The SCOTUS thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:00 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:44 am Abortion on the docket.

Call me crazy, but people seem to have really strong feelings about this issue...
I think everyone should have their views here, America is America. I'd just like to have a rational discussion with someone which won't result to calling me Satan for my views.

I am particularly confused as to why the unborn are put on a pedestal by one side. Once born, little to no care seems to go towards savings addicts, the mentally ill, homeless, kids in for profit foster care, people doing endless time in for profit prisons, etc. Pro-life should be all life.

It'd be a stronger position to argue with if it actually encompasses everyone. Otherwise it seems to smack of men controlling women. You know, the patriarchy.
I think my wife wrote this... :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Truthfully, it never should have survived the first challenge, but this one definitely felt like a reach.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

SCOTUS: Catholic foster care can reject same-sex couples.
In a unanimous ruling, the Supreme Court on Thursday sided with religious freedom in a case involving a clash over Philadelphia's anti-LGBT discrimination policy.

The justices, an opinion written by Chief Justice John Roberts, ruled for Catholic Social Services in a case involving foster care and same-sex couples.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:24 am Obamacare survives again
I know middle class people are sure enjoying the skyrocketed premiums
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

This apparently happened yesterday?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

It did. Not only did it not occur on US soil, but Nestle doesn't run the farms, doesn't do business in that country, etc, etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

And yet people on Imgur and Twitter are still destroying them for it...
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:49 pm And yet people on Imgur and Twitter are still destroying them for it...
At some point, they know what is going on, and are profiting from it.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

Nestle has plenty to be prosecuted over.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Amazon is aware that people are being killed in sweatshops making their products AND that defective products are being sold to Americans.

Nobody gives a shit.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

I'd really like a "this is sold and ships from china" flag. As it is, you just have to assume by a 2 week delivery date.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

I'm fine with all of the rulings.

The only thing that I took exception was this from the union case:
"Indeed, it's just the third time all term that the court split right down party lines in a signed opinion and the first in a non-criminal case," Vladeck said. "In that respect, it is, almost certainly, a harbinger of things to come."
I mean, even if they are playing politics, so are you...
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

In PennEast Pipeline Co. v. New Jersey, the justices held 5-4 that a certificate of public convenience and necessity issued by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission pursuant to Section 717f(h) of the Natural Gas Act authorizes a private company to condemn all necessary rights-of-way, whether owned by private parties or states.
In a decision that warms the cockles of Gordon's heart.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

The U.S. Supreme Court declined to lift a national moratorium on the eviction of tenants who have fallen behind on their rent during the pandemic.
The issue split the high court on a 5-4 vote, with Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh joining with the court’s three liberal justices to leave the moratorium in place. The court’s action came in a brief order.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:56 am
In PennEast Pipeline Co. v. New Jersey, the justices held 5-4 that a certificate of public convenience and necessity issued by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission pursuant to Section 717f(h) of the Natural Gas Act authorizes a private company to condemn all necessary rights-of-way, whether owned by private parties or states.
In a decision that warms the cockles of Gordon's heart.
Joining the chief justice were two fellow conservatives, Justices Samuel Alito and Brett Kavanaugh, and two liberals, Justices Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

Justice Amy Coney Barrett wrote the lead dissenting opinion, joined by two other conservatives, Justices Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch, as well as Justice Elena Kagan, a member of the court’s liberal wing. The court, Justice Barrett said, used the wrong analytical framework and misread the historical record.
A very unusual split.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

what does it mean to condemn a right of way
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:26 pm what does it mean to condemn a right of way
Take land.