Russia

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:24 pm Some of those seem to conflict, logically.
I get what you're saying, but they don't have to conflict.
Troy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:33 pm "Ukraine simply doesn't matter to America's security or our prosperity."
It's always funny to see stuff like this because people from both sides say it whenever they are not calling the shots. But yes, I absolutely agree that it's a bad look for Koch's stance. Although, for the rest of that quote, Reason is a libertarian group, not Rs (despite what D propaganda tries to convince people). The last part isn't as bad as the first part because it references a real concern both sides and other countries have expressed.
Troy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:44 pm To Koch Industries - fuck you, AND your people IN Russia.
So you have it on good authority that Koch workers are there? You also understand that the Russian people are generally completely unable to escape their government's propaganda and story of what's going on? (They have been told Nazis took control of Ukraine.)
Troy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:46 pm There is a danger if we let the position be there are "good people on both sides" that they will not fix themselves, even post Putin-coup. And then we repeat this shit in Georgia, or Moldova, or Finland 10 years after they get their conscript core back up.
You do realize this is the logic of hate groups everywhere, right? "No black, white, Asian, Jewish, etc. people are good. They're all evil."

Also, what's your solution here? You're either advocating for the complete extermination of all Russian people, which does indeed put you on Hitler's level or you know who should be put in charge of Russia?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Russia

Post by Troy »

Miss we with those hate group comparisons. Go see polling and statements about how many of the Russian people are not only cool with Ukraine, but continuing the assault on into Poland.

Since nobody is able to step up because of brain drain, or jail, we need to make their economic conditions sufficient to not just cause a collapse of the the Soviet Union like 1989, but a full repeat of the Russian Revolution of 1917.
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

You misinterpreted the thought behind that comment.

1. Considering what the Russian people are being told about what's happening and the "They are lying to you" stunt by that reporter, is it fair to condemn the Russian's "for" the war? They're hearing different things than the rest of the world.
2. How do we know Putin's replacement won't be worse? I mean, you are aware worse people taking power than the last is kind of what Russia is known for, yes? Thus, what is the correct course of action?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Russia

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:14 pm You misinterpreted the thought behind that comment.

1. Considering what the Russian people are being told about what's happening and the "They are lying to you" stunt by that reporter, is it fair to condemn the Russian's "for" the war? They're hearing different things than the rest of the world.
2. How do we know Putin's replacement won't be worse? I mean, you are aware worse people taking power than the last is kind of what Russia is known for, yes? Thus, what is the correct course of action?
1. Russia is not North Korea. Even with the firewall coming up in the last week, they can still access un biased news sources via the internet. It’s not like Al Jazeera has been putting the invasion in a favorable light. There really aren’t that many people speaking out. And the ones that are do it from a country away., after brain draining.

2. THAT is exactly why i said a repeat of 1989 will not help. Lipstick on a pig won’t help. We force them to change as a society and culture or we have a giant country that waves nukes around and we back down in fear on repeat until the next terrible thing happens. We need a 1917 like event in Russia.
GORDON
Site Admin

Russia

Post by GORDON »

The people of Germany in 1945, for the most part, claimed to not know about the concentration camps. They weren't individually punished for them per se, but they sure were expected to shut the fuck up and like it when their country was being recreated without their input, after.

The Russian citizens today... I think don't know what to believe. Not entirely. And even if they know the truth, or suspect the truth, there isn't a hell of a lot they can do about it.... just like in the USA. The ones going on the internet and being loudmouths may one day find retribution visited upon them, but for the most part they're going to be fucked over by their government via the economic sanctions, and the people of the civilized world aren't going to have a ton of compassion for them. Possibly rightly so.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

1. Russia is also not the U.S. You cannot expect their citizens to act like they live in a free country and not in a dictatorship. I know a lot of protestors here love to think that they're "brave warriors", but nope. They're simply exercising their rights. You really think cancel culture and all that could happen in Russia?

