other things SCOTUS shouldn't be involved in.

This isn't awesome:
"In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell," Thomas wrote, referring to decisions on contraception, sodomy and same-sex marriage.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:55 pm This ruling may have opened the doors to other things SCOTUS shouldn't be involved in.

This isn't awesome:
"In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell," Thomas wrote, referring to decisions on contraception, sodomy and same-sex marriage.
Man the 1950s were awesome
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:39 pmIt'll be interesting to see what kind of violence this creates. The governor of Virginia has already sent folks to protect the justices' homes.
Oh my goodness, the left is trying to topple our democracy. Our entire way of life hangs in the balance.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:18 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:39 pmIt'll be interesting to see what kind of violence this creates. The governor of Virginia has already sent folks to protect the justices' homes.
Oh my goodness, the left is trying to topple our democracy. Our entire way of life hangs in the balance.
I thought people had the right to overthrow the government when their rights are threatened?
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

Only if they're democrats. Otherwise it is treasonous insurrection.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:59 pm Only if they're democrats. Otherwise it is treasonous insurrection.
It's treasonous insurrection if you're doing it because some cult of personality has convinced you there was a fraudulent election and you're too stupid to know better.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

They felt their rights were being trampled, they took action. Right or wrong, they desecrated Nancy Pelosi's office chair and they'll pay the price for failing to win.

If SCOTUS judges are being attacked, it is exactly the same level of treason. I will not accept the hypocrisy of calling one anti-government action patriotic, and the other a crime.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

This isn't wrong.
TheCatt wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:24 pm It's treasonous insurrection if you're doing it because some cult of personality has convinced you there was a fraudulent election and you're too stupid to know better.
But neither is this.
GORDON wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:27 pm If SCOTUS judges are being attacked, it is exactly the same level of treason. I will not accept the hypocrisy of calling one anti-government action patriotic, and the other a crime.
Neither side's cultists seems to be aware of the hypocrisy of their extremely anti-democratic stances on issues.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

I've been rolling my eyes at all the hyperbolic "we nearly lost our democracy!" wailings since January. But, they bought the ticket, now they're taking the ride. Next time I hope they ask my advice on how to topple the government before they waste their time.

I'm all for the left now toppling the government over RvW, but I refuse to pretend there's any difference between now, and 1/6, morally. All war is ugly, all government is corrupt, I'll not pretend one crusade is more righteous than the next. Blood is blood.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:27 pm They felt their rights were being trampled, they took action. Right or wrong, they desecrated Nancy Pelosi's office chair and they'll pay the price for failing to win.

If SCOTUS judges are being attacked, it is exactly the same level of treason. I will not accept the hypocrisy of calling one anti-government action patriotic, and the other a crime.
Great, now we have to care about everyone's feelings again. Thanks, Conservatives.
GORDON wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:52 pm I'm all for the left now toppling the government over RvW, but I refuse to pretend there's any difference between now, and 1/6, morally. All war is ugly, all government is corrupt, I'll not pretend one crusade is more righteous than the next. Blood is blood.
Stupid people shouldn't vote, but should be able to overthrow the government?
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

Honestly not sure which side you're talking about now.