Education

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:25 am Private school teachers are typically way underpaid, compared to unionized public school ones. That's a damned shame.
But the environment is 100% better, and they get free tuition for their own kids.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

My gf is an underpaid private school teacher. She doesn't have any school age kids to take advantage of that Bennie. They don't have health insurance, somehow. From what I can tell, it's a boutique job for people who don't actually need that job for the income (most of them are the wives of doctors and lawyers).
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:18 am My gf is an underpaid private school teacher. She doesn't have any school age kids to take advantage of that Bennie. They don't have health insurance, somehow. From what I can tell, it's a boutique job for people who don't actually need that job for the income (most of them are the wives of doctors and lawyers).
Depends on the school. Ours definitely has full benefits, and I would assume your kid's school does, too.
As a full-time employee, the position offers all benefits afforded to full-time employees, including, but not limited to, a rich benefits package, a generous retirement package, paid time off that includes vacation, sick, and personal time, paid life insurance, and tuition remission for dependents.
That's from your kid's school.

My kid's school has full bennies, including 7.5% retirement contributions.

I thought your GF was at a smaller, maybe elementary only(?) school?
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

I wouldn't call it small, but yes, they cover K-6. It' a decent size campus.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

The wind took your SATs, so you can take them again!

This sucks for all parties involved.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

“The driver’s actions in this case are not representative of UPS protocols and methods, and we are addressing this with him.”
So.... what did he do or not do?
Local news outlets reported the back doors of the UPS track opened and the tests flew out of the truck.
How does that even happen? Were the envelopes not sealed? Were they individual envelopes that flew away?
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

"Getting that mail out of the ditch isn't my job."
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

COmmon Core came out in 2010, which was supposed to be a more logical way of teaching math to children.
The Common Core standards were developed in 2009 and released in 2010. Within a matter of months, they had been endorsed by 45 states and the District of Columbia.
Does anyone have any data yet how it has produced a higher crop of mathematicians than we ordinarily would have had? I know my kid had to take a math class over again in high school, because even though he got an A in CC Algebra 1, he was completely unprepared for normal Algebra 2.

I've heard colleges are accounting for stuff like that and have an influx of incoming students taking high school math classes over again.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

I dunno. Our local system has this fucked up system in a few high schools (one of them is ours!) where the kids basically teach each other, and the teachers are useless.
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

i had a "peer review" composition class in college. Fucking hated it. I was dealing with people who could barely speak English, and I never got a single correction/note on a single paper.
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

Might as well say it, most people aren't my peers.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:24 am Common Core came out in 2010, which was supposed to be a more logical way of teaching math to children.
That's what it was sold as, but not what is was designed for. In fact, one of the two people who created CC was a very vocal critic of the plan to use it to teach young children math. One of the biggest pushers of CC to schools was Bill Gates. Serious question: Why?

The U.S. lags well behind other countries in math and science scores. Those countries do not us CC. The U.S. used to score pretty highly and even went to the moon, all without CC. What was the need for CC?

I think the push for CC did less for improving education and more to prove the conspiracy theory about the government wanting people to be fed up with public schools so they can get out of them and make them all privatized.
GORDON wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:58 am Might as well say it, most people aren't my peers.
I'd call you a narcissist, but my recent college experience proved to me that 80% of the other students had shitty work ethics, zero wisdom (to be expected), no real critical thinking skills, no ability to follow simple directions, and were generally pretty stupid.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:58 am i had a "peer review" composition class in college. Fucking hated it. I was dealing with people who could barely speak English, and I never got a single correction/note on a single paper.
Leisher wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:40 am I'd call you a narcissist, but my recent college experience proved to me that 80% of the other students had shitty work ethics, zero wisdom (to be expected), no real critical thinking skills, no ability to follow simple directions, and were generally pretty stupid.
No offense, but yall didn't exactly go to Harvard. :)
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

What percentage of humanity would you say went to harvard, which will be a point against our observations that 80% of humanity are functionally retarded?
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:25 pm
GORDON wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:58 am i had a "peer review" composition class in college. Fucking hated it. I was dealing with people who could barely speak English, and I never got a single correction/note on a single paper.
Leisher wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:40 am I'd call you a narcissist, but my recent college experience proved to me that 80% of the other students had shitty work ethics, zero wisdom (to be expected), no real critical thinking skills, no ability to follow simple directions, and were generally pretty stupid.
No offense, but yall didn't exactly go to Harvard. :)
Harvard wouldn't let us in because we're both straight white males.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Education

Post by TheCatt »

At least your aren't Asian
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

They don't let them in either.
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

This generated a lot of outrage on Twitter:

Awesome school, but let's discuss the outrage. The usual suspects were named as to why their local schools weren't the same, but here are some simple facts about this school:
-It's in a well off suburb of Indianapolis.
-Their student population is 5414 students.
-73% of them are white, which means over a quarter of them are minorities.
-292 teachers.
-They spend $9k per student annually.

I have been told Baltimore spends $21k per student annually.
GORDON
Site Admin

Education

Post by GORDON »

How many teachers are attacked annually by students at Carmel High School?
Leisher
Site Admin

Education

Post by Leisher »

Education needs to catch up to technology before they graduate a shitload of ignorant cheaters.