Unpopular opinions

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by GORDON »

I think every musical/play I've ever seen has been mediocre, and very overrated.

Phantom of the Opera - Very beloved, and completely bland.

I have more I was thinking of in the car, but I can't think of them right now.

I've never seen a play that told a story as good as even a mediocre movie, yet plays are considered highbrow and brilliant, even when they aren't. I think claiming to love them is a snob/status thing.

So that's my unpopular opinion for the day.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by Leisher »

While I completely disagree, I get your point.

I recently saw Elf, as did you, and it was ok, but it didn't blow my skirt up. I have also been unimpressed by Phantom, and I've seen it three times. The last one was the best due to the effects, but the story is still shit. I saw Beauty and the Beast and the actor playing the prince was noticeably shorter than Belle, not attractive, and just had a mask when he was "the beast". My wife was not impressed. When I saw Chicago, with fucking Tom Wopat as Billy Flynn, his abysmal singing ruined it. Plus, it was nowhere near as impressive as the movie.

Plays are expensive. Your seat might suck. The actors' facials are almost meaningless for most of the audience. The sound system and your own hearing can drastically affect your enjoyment. Sometimes a play just sucks. Sometimes the actors suck.

And so on.

That being said, they also represent more than just entertainment for a few hours. They're a form of socialization and community. They are a great date night. The amount of work that goes into writing, choreographing, acting, memorizing movements and lines, song writing, and so on in these live performances is amazing and worth seeing. Some have interaction with the crowd that no film can match. I've seen Evil Dead multiple times and I've never been sprayed with blood like I was at Evil Dead: The Musical. My sister-in-law couldn't turn to me during a mediocre movie and point out how the elderly people in front of us have no idea that the guy on stage is singing the most offensive lines about their deity like she did during Book of Mormon.

ED:TM was also awesome because they could change the jokes year to year or performance to performance. A movie can't do that.

The live aspect makes them "more special" for a night out than seeing a film (aside from event films). And yeah, their reputation as "culture" makes them more attractive and gives them a level of snobbery. A level of snobbery that works in your favor as a member of the audience... Nobody's baby momma gonna have her 6 month old with her screaming throughout. Nobody is talking on their cell phones. The people in the front row aren't getting a blowjob. Etc.

And I have not even mentioned their historical significance and how they used to be a means of distributing news.

I LOVE movies as anyone here knows, but I love plays too. Does that make me better than you?

Yes. :D

Now let me share an unpopular opinion with you:

Concerts are a waste of time and money. Standing in a sea of morons for a hefty sum of money (tickets, parking, etc.) to see a band play worse than their album, which you could be at home listening to for far less money. I don't understand the allure. I mean, I do get seeing someone live, but imho, it's not worth the money.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Plays are expensive. Your seat might suck.
Yeah, to me it's more of a value thing. Musicals are fine, and a different experience than a movie, but movie's gonna win the value every time. Although, the atmosphere of most performing theatres >> movie theatres.
Leisher wrote: The live aspect makes them "more special" for a night out than seeing a film (aside from event films).
This.
Leisher wrote: Does that make me better than you?

Yes.
Also, me better than Gordon, too :)
Leisher wrote: Concerts are a waste of time and money. Standing in a sea of morons for a hefty sum of money (tickets, parking, etc.) to see a band play worse than their album, which you could be at home listening to for far less money.
I'm torn on this one. The feel + atmosphere of a live band can be amazing, and is certainly cheaper than a musical theatre show. That being said, I'm done with 100 degree summer outdoor concerts. And, hopefully, they are doing more than just playing songs from their CDs. Hopefully they put some performance into it.

The last 3 shows I've been to were all < $40, and were general admission.

So, since I like all 3, I have won the culture war.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Unpopular opinions

Post by Cakedaddy »

I've never seen a play/musical, but I still think I'm better than Gordon too.
Stranger

Unpopular opinions

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: I've seen Evil Dead multiple times and I've never been sprayed with blood like I was at Evil Dead: The Musical.
This is the best play i've ever been too bar none! awesome experience and i'd love to see it again. But i've been sprayed with more blood and come to think of it, semen.. at a Gwar concert, which brings me to my next statement.
Leisher wrote: Concerts are a waste of time and money.
I somewhat agree with this as i've gotten older because the prices of concerts have went up alot and like Catt says, the outdoor festivals are complete shit. But bands can't make money off of album sales or radio play anymore so i get the uptick in concert prices, but most new bands suck anymore so i don't go see them.

