Electric Car Thread

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

My EV just cleared its throat, politely.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: My 13 year old car says I'm better?
Circumstances forced me to buy a car.

Was your 13 year old car the equivalent of a Ford Focus when you bought it?
GORDON wrote: My EV just cleared its throat, politely.
How much was it? Over $15K and I've got you beat.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Was your 13 year old car the equivalent of a Ford Focus when you bought it?
Ewww. :)
Leisher wrote: How much was it? Over $15K and I've got you beat.
iirc, Gordon spent about $6k?

I spent $3k.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

$11k.
Cakedaddy

Electric Car Thread

Post by Cakedaddy »

What if you lease and the payment is that of a cheap car, but it gets you an expensive one? Also, what's expensive?
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Ewww.
I don't know what that means?
TheCatt wrote: I spent $3k.
13 years ago?
GORDON wrote: $11k.
For your electric car? And you're bitching about $100 more for registration?
Cakedaddy wrote: Also, what's expensive?
Good question.
Cakedaddy wrote: What if you lease and the payment is that of a cheap car, but it gets you an expensive one?
Honestly, I think this is what it's about. The people who drive expensive cars want to flaunt it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: $11k.
For your electric car? And you're bitching about $100 more for registration?
$200, the equivalent of an extra car payment, every year. Am I not allowed to bitch about taxes, your highness?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I don't know what that means?
Comparing my car to a Focus.
Leisher wrote: 13 years ago?
2 years ago. It was probably $27k new? (2007 Toyota Highlander Limited V6)
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: $200, the equivalent of an extra car payment, every year. Am I not allowed to bitch about taxes, your highness?
No you don't peasant. Not when you paid thousands less than what the cheapest gas car costs and you aren't paying for gas. That's like winning an all expenses paid 2 week vacation to some crazy expensive resort (like Atlantis) and then bitching because you have to pay $200 for the airfare to get there.

I'm fine with bitching about taxes, but aren't you out far less money than when you drove a gas car?
TheCatt wrote: Comparing my car to a Focus.
So you are, literally, being the dick according to the study? "My car is so much better than your car."
TheCatt wrote: 2 years ago. It was probably $27k new? (2007 Toyota Highlander Limited V6)
I enjoy the fact that we're all driving cheap cars.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: So you are, literally, being the dick according to the study? "My car is so much better than your car."
And I only paid $3k... Sure f'ing up that study's data! :)
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: $200, the equivalent of an extra car payment, every year. Am I not allowed to bitch about taxes, your highness?
No you don't peasant. Not when you paid thousands less than what the cheapest gas car costs and you aren't paying for gas. That's like winning an all expenses paid 2 week vacation to some crazy expensive resort (like Atlantis) and then bitching because you have to pay $200 for the airfare to get there.

I'm fine with bitching about taxes, but aren't you out far less money than when you drove a gas car?
If they had grandfathered it for new registrations from here on out, I'd be bitching a lot less. But when I was making the decision, I spent a good amount of time weighing the pro/cons, and the financials of it. Adding $200 yearly cost to this makes a difference over the life of the car, as far as cost of ownership. It changes the landscape.

And, it was never on a ballot, and I never got to vote on it.

AND.... if "two years" wasn't the new minimum for any state road project, I'd be a lot less irritated about an increase of highway money. You know those fuckers are getting paid by the hour when it takes them two years to build a new on ramp, two years to install a new string of lights on the bridge.