2. You cannot "force" them to change as a society and culture. You just have to do what happened with Japan or, according to some reports, happens to some Muslim terrorists and that's expose them to Western society. Once people see freedom, tits, Marvel movies, and start playing video games...it's over.
Troy

Russia

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:51 pm 1. Russia is also not the U.S. You cannot expect their citizens to act like they live in a free country and not in a dictatorship. I know a lot of protestors here love to think that they're "brave warriors", but nope. They're simply exercising their rights. You really think cancel culture and all that could happen in Russia?

2. You cannot "force" them to change as a society and culture. You just have to do what happened with Japan or, according to some reports, happens to some Muslim terrorists and that's expose them to Western society. Once people see freedom, tits, Marvel movies, and start playing video games...it's over.
1. I am talking about revolution and you are talking about cancel culture.

2. We can turn the West off for them. I’m the edge, many kids younger then me around the world don’t know what’s it like to not have open access to the world and the technology and creature comforts of what some people call “globalism”. Do you know that Russia has no domestic supply of dental fillings? So many other things. They are a gas station with nukes.

They are about to join North Korea, China, and poor parts of Africa. Even then, China seems to let you do what you want as long as it’s China first. We will see what happens.

!Remind me in 2024
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:48 pm 1. I am talking about revolution and you are talking about cancel culture.
Blame the typed word because I literally see nothing in the following quote regarding "revolution":
Troy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:22 pm 1. Russia is not North Korea. Even with the firewall coming up in the last week, they can still access un biased news sources via the internet. It’s not like Al Jazeera has been putting the invasion in a favorable light. There really aren’t that many people speaking out. And the ones that are do it from a country away., after brain draining.
I do see a part about people speaking out, which is why I thought you were implying people living under a fascist dictator have the ability to speak up. That's why I made the comment about cancel culture and how such a thing simply doesn't exist there.
Troy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:48 pm 2. We can turn the West off for them. I’m the edge, many kids younger then me around the world don’t know what’s it like to not have open access to the world and the technology and creature comforts of what some people call “globalism”. Do you know that Russia has no domestic supply of dental fillings? So many other things. They are a gas station with nukes.
Turning the West off to them is not the same as exposing them to it and it will not have the same results. Compare the histories of Japan and the Middle East...

People who don't know about something can't miss it.
Troy

Russia

Post by Troy »

I referred to needing the revolution of 1917 like twice above you? I didn’t say shit about cancel culture? Tf?

Moving on.

Gotta start somewhere:
Troy

Russia

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:32 am People who don't know about something can't miss it.
?

This is easily googled:
36.5% of Russia's imports came from the EU and 37.9% of its exports went to the EU. In 2021, the total trade in goods between the EU and Russia amounted to €257.5 billion.
Important stuff, like the stuff that is supposed to go on these shelves here:

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-citize ... eo-1688194

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/03/ ... ast-a76991

These conditions are unlikely to improve, Russia having been cut off the SWIFT banking system, shuttered their stock market indefinitely, and ENRAGED their biggest trading partner. In fact, companies without goods to sell, or parts to manufacture, definitely need less employees. Russian jobs go next.

Men explored the seas on rickety wooden boats with no electricity, medicine that bordered on witchcraft, and inaccurate maps. But even THEY had a stock market to rely on. Just another one of those creature comforts of "globalism" Russia has had since the 1990s. Not anymore.
Troy

Russia

Post by Troy »

Looks like we are going to sky-fuck them, also.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/03/18/us- ... ions-.html
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:47 am I referred to needing the revolution of 1917 like twice above you? I didn’t say shit about cancel culture? Tf?
Here's a thought: Stop skimming? Or stop starting to write your rebuttal before even finishing reading?

I mean, my last post explained in detail exactly why I mentioned CC and I know you're not illiterate, thus you must be skimming...

"Tf?" indeed.
Troy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:58 am This is easily googled:
Are you trying to make some point about goods being off the shelves, and thus, Russians know what they're missing from the West? You know what? You're right. I mean, it worked ousting the dictator in Cuba!

