Electric Car Thread

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Is there a fly in here?

It did look like an electric charging cable to me, but my literal guess was that there was a propane tank in the trunk that failed.

Did you see that one guy's ricochet death? Completely unremarkable, in my opinion.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:06 pm Did you see that one guy's ricochet death? Completely unremarkable, in my opinion.
I'm going to kill you first.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

https://autos.yahoo.com/ev-road-trip-pr ... 23954.html

Charging infrastructure still sucks
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

And our government still sucks.

Not only did their attempt fail to cover up how bad the charging infrastructure is, but they also exposed how they're willing to hide reality from the public.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

I'd like to see the car that ICEd out a charger ticketed. Nothing pisses off the EV community more, and worse, it's a government official trying to take advantage of their privilege to screw over the little people. Fuck that, ban that person from government service for life.

On the other hand, I hope this wakes up the government that there are still problems to be solved before they convert everyone over to EVs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

At this point, I'd only buy an electric that I planned to drive like 99% locally. Like maybe an electric version of the Porsche Boxster.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

I love my EV, but I'm not getting rid of my truck. Sometimes I need to drive more than 30 miles from home.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:07 pm I love my EV, but I'm not getting rid of my truck. Sometimes I need to drive more than 30 miles from home.
Do you have a high-capacity charger at home, or does the Leaf do fine with something lower capacity?
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Trickle charging, 110v wall outlets, would generally work for me. It would charge in about 12 hours. But I'm handy and went ahead and installed a 240v outlet in my garage for a 4-hour charge.

My particular Leaf also has a port for the ultra-fast 480v charging, which I've never used. I understand it would take me from 0 to 80% in about 30 minutes, if I was ever on a road trip.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Nice. We're redoing a bunch of stuff in our house, so we're getting a 60-Amp electric charger setup as well for the future, since electrician will already be out here.

We are looking at the Tesla charger since it does both "standards" (Tesla and the actual standard in the US).
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:07 pm At this point, I'd only buy an electric that I planned to drive like 99% locally. Like maybe an electric version of the Porsche Boxster.
Agree. I still do far too much running around and driving an hour away (lake, airport, or kid's college). I could see getting one when I'm retired.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:39 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:07 pm At this point, I'd only buy an electric that I planned to drive like 99% locally. Like maybe an electric version of the Porsche Boxster.
Agree. I still do far too much running around and driving an hour away (lake, airport, or kid's college). I could see getting one when I'm retired.
Our primary is a minivan. Our 2nd is the Boxster. I WFH, wife is SAHM. So we only need 1 car that drives a lot atm.

I feel like electric cars will be good around 2027. I used to say 2025, but COVID ruined that prediction, I think.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

For your grocery getter, they've been good since about 2011. Range is the only real issue.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Approaching 70k miles on my car and I may need to get new tires soon. That will be my first maintenance cost for this car since.............................

Maybe new windshield wipers, a few years ago?
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

I don't think I understand what that graph is trying to say.

I bought mine used, and only charge at home. I got no tax subsidies or whatever. I don't use public infrastructure. The only crazy expense I have is an Ohio "alternate fuel tax" of $200 annually, on the car that now gets driven maybe 1000 miles a year, which I call a true expense, and a ripoff.

And what is that "cost to ICE drivers" cost?

$17 per gallon equivalent sounds like massive amounts of bullshit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

I'm booking another SC trip and Hertz is offering me a Tesla 3 cheaper than any car at National or Avis.

I'm considering it...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:16 pm I'm booking another SC trip and Hertz is offering me a Tesla 3 cheaper than any car at National or Avis.

I'm considering it...
The acceleration from those is always fun. Tire/road noise is a bit more due to the heaviness of the cars. As long as you can find a charger/don't need to charge it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

I'm investigating to see where I can charge it if needed. None of the hotels seem to have chargers per their websites.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Tesla's charging app is almost certainly more up to date than hotel websites. That would be my first choice.