Also, i've seen Tool, Kid Rock, Def Leppard and TSO all within the last 5 years at the Huntington Center and i've gotta say they have all sounded great in that venue. So a good venue makes all the difference when seeing a band play. And if you've never been to a House of Blues to see a show, do it. I've even been fortunate enough to play at the one in Chicago 3 times, best venue ever!
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by Leisher »

Good points Stranger, but are you better than Gordon?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by GORDON »

The only way I'll go to a music concert any more is either, 1) I'm introducing the kid to the experience, or b) I was able to get VIP seating. That's the only way I was going to see Devin Townsend last year, because I managed to snag VIP seating.

That being said, {Evil Dead" was probably the best play/musical I've seen, exactly because we were in the front row, and could actually see facial expressions and such, as Leisher mentioned. I hadn't considered that aspect, but that may be why they're overrated.

Saw the Holy Grail musical a few years ago... balcony seats. The best laugh was an unscripted improv line, and it wasn't as good an experience as seeing the first Avengers movie in a crowded theater. Even for the 4th time. Not even as good as Doctor Strange. But at least I got to put my nose in the air, and be seen at the theater.

Lord of the Dance, which I think counts. It's a live show. Dull after the novelty wears off, after 7 minutes.

Elf. Even with good seats, I enjoyed seeing how they creatively went from one set to another, and I enjoyed seeing the theater chicks wearing tights, but it wasn't as good as watching the movie.

Maybe I'd enjoy them more if I could afford to spend 3x-10x the price every time, for the best seats, before they sell out. But I may never know.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by TheCatt »

Maybe you need something more interactive like Blue Man Group.
GORDON
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by GORDON »

Almost did in Vegas, but I didn't try to order fast enough, and there weren't any good seats left.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Almost did in Vegas, but I didn't try to order fast enough, and there weren't any good seats left.
Yeah, for BMG you want to be on the floor in the thick of it. We took the kids in Chicago two years ago, and had to wear the rain ponchos.
thibodeaux

Unpopular opinions

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Concerts are a waste of time and money. Standing in a sea of morons for a hefty sum of money (tickets, parking, etc.) to see a band play worse than their album, which you could be at home listening to for far less money. I don't understand the allure. I mean, I do get seeing someone live, but imho, it's not worth the money.
Agreed. And I've been *playing* live music for audiences (off and on) all my adult life.
thibodeaux

Unpopular opinions

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote: I think every musical/play I've ever seen has been mediocre, and very overrated.
In Virginia near where my in-laws live there is an EXCELLENT Shakespeare theatre. It's small enough that there are no bad seats, and it's not at all expensive.

And if you say you don't like Shakespeare:
[video][/video]
GORDON
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by GORDON »

I've been careful to qualify my statement and supporting arguments with, "that I've ever seen.". Maybe I just haven't seen the good ones.

But I still think movie lovers have a better sense of story and entertainment than.do strictly theater goers.
GORDON
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by GORDON »

No one else has any unpopular opinions? You agree with the majority in all.things?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by TheCatt »

Life isn't precious.

Most people can go die.
GORDON
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by GORDON »

All things considered, empirically speaking, and using the 3rd world as an example, human life is actually quite cheap.

But personally, I think life's pretty sweet.
thibodeaux

Unpopular opinions

Post by thibodeaux »

I have lots of unpopular opinions but I am gonna keep them to myself in case I get asked to host the oscars
TheCatt
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: I have lots of unpopular opinions but I am gonna keep them to myself in case I get asked to host the oscars
This isn't twitter.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: But personally, I think life's pretty sweet.
Big fan of life. Just saying it aint precious
Leisher
Site Admin

Unpopular opinions

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: No one else has any unpopular opinions? You agree with the majority in all.things?
I mean, isn't the whole site about us expressing our unpopular opinions?

For example: There are two genders. That's not even something that can be argued or debated. That's scientific fact. However, is that really something that a majority of people don't believe, and thus, would be unpopular?

Let me try this one: Statistics aren't racism. If you are statistically more likely to do a specific thing then people aren't racist when they take that into account when dealing with you.