Coronavirus

For stuff that is general.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

Following a link ​from your link:
Fauci said mutations displayed by the omicron variant indicate that it may be highly transmissible and able to escape the body’s immune response, including the protection rendered by antibodies induced by the vaccines.

"This is a clarion call, as far as I’m concerned, of saying let’s put aside all of these differences that we have and say, 'If you’re not vaccinated, get vaccinated,'" Fauci said on NBC News' "Meet the Press" Sunday.
Does nobody else see how stupid this sounds? The vaccine might not help, so be sure to get vaccinated!

But not a word about obesity, even though basically if you're under 65 and not obese you won't die. And the evidence keeps piling up that Vitamin D will help you an awful lot.

It is just very frustrating that SCIENCE keeps doubling down on things that have obviously failed. We really are in an infinity war.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Vegas is all masked. Adherence quite high, but everyone's mostly sober still
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:13 pm Vegas is all masked. Adherence quite high, but everyone's mostly sober still
At the conference, or just in general?
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:09 pm Does nobody else see how stupid this sounds? The vaccine might not help, so be sure to get vaccinated!
As someone who is vaxed with no regrets, I must admit that "omicron is probably able to get around the vax, so get vaxed" does not compute.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:27 pm
TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:13 pm Vegas is all masked. Adherence quite high, but everyone's mostly sober still
At the conference, or just in general?
I went to a dispensary, and I'd say still 95% masked correctly, about 99 at reInvent.

Sober, probably more a function of where I've been and day of the week.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:34 pm
thibodeaux wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:09 pm Does nobody else see how stupid this sounds? The vaccine might not help, so be sure to get vaccinated!
If it
As someone who is vaxed with no regrets, I must admit that "omicron is probably able to get around the vax, so get vaxed" does not compute.
If it minimizes the impact, it can still compute, particularly for anyone with risk factors.

I'm just now expecting a flavor of the season vaccine, and just hope they make those faster
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:10 pm If it minimizes the impact, it can still compute, particularly for anyone with risk factors.

I'm just now expecting a flavor of the season vaccine, and just hope they make those faster
It does not compute as an argument for compulsory universal vaccination (and no, "hospitals" isn't one either).

And I can't think of a better way to maintain confidence in our public health institutions than mandating annual (semi-annual? quarterly?) vaccines that maybe will keep you from getting sick, but then again maybe won't.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:08 pm I went to a dispensary, and I'd say still 95% masked correctly, about 99 at reInvent.
DId they feed you? I always thought the food was really good and an amazing feat of logistics. Would be a shame if they dropped that.

*AWS, not the dispensary :p
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:43 pm
TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:08 pm I went to a dispensary, and I'd say still 95% masked correctly, about 99 at reInvent.
DId they feed you? I always thought the food was really good and an amazing feat of logistics. Would be a shame if they dropped that.

*AWS, not the dispensary :p
the food has been pretty good, say 1. Better than I had expected or remember ed. But you can tell staffing is down at the hotels. Hopefully our dinner reservation goes well tonight
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

I know I downplay this plague but I do think Werner is seriously at risk so hopefully he’s got some anti virals handy….
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:09 am I know I downplay this plague but I do think Werner is seriously at risk so hopefully he’s got some anti virals handy….
Yeah. Good dude too, did you see his bat country tweet?

Most of this crowd is young. Went to a session where they did the “how many years have you been in tech” thing (it was a history of AWS session), and they start with 5 years, every hand up, 10 years, most hands still up, a lot go down at 15… 20 years it’s lik 10%… then at 25 years it’s me and 2 other people.

I guess I’m old.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

I don’t do the tweets although I did see they got Zedd for the party. Again.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:45 am I don’t do the tweets although I did see they got Zedd for the party. Again.
2015 all over again! Which was my first reInvent.

Back to the main topic… signs everywhere for washing hands, etc. Someone was saying washing hands probably dint help that much, I replied with something I’d read that Ron Jeremy used to wash his penis after every time he had sex, and he never had an STD. (From his autobiography)
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Fun visual for a trade show.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

"Please get vaxed"

Posting that because the actual link title was "The main reason covid keeps mutating is You". I thought that was an interesting choice for a headline.

Article discussing the mutations and what it does and doesn't mean.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

It's not really practical to eliminate this virus via vaccination. It could be possible, but not in anyway we can implement
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:57 am Posting that because the actual link title was "The main reason covid keeps mutating is You". I thought that was an interesting choice for a headline.
They must have changed it.

Regardless, that's more bullshit. ALL organisms mutate a more-or-less constant rate. The official story of this coronavirus is it came from animals in the first place, and it is known to be infecting pets as well as wild animals. It's not going away!

This notion that the unvaxxed (UNCLEAN!) are the cause of variants is simply more bullshit, and the fact that our media pushes it so hard means they're evil and/or stupid.

The evasions are also infuriating. You can easily refute every one of the rationales, but then they move on to another one, around and around.
"Get vaxxed so you don't catch it" -> vax doesn't keep you from catching it
"Then get vaxxed to protect others" -> vax doen't keep you from spreading it
"Then get vaxxed so you don't go to the hospital" -> there's other treatments, and the vax isn't as effective against variants
"You must get vaxxed to stop the variants" -> see above
"Your natural immunity isn't as good as the vax" -> even the idiot from CNN doesn't push this one
"Ok, but we don't know how long natural immunity lasts so you should get the vax!" -> the vax only lasts 6 months
"We need to vax kids" -> practically no healthy children have died from it (e.g., only six in the UK)
"We need to vax kids to keep them from spreading" -> JFC we already covered this

This really has become our secular religion, and the vax is its holiest sacrament.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

Our rulers are not sincere:

We must test all travelers!

But Um not “undocumented” border crossers.

Why should I believe that any of this is about public health?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Vaccinated people with breakthrough cases are less contagious for shorter periods of time than unvaccinated people: https://www.businessinsider.com/nba-vac ... rs-2021-11
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

While it is likely that omicron is more transmissible, early reports suggest it may also be less deadly, which would fit into the pattern of virus evolution observed historically, strategists Marko Kolanovic and Bram Kaplan wrote in a note Wednesday
It would be nice to stop filling up hospitals every peak.