Coronavirus

For stuff that is general.
Troy

Coronavirus

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: I bet school shootings are way down.
All the white kids are at home.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: The unenforced, partial measures were never going to work
This is true. We had to go all in. Poor leadership from the president to local mayors and city councils, and corporate leadership too.
Troy wrote: All the white kids are at home.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Covid-19 has finally reached Antarctica, the last continent to be affected by the pandemic.
Chile says three dozen people are infected with coronavirus on its remote Antarctica station
Well, fuck.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

This person is an anti-vaxxer.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Holy smokes.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

Strictly speaking a vaccine comes from cows,
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

vaca wut?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Strictly speaking a vaccine comes from cows,
I heard they're all aborted fetuses that have been mixed up in a blender with nanoparticles from Bill Gates.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote:
thibodeaux wrote: Strictly speaking a vaccine comes from cows,
I heard they're all aborted fetuses that have been mixed up in a blender with nanoparticles from Bill Gates.
As long as it's part cow, it's cool.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

Just at Walmart with the wife grabbing some final stocking stuffers. In the checkout line was a older bearded white guy without a mask. Two checkout lines over was another older bearded white guy without a mask and loudly discussing it with a woman and her son in front of him. He kept leaning in close to talk. They were clearly trying to get out of the conversation. The son was also clearly gay, so I'm guessing his family probably didn't vote Trump... It was funny as the son wouldn't even face the guy even as the guy moved around them. The mom kept trying to use her phone to distract and would just nod and never say anything.

Don't wear your mask, whatever. But do you have to loudly proclaim your reasoning to people who are trapped? Anti-maskers might be the new vegans.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

There's already a new strain closing down Europe again, and now another new strain found in Africa.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

No evidence that the vaccine prevents transmission.

They are already saying that even with the vaccine we have to wear masks and stay home. WTF is the goddam point, then? Oh ok, YOU won't get sick. Well...you already won't get it if you're not a fat or old. The only legit reason to compel people to get the vaccine is to prevent transmission, and they're already backpedalling on that.

This whole situation reeks of something. Corruption, incompetence, malice...I don't know.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: They are already saying that even with the vaccine we have to wear masks and stay home. WTF is the goddam point, then? Oh ok, YOU won't get sick.
I mean, they are not saying that it doesn't stop the spread, but that they are still collecting data to see.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote:
thibodeaux wrote: They are already saying that even with the vaccine we have to wear masks and stay home. WTF is the goddam point, then? Oh ok, YOU won't get sick.
I mean, they are not saying that it doesn't stop the spread, but that they are still collecting data to see.
Sure. And that's the correct way to behave: your hypotheses should always be open to revision when data challenges it. However, our political masters have a tendency to pick a version of SCIENCE and stick with it as long as it fits their agenda. In this house, we believe in SCIENCE, which this summer said stay home unless a black drug addict ODs while being arrested. SCIENCE says get a vaccination, and I guarantee you that if you don't get a vaccination, you will be belittled as an anti-vaxxer AT BEST, and most likely will be denied employment and travel privileges. Put a pin in that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: and I guarantee you that if you don't get a vaccination, you will be belittled as an anti-vaxxer AT BEST, and most likely will be denied employment and travel privileges. Put a pin in that.
!RmindMe 6/30/2021

So far, employers are choosing "We would prefer you get vaccinated," and providing/planning incentives.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

Related to, but off the topic of corona...if all of these companies were able to come up with a vaccine for a virus this quickly by pausing research and development on everything else, can we now take the same plan of action towards something else?

Cancer? Cystic Fibrosis? The Common Cold? And so on.

Everyone just focus on one of those things, and let's see what happens.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

The hope is that this mRNA vaccine does open the door to other vaccines much more quickly than historically.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote:can we now take the same plan of action towards something else?
Cancer? Cystic Fibrosis? The Common Cold? And so on.
If I have the right mental model, the mRNA vaccine idea is that it causes some of your cells to manufacture proteins that look like part of the virus enough to make your immune system know how to fight it. It's similar to the "regular" vaccines that inject you with dead/weakened viruses, only your body is tricked into making a "dead" virus from scratch (which is pretty damn cool I will admit).

Colds, I would say would definitely be do-able, since some of them ARE coronaviruses. The problem with "the common cold" is that it's not just a single virus; wikipedia says something like 200. Also: why bother? Who dies of a cold? (Ok, yes...olds and fats, I guess, if they get pneumonia) A vaccine is *probably* going to give you mild symptoms anyway, so just man up.

CF: I'm not a real doctor, but a 5-minute wikipedia makes me think that it's caused by a protein not being created, which I guess could be addressed this way. Interesting idea.

Cancer: what even is cancer? I think, again like a cold, there's many different causes or triggers. I guess if there's some protein that's not being expressed that would cause it...maybe?