Jokes aside, my point wasn't just about goods. It's about culture and freedom. Those things aren't sold in stores. These people don't know a life outside of a dictatorship. It's why I used Japan and the Middle East as examples because their cultures had a lot of similarities. Introducing Western concepts, values, and freedoms worked in Japan, so the theory is it could work in the Middle East. However, their governments, like Russia's, are preventing those things from getting a foothold.

The goods are really a small thing. Whatever EU products are off the shelves will be replaced by products from China, Venezuela, and other countries happy to sell their goods in Russia.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:24 pm Looks like we are going to sky-fuck them, also.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/03/18/us- ... ions-.html
Sadly not what I was expecting to read for "sky fucking"
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Russia

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:40 pm The goods are really a small thing. Whatever EU products are off the shelves will be replaced by products from China, Venezuela, and other countries happy to sell their goods in Russia.
Ok, agree to disagree here. I guess we will see.

A Cuban outcome - with no more nukes, and a slow turn back to being open to the west under crippling economic conditions, sounds great. We are in the information age, where events seem to happen significantly faster than the last century, so whatever happens, will happen faster.

Though in the last century it was WW1 followed by the Pandemic, but we can't get too picky here if they are switched around a little bit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:17 pm Ok, agree to disagree here.
I mean, we want the same thing. I'm just pointing out that it won't happen overnight and it's not as easy as a bunch of folks grabbing some guns and marching on the Kremlin. The main thing I'm trying to get across is that you can't look at the Russian people as if they have the same lives, experiences, opportunities, and so on as us. They actually live in an oppressive dictatorship. Americans just like to pretend they do. :D

That's why I think the people who believe Jan 6th was a massive coup attempt are really just outing themselves are ignorant or trying to manipulate others. Jan 6th was just a bunch of braindead twats throwing a temper tantrum over their orange savior losing an election. They had no plan, no power, and no ability to change shit. Even if they had succeeded in their attempt to...?, they couldn't hold anything. That wasn't a coup. The riots in the summer of 2020 were far more organized and planned out. Hell, Antifa is more organized, and their whole gimmick is that they aren't organized.

Anyway, a Chinese vlogger in Ukraine has been branded a traitor to China. His videos depicted reality versus what the Chinese government's reporting of Ukraine. So he's probably never allowed home again. Oh, and this also probably indicates that China is playing both sides.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

Kremlin critic shockingly convicted of fraud and sentenced to more years in jail. I'm sure it was a fair trial.

WWII peace talks end (Yes, you read that right.).

US confirms Russia is using hypersonic missiles.

Russia is threatening to step up cyberattacks on the U.S.

Again, I have to ask, how is this not an act of war?

Also, just an FYI: Meraki firewalls can block all traffic from specific countries. That's a heads up for my fellow IT peeps.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:11 am WWII peace talks end (Yes, you read that right.).
That's a little hilarious.
Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:11 am Russia is threatening to step up cyberattacks on the U.S.
Yeah, this should mean WWIII.
Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:11 am Also, just an FYI: Meraki firewalls can block all traffic from specific countries. That's a heads up for my fellow IT peeps.
We turned of all non-US traffic last year. But it doesn't protect you from compromised US machines. Now that I'm the CTO, I'm also the CISO, and uh... that's not really my background. But we really outsource all our IT, I'm more of a coordinator/approver as far as CISO stuff goes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:57 am We turned of all non-US traffic last year. But it doesn't protect you from compromised US machines. Now that I'm the CTO, I'm also the CISO, and uh... that's not really my background. But we really outsource all our IT, I'm more of a coordinator/approver as far as CISO stuff goes.
I get that. The guy before me was an accountant, but became the IT Manager for some reason. He left the department in a quite a mess. He had no fucking idea what he was doing. He thought buying a license meant you can put it on every PC...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:40 am He left the department in a quite a mess. He had no fucking idea what he was doing. He thought buying a license meant you can put it on every PC...
Are you saying my company's about to be invaded? :)

I know what I don't know. Mostly.