Education

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

Important and unanimous SCOTUS decision on disabled kids in schools.

The people running the schools who let this kid sit going uneducated for years should be unemployed, barred from ever working in education or for any government agency, and spend some time in jail for malicious and intentional neglect of a child.

But I also have to wonder about the parents. How did they not know their son wasn't being educated?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

Well, if the primary mission of the local boards of education was to educate kids, and not get more state funds/avoid lawsuits, then they'd care about disabled kids more.

It was probably years before they finally got sued for neglecting that kid. Think of how much money they saved since then/the school board members had time to resign and be replaced.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

The number of kids who need aides is increasing, while the number of aides schools hire is decreasing.

Good stuff.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

My private school teacher gf is coming to the very sad agreement that my observation of her career that I made the first month i met her was true: private school teaching is a boutique job, for people who don't need the money.... at least at her school. All of her peers are the wives of doctors and lawyers. She doesn't have health care, they're assholes about paid time off, and her salary is firmly lower middle class.

Now she's been passed over for an administrative post for someone willing to make much less salary than the previous person who had the position (because they don't need the money), and she's starting to look at local public school systems that have programs for her passion: teaching young, troubled children. And guess what? Those positions don't pay shit, either. And to start in Toledo Public Schools she would be put in the inner city that has 90% teacher turnover every 2 years.

Teaching is now a dead-end career, with no future. The reddit teacher subs are full of "I'm so glad I was able to retire 5 years ago, shit is out of control now" stories.

Rumor has it that half the teaching staff at my kid's school is quitting this year, they aren't making enough at a private school.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

I remember visiting one our kids' preschool teacher's houses. It was a $1 million house 10 years ago. I was like "Yep, doesn't need the money." But, she was bilingual, super engaging with the kids, etc.

One of our kids goes to a private school. The teacher turnover is super low. Not that the pay is great, but 1) the environment is pretty great, no kid is going to body slam you mid-class, and 2) Their kids get in for free.

Our kid's math teacher was a public teacher for years, and he was just stunned at how much more productive he was a teacher with fewer distractions, etc.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

My wife, who works in the public schools, and many of her colleagues are adamant that the government is intentionally running the education system into the ground because they want it to become privatized.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:58 am My wife, who works in the public schools, and many of her colleagues are adamant that the government is intentionally running the education system into the ground because they want it to become privatized.
If your local government is Republican, sure. If it's Democratic, they're probably ruining it for other reasons.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:27 am
Leisher wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:58 am My wife, who works in the public schools, and many of her colleagues are adamant that the government is intentionally running the education system into the ground because they want it to become privatized.
If your local government is Republican, sure. If it's Democratic, they're probably ruining it for other reasons.
This is such a sad statement about our government.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:36 am This is such a sad statement about our government.
It's where we are. Even when I leaned R/L, I voted D for education stuff. But they've become a disaster. The notion of equity of outcome, and pouring buckets of $$ with no results sucks.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:48 am The notion of equity of outcome, and pouring buckets of $$ with no results sucks.
The main reason I don't support most D things.

Equity of outcome and throwing money at problems is as effective and realistic as using a thousand year old book or guidance from imaginary creatures to create law.
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

Well you see the problem is the students need new iPads on which to do their studies.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:37 pm Well you see the problem is the students need new iPads on which to do their studies.
That's another thing.

Schools finally move away from Apple computers for students to use after years of criticism that no businesses use Apple and what do they switch to? Fucking Chrome laptops.
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

I still say tech before high school does more harm than good.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

The Bible shouldn't be in school libraries in the first place.

Banning books is a slippery slope. There's no getting around it. You'll always have people wanting more banned and others wanting more unbanned. (Is that a word?)

That being said, anyone sane and rational can agree there's a huge difference between a written description of a naked person in a non-sexual situation/statement and an image of a boy sucking on a strap on worn by another boy. The line is somewhere between those two things...right? However, perhaps we should start doing studies to help us determine where that line is rather than putting the line where you interpret your religion wants it or where your feelings/personal bias wants it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

BTW, did we discuss the hilarious press conference where the DeSantis admin was showing examples of books they banned? Left leaning MSM outlets were bashing it, while simultaneously blurring the images being shown because they were inappropriate.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

In other education news...