So show me your tea, I want to dump it into Lake Erie.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: If they had grandfathered it for new registrations from here on out, I'd be bitching a lot less. But when I was making the decision, I spent a good amount of time weighing the pro/cons, and the financials of it. Adding $200 yearly cost to this makes a difference over the life of the car, as far as cost of ownership. It changes the landscape.
The difference between your electric car and a gas car is that small? Really? I'm not seeing it. Are you getting dinged on insurance too or are their battery disposal costs?
GORDON wrote: And, it was never on a ballot, and I never got to vote on it.
This made me laugh. Imagine if voters' opinions actually mattered.
GORDON wrote: AND.... if "two years" wasn't the new minimum for any state road project, I'd be a lot less irritated about an increase of highway money. You know those fuckers are getting paid by the hour when it takes them two years to build a new on ramp, two years to install a new string of lights on the bridge.
Don't get me started... Plus, the fucking idiots intentionally don't build the roads to properly last. They need to dig down another...I don't know 4 feet?...and the roads would last far longer with no potholes. However, they will never do that because "job security".
GORDON wrote: So show me your tea, I want to dump it into Lake Erie.
Fuck you. I like tea. Go dump coffee into Lake Erie or Red Bull.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: If they had grandfathered it for new registrations from here on out, I'd be bitching a lot less. But when I was making the decision, I spent a good amount of time weighing the pro/cons, and the financials of it. Adding $200 yearly cost to this makes a difference over the life of the car, as far as cost of ownership. It changes the landscape.
The difference between your electric car and a gas car is that small? Really? I'm not seeing it. Are you getting dinged on insurance too or are their battery disposal costs?
Insurance is twice as much as on my F-150, which has a higher bluebook value, I'm sure.

No "battery disposal fees" yet, until Cakedaddy starts a petition to make a new tax to do that.

SInce you asked, the cost is going to be in resale value. WHen this car's battery is depleted, it will have almost zero trade-in value, if any. As of now it costs about $6k to replace them. SO, if I'd bought a used ICE (internal combustion engine) car that had gas mileage anywhere close to what I get with the EV (50-90 MPG, depending on the price of gas today) for $15k, I'd still be able to get $4k (or something) in 5 years when I wanted to trade it in. Not so with the EV.

And this is with the fact that my Leaf takes care of a very specific need I had to drive to and from Toledo, twice every school day. It doesn't work at all if I want to drive 50 miles from home, and I don't have a charger there (that doesn't have a line of EVs waiting for it, or a big pickup up truck blocking the charger because he supports the oil industry) so I can charge it back up. If I didn't have the F-150 on reserve, this EV wouldn't work for me at all.

SO, there are costs, both money, and opportunity. And now there's more.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: or a big pickup up truck blocking the charger because he supports the oil industry
That's hilarious. People REALLY fear change.
GORDON wrote: Insurance is twice as much as on my F-150
Probably because of the battery replacement/disposal costs, and I assume general safety of the vehicle.

All those costs aside, which suck, I don't see where "The Man" is getting his cut. So the additional costs to registration are shit, but expected. Kind of like how the costs to register a car in a state like Florida is astronomically high compared to states with income tax, like Ohio.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Probably because of the battery replacement/disposal costs,
Repair costs if something goes wrong, plus odds of it being totaled due to the electronics, are pretty significant.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

If the government really wants people to adapt to these things, then they need to figure out how to reduce the cost of ownership. If that starts with them not getting their blood money, then so be it. If they're unwilling to stop wanting their piece of the pie, then they should stop encouraging people to get them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

From the Leaf subreddit:
I tire of all this Leaf maintenance

I had to top up my windshield fluid again, for the second time in... months. And just last year, I had to change my cabin air filter and check the brake fluid. Might even have to rotate the tires soon and test the 12V battery. So annoying /s.
I still haven't done anything to mine except change the cabin air filter, and replace a dead 12v battery. Bout 2 years and 20k miles, now.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

lol. I do look forward to an electric some day.

Preferably this one. It doesn't have the specs the Tesla has, but it's beautiful.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

I mentioned it before... but as low as gas prices are right now, it makes an EV less economical. If I was still commuting, it would be costing me more in electricity than it would in gas, at the moment (not figuring in my nonexistent maintenance costs, which prolly equal it out).

Which isn't on the radar if you're looking at the Porsche model.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Which isn't on the radar if you're looking at the Porsche model.
Correct. Also, I WFH, so there's no commuting.