Coronavirus

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

The vax protects one from children, too?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

Ds trying to block voter ID laws...wait, my bad...Rs trying to block Covid passport.

Sorry I got those confused, but they're essentially the same fucking thing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Serious question, no snark:

Does anyone know how sweden's numbers, with their "let's not destroy the economy" approach, compare to a comparable country that did?

The usa did, and I don't see that any great things were achieved with a half-ass approach to quarantine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Sweden: 14k deaths, vs 673 and 846 for Finland + Norway.

2020 GDP worse than Finland + Norway as well: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -of-crisis
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Did finland and norway do full, enforced lockdowns? Guessing yes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:12 pm Did finland and norway do full, enforced lockdowns? Guessing yes.
Yes.

It lends credence to the theory that locking down early, while treatments and mitigation could be developed, helped.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

I feel like I was correct a year ago when I predicted that a partial lockdown wasn't going to work, and would do a lot of damage for nothing. It can be argued that it helped flatten the curve, but it was still a partial lockdown and ultimately covid rates skyrocketed, after.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:21 pm I feel like I was correct a year ago when I predicted that a partial lockdown wasn't going to work, and would do a lot of damage for nothing. It can be argued that it helped flatten the curve, but it was still a partial lockdown and ultimately covid rates skyrocketed, after.
Clearly you haven't talked to the governors of TX and FL who believe their partial lockdowns have been the best thing that ever happened to America.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

I have not. They sound like they're selling something (their next election cycle).
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

I think a lot of state-based analysis is garbage. People move around. And the varying levels of freedom/partial shutdown means someone can go lick doorknobs across FL, then bring it back to their state's more limited/protected environment and still spread things around.

I dunno.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

I'll praise china for keeping shit contained, but keeping people in their homes for a month at gunpoint isn't a long reach for them. But that's what it takes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

My son and I were part of the problem in florida, last week.

Universal Studios: 100% mask usage, hand sanitizer at the entrance of every ride and restaurant, and STRONG enforcement of wearing masks over mouth and nose. I was seeing confrontations every hour or so, over it.

Tampa Zoo:. Zero mask enforcement. No sanitation stations that I saw. Maybe 25% mask usage. Supposedly a reservation system in place to control limited access, but no one asked for my reservation number at the ticket counter and the place was jammed.

Florida gives no shits, overall. My kid said that if he and I didn't get covid at that zoo, then it's all an overblown conspiracy. I don't think we got it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

We're going to Florida tomorrow. But we're sticking close to the water, and not going to any of the big parks/etc.

It's complicated. It's certainly more deadly than the flu, there's a risk of mutations (see: Brazil/UK), but it's clearly no the end of the world.

I'd like to see people stick towards that Universal Studios model.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:03 pm I'd like to see people stick towards that Universal Studios model.
I should specify, Universal had hand sanitizer at the entrance of every ride and restaurant, AND they squirted that shit on you and made you use it.

And I was surprised at how many times i saw some waifish Universal employee actively confront large idiots who wouldn't wear their masks, or wear them correctly.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:24 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:03 pm I'd like to see people stick towards that Universal Studios model.
I should specify, Universal had hand sanitizer at the entrance of every ride and restaurant, AND they squirted that shit on you and made you use it.

And I was surprised at how many times i saw some waifish Universal employee actively confront large idiots who wouldn't wear their masks, or wear them correctly.
And I'm a fan of all of that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

I'm a person who will wash his hands (when available) over using sanitizer, and I'm pretty sure I used more sanitizer in 4 days at Universal than in the previous 4 years.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

People are talking about a "fourth surge" already, but that seems ridiculous. I dunno. I feel like we had the 3rd surge over the holidays/January, and anything else is probably just bumps. If we hit even 150k avg cases per day (1/2 the 300k peak avg), I'd be surprised.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

Re hand sanitizer: haven't they decided this isn't spread from surface contact? At least, as much as "they" have decided anything and stuck to it in all this.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:57 am Re hand sanitizer: haven't they decided this isn't spread from surface contact? At least, as much as "they" have decided anything and stuck to it in all this.
Sure, but it's still a vector, and so God damned many people don't wash their hands that at least this time it's enforced for them. Helps keep all the other germs in check.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

I was impressed by how many people were wearing masks at our first stop in Florida. Then realized I was at a gas station by the interstate and was just seeing lots of out of state people.