Education

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

Teacher writes an op ed saying parents should have no say in what gets taught in schools.

Go fuck yourself.

While I'm with you on your layup examples of how the Earth isn't flat, how old the Earth is, and sex education, I'm not into some of the more politically motivated curriculums we've seen over the years.

Education should be a team effort involving the government, schools, parents and students. No single entity should rule supreme and decide what gets taught and what doesn't. This isn't North Korea.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:26 am Teacher writes an op ed saying parents should have no say in what gets taught in schools.

Go fuck yourself.
I would argue that the crux of the writer's argument is here
Parents do have an indirect way of deciding what schools teach through electing people that are on school boards and state level offices. These elected officials either make decisions about what will be taught in schools or appoint or confirm members of state boards of education that make these policies. Parents have every right to make their voice heard by speaking at school board meetings or open public forms at meetings, but they should not dictate what is being taught.
So yes, parents have a voice, through democracy. The author's main point seems to be that this is where the involvement in educational standards should end. And I mostly agree. I don't want people micro-managing how I work, and I wouldn't want thousands of parents trying to do the same.

Also, I've met a lot of parents, and most of them are not people I want teaching my kids.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 am So yes, parents have a voice, through democracy. The author's main point seems to be that this is where the involvement in educational standards should end. And I mostly agree. I don't want people micro-managing how I work, and I wouldn't want thousands of parents trying to do the same.
I understand this and am fine with it to a point. It should work this way. However, let's be real, our best and brightest aren't running for office. We have two parties that are more interested in furthering their own goals than doing what's best for citizens. Both parties cater heavily to their extreme wing, which means your kid is either going to learn that they are a worthless piece of shit based on the color of their skin, that dinosaurs don't exist, or that the math that took us to the moon was wrong. This shit all happened because voters are fucking tribal idiots or only concerned with themselves.

It's not truly realistic for a family to keep moving every time some asshat gets elected that wants to introduce kids to the flat Earth or that the Holocaust didn't happen. There's got to be a better way.
TheCatt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 am Also, I've met a lot of parents, and most of them are not people I want teaching my kids.
No argument.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:20 pm It's not truly realistic for a family to keep moving every time some asshat gets elected that wants to introduce kids to the flat Earth or that the Holocaust didn't happen. There's got to be a better way.
Some countries actually have nationalized educational standards, instead of the piecemeal bullshit system the US has. One the one hand, I don't really want CA determining my standards, but I also don't want KY doing it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:27 pm One the one hand, I don't really want CA determining my standards, but I also don't want KY doing it.
Agree.

Is this a good time to bring up the theory that the U.S. government is actively torpedoing the public school system because they want to privatize it? :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:48 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:27 pm One the one hand, I don't really want CA determining my standards, but I also don't want KY doing it.
Agree.

Is this a good time to bring up the theory that the U.S. government is actively torpedoing the public school system because they want to privatize it? :D
Well, maybe during the last administration. Now they want to make it even more public. And by public, I mean union + government controlled.
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:27 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:20 pm It's not truly realistic for a family to keep moving every time some asshat gets elected that wants to introduce kids to the flat Earth or that the Holocaust didn't happen. There's got to be a better way.
Some countries actually have nationalized educational standards, instead of the piecemeal bullshit system the US has. One the one hand, I don't really want CA determining my standards, but I also don't want KY doing it.
Back in the day, Iowa was putting out the standard "how is your state doing" tests.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

I trust Iowa more than han CA and KY. I vaguely remembr some CA test as well. Maybe 8th grade?
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

My local Ohio school system gave us these each year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Assessments
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Some # of bus drivers in our area decided to have a sick out this morning.

Thanks, fuckers.
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

Hopefully you can find new people who need bus driving jobs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:40 am Hopefully you can find new people who need bus driving jobs.
hahahahaha
thibodeaux

Education

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:34 am Some # of bus drivers in our area decided to have a sick out this morning.
Interesting...I assumed it was due to the rain last night.

Hey, on the bright side, your kids will be driving soon, so...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:04 am
TheCatt wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:34 am Some # of bus drivers in our area decided to have a sick out this morning.
Interesting...I assumed it was due to the rain last night.

Hey, on the bright side, your kids will be driving soon, so...
This morning when we checked we had "no drivers assigned" for both schools. My wife took our oldest + her friends to school. Then took the youngest. The youngest's bus did eventually show up, not sure when.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Kids calling in bomb + shooting threats, not getting punished.

Honestly, just shoot them.

A shooter threat was on tik tok (supposedly) for my oldest daughter's high school. Literally 2/3rds of the students stayed home. My kid went, cuz she needed to catch up on some stuff, and cuz I 0% believed the threat (Also, police were notified and had a heavy presence at school).
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

Happened here at the Jr High as well. Some idiot kids made threats to get the day off.

Not sure shooting them is the solution, but perhaps remove business, law, and medical degrees from their future?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:53 pm Not sure shooting them is the solution, but perhaps remove business, law, and medical degrees from their future?
It's an issue all over, and needs to stop. Fuck em.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:04 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:53 pm Not sure shooting them is the solution, but perhaps remove business, law, and medical degrees from their future?
It's an issue all over, and needs to stop. Fuck em.
I agree on the fuck 'em attitude.

I just say don't shoot them because they're just dumb kids. However, their glaring lack of ethics and intelligence means we, as a society, shouldn't want them near the fields I mentioned.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

It was quite a shock years ago when I learned how much personal money teachers spend on their classrooms, and how many fund raisers are constantly being held for school and school related functions.

This country is completely broken.