Want to see how badly public education is not only failing people, but dividing them? Someone just made a new YouTube of Thomas Sowell's "Facts about slavery never taught in schools", and black YouTubers have been reacting to it a lot over the past few days. First of all, nothing in the video is opinion, just proven historical facts. Second, the lack of knowledge about the reality of slavery is eye-opening.

I've watched a couple of the reaction videos and here's what I've seen:
-Unaware that white Europeans were enslaved for 6 centuries by other Euros and Arabs before the first African ever set foot in the Western hemisphere. (Many have no idea where the word slave even originated, which is not covered in the video.)
-Unaware that every race has been enslaved and owned slaves.
-Unaware that slavery was not created out of racial hatred. (The shock at this alone was quite interesting. Every video the reactors were surprised by this tidbit.)
-Unaware that slavery was not exclusive to the U.S.
-Unaware of the Arab involvement in slavery or the number of Africans estimated to have been taken by Arabs. (5x as many as came to the U.S.)
-Unaware that white nations purchased slaves from African nations.
-Unaware that white Euros, except Portugal, did not engage in capturing Africans for slavery.
-Unaware that white slavers died in equal numbers to slaves until medical advances.
-The bit about Roots was pretty damning and really says a lot about Hollywood's influence on people's "knowledge". That part will make you realize how damaging fabricated stories "based on true events" like Woman King can be to the nation's overall psyche.
-This one is strange: Slave owners/purchasers were not aware of how the slaves were acquired. They didn't know the horrors of how many were enslaved. Were methods different elsewhere? Is there confusion here because of the "indentured servant" reality that existed?
-Unaware that white Euros did not establish footholds on the continent of Africa until after the slave trade to the Western hemisphere had ended.
-Knew some black people in the U.S. had owned slaves, but the numbers were a bit shocking. (To me as well.)

All reactors had the same summary, which was basically: "This information completely changes the way I see slavery and this country's history regarding it."

This is a really damning statement about the U.S. education system. A 5 minute video teaches people more about slavery than 13 years+ of school. Considering how reparations are such a hot button topic, and the U.S.' history of slavery is still a very divisive issue, you'd think it'd be important to actually educate our citizens about the reality of slavery.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:22 am The Bible shouldn't be in school libraries in the first place.
It belongs there as as much as any other work of fiction.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:57 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:22 am The Bible shouldn't be in school libraries in the first place.
It belongs there as as much as any other work of fiction.
Strong disagree. People haven't waged wars over Dr. Suess.

The Bible, Quran, Dianetics, etc. should never be in any publicly funded school.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:01 pm People haven't waged wars over Dr. Suess.
Or have they?
The Seuss Wars

In a world not too different from our own, two neighboring countries, Zookia and Yookland, were once at war over Dr. Seuss books. What started as a minor dispute over the interpretation of "The Butter Battle Book" soon spiraled out of control, as both sides became more and more entrenched in their ideological positions.

The Yooks saw the book as a warning against the dangers of conflict and war, while the Zooks saw it as a threat to their way of life. As tensions between the two nations escalated, they began to stockpile weapons and prepare for all-out war.

In the end, the war came, and it was more devastating than anyone could have imagined. The Zooks launched a surprise attack on Yookland, raining down bombs and missiles on cities and towns across the country. The Yooks fought back with equal ferocity, unleashing their own arsenal of weapons of mass destruction.

As the war raged on, both sides suffered massive casualties. Entire cities were reduced to rubble, and the once-beautiful countryside was transformed into a desolate wasteland. Millions of people died, and those who survived were left to suffer in a world that was nearly unrecognizable.

In the end, there was no winner. Both Zookia and Yookland were left in ruins, their populations decimated and their futures uncertain. The Dr. Seuss books that had once been the source of the conflict were now gone, destroyed in the fires of war.

As the survivors picked up the pieces and tried to rebuild, they realized that their obsession with Dr. Seuss books had been their downfall. They had become so fixated on their ideological differences that they had forgotten what really mattered: the lives and well-being of their fellow human beings.

And so, the people of Zookia and Yookland made a solemn vow never to repeat the mistakes of the past. They worked together to rebuild their countries and to create a world where peace, understanding, and cooperation were the norm. But they would never forget the lessons of the past, and the tragic consequences of their obsession with Dr. Seuss books.