Electric Car Thread

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Good point. The only good.camera cops I like are the ones watching school zones. They shoot the front... Til now.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Saw someone on reddit say this, thought it would fit in here.
Inevitably every time there is a thread about electric cars someone comes in to say "electric cars are worse for the environment anyway because of the production!" I would like to pre-emptively provide some info on that.

Wether or not an electric vehicle is beneficial in the long run depends heavily on where you live and what the source of your electricity is, however, in most cases it's still a net environmental positive to replace an inefficient car with an electric car. You can do the math yourself to figure out how long it would take for the equation to "break even" using data from the department of energy, anything past that point is benefiting the environment. I live in Nevada, which at it turns out is slightly better than average on its energy production.

I really recommend this video, and make sure you check the description which links to a lot of sources and tools. Even if you don't plan to get an electric car it might be a good idea to do the math to determine when the break even would be for your location. It might give you an idea of the larger environmental state of where you live.

https://youtu.be/6RhtiPefVzM

I personally recently got a second hand all electric vehicle, and it replaced a VERY inefficient and older with questionable safety vehicle. I'm very happy, I love the new car, it's fun to drive, its much safer, and I feel happy that considering I need a car where I live, it's not optional, and my car realistically needed to be replaced if not now within the next 2 years, that I made the best decision for the environment in the process.

I hope in the future to get rooftop solar to double down!
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

4plbdhdhllj61.jpg
Nissan Leaf remains among the cheapest to buy, and most environmentally sound. For the record, still loving mine. I've spent almost no money on it since purchase, aside from charging it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:04 am Nissan Leaf remains among the cheapest to buy, and most environmentally sound.
I see a dot to the left of it and several below it...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Thus, among.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:04 am Nissan Leaf remains among the cheapest to buy, and most environmentally sound. For the record, still loving mine. I've spent almost no money on it since purchase, aside from charging it.
Nice.

I want to go electric, but I also want more competition and more maturity outside of Tesla. I'm guessing I buy electric somewhere in 2025.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:04 am Nissan Leaf remains among the cheapest to buy, and most environmentally sound. For the record, still loving mine. I've spent almost no money on it since purchase, aside from charging it.
Which year do you own?

I'm kinda intrigued by getting an electric as an around town car. I'd love a fancy one, but I don't drive enough.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

2015 S.

I lucked out. It was the only one available when I was shopping, but it turns out that year and model has an insanely good battery. I'm at 60k miles and still have 93% battery efficiency.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:45 amThus, among.
Did you edit in that among? :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:15 pm
I didnt?
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:15 pm
I did not. You just missed it. NBD.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Porsche ramping up electrics, Taycan sales = 911 sales.

The Taycan is gorgeous, and I'm going to drive one later this month at the Porsche place in Atlanta. But it's sooooo much money for the performance relative to Tesla.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

We did the Porsche driving experience today. Holy fucking shit it was amazing. I drove the Taycan Turbo 4S and the 911 Turbo. Vroom fucking vroom. Wife drove only the Taycan Turbo.

1.5 hours on the course, lots of twists, 14 curves on a 1 mile course, with one blind corner, and two straight away. Did some launch control starts, each car does 0 to 60 in about 2.5. And 60 to 0 even faster. About 1.35gs when braking. It was jarring. We also did a slalom course, short course handling/low-traction where you kick the back end out a lot, wet track for drifting, and man it was crazy. At the end i let the rpo drive, and he took that car through the course like it was a fucking rollercoaster, holy shit balls.

Amazing, highly recommend

Wife got out of her car at the end and asked when I was buying her one.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

Very cool! I would love to do that.

I once got to do five laps at MIS in an Indy car with a professional driver. We were near 200 MPH. That first lap things flew by, but you get used to the speed really quickly.

Uh, that wasn't an electric car though...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:54 pm Very cool! I would love to do that.

I once got to do five laps at MIS in an Indy car with a professional driver. We were near 200 MPH. That first lap things flew by, but you get used to the speed really quickly.

Uh, that wasn't an electric car though...
I really highly recommend it. It was pricey, but getting to drive the cars through the track was just, wow. Full-throttling those machines was just... completely unlike anything else I've ever done. The fastest car I've ever driven was a Tesla model S, which was 5.0 seconds. These cars were 2.4 (Taycan Turbo S) and 2.2 (911 Turbo S). I never went close to 200, in fact, I have no idea how fast I went, cuz it was so hard to look at anything but where you were going.

Due to covid, I had thought they were doing follow the leader with the instructor in another car, communicating over radio, but they recently went back to in-car, instead, which I was happy about. Was much easier to understand than I assume a radio would be.

The "let's talk, here's the track, here's the car, take a photo or two" piece was pretty short: like 5 minutes, and then you're in the car for the remaining 85 minutes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Battery tech continues to evolve.
Enovix, based in Fremont, California, announced that it demonstrated in electric vehicle (EV) battery cells the ability to charge from 0% to 80% state-of-charge in as little as 5.2 minutes and to achieve a greater than 98% charge capacity in under 10 minutes. The cells also surpassed 1,000 cycles while retaining 93% of their capacity.

The achievement shattered the United States Advanced Battery Consortium (USABC) goal of achieving 80% charge in 15 minutes.

Other goals for USABC at the cell level include a usable energy density of 550 Wh/L, a survival temperature range of -40 to +66 degrees C, and a cost of $75/kWh at an annual output volume of 250,000 units. A full set of USABC targets can be found here.

The company demonstrated the fast-charge ability in its 0.27 Ah EV cells in its silicon lithium-ion batteries, which it said contain a novel 3D architecture and constraint system. The cells contain a 100% active silicon anode. Enovix said the material has long been heralded as an important technology in the next generation of battery anodes.

Silicon anodes can theoretically store more than twice as much lithium than the graphite anode that is used in nearly all Li-ion batteries today (1800mAh/cubic centimeter vs. 800mAh/cubic centimeter).
No word on if it can scale / be cost effective.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

Still waiting for a really good solution for once the battery goes bad. I've heard of recycling, but it's too expensive?
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

People buy used Nissan Leaf batteries to use in their Tesla home power walls. What may be too degraded for a car works great for a house.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

That's pretty cool. How long do they last there? Do they go someplace else after that or do they then become a problem?