Bad Economic Predictions

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

I keep hearing two different types of stories:

1. Places can't find employees willing to work for what they want to pay (they gotta pay more)
2. Places that are cutting incentives and shit, making employees quit faster.

What does this mean in a time of quickly rising economic inflation? Seems like 2 storm fronts are merging.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Thanks, Trump.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:04 pm I keep hearing two different types of stories:

1. Places can't find employees willing to work for what they want to pay (they gotta pay more)
2. Places that are cutting incentives and shit, making employees quit faster.

What does this mean in a time of quickly rising economic inflation? Seems like 2 storm fronts are merging.
A company I will not name (you've probably never heard of it) starts every all-hands meeting talking about record quarters with phenomenal (like, 100%y/y) growth, and also recently raised a large round of capital...yet is giving out 3% raises. Literally paying top-performing engineers (who have years of product and domain knowledge) less than what is budgeted for open reqs.

No idea if this is just incompetence or a clever 4-d chess strategy.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

It's crazy. "Thanks for making us successful, and a shitload of money. Also, fuck you. But here's to more great quarters! Fuck your mothers. Enjoy the pizza party."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:40 pm A company I will not name (you've probably never heard of it) starts every all-hands meeting talking about record quarters with phenomenal (like, 100%y/y) growth, and also recently raised a large round of capital...yet is giving out 3% raises. Literally paying top-performing engineers (who have years of product and domain knowledge) less than what is budgeted for open reqs.
Is it a company where you work?

I got a 0% raise if that makes anyone feel better. Although, my bonus was pretty good.
thibodeaux

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:11 pm Is it a company where you work?
Not important.
I got a 0% raise if that makes anyone feel better. Although, my bonus was pretty good.
That's true, this company did give a pretty good bonus. But still. Open req for a "grade 7" (aka "Senior") software engineer for a salary more than that being paid to "grade 8" (aka "Staff") engineers, who are consistently top performers. Many such cases.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:07 pm But still. Open req for a "grade 7" (aka "Senior") software engineer for a salary more than that being paid to "grade 8" (aka "Staff") engineers, who are consistently top performers. Many such cases.
Salary compression happens. Everywhere I've been you have to make noise, often with a competing offer, to get anything done, assuming moderate-big company.
thibodeaux

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:37 pm
thibodeaux wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:07 pm But still. Open req for a "grade 7" (aka "Senior") software engineer for a salary more than that being paid to "grade 8" (aka "Staff") engineers, who are consistently top performers. Many such cases.
Salary compression happens. Everywhere I've been you have to make noise, often with a competing offer, to get anything done, assuming moderate-big company.
I guess but it seems so myopic. The corollary, of course, is that anybody who isn't hopping jobs every few years is leaving a LOT of money on the table.
-- The guy who worked at the same company for 13 years...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:34 am The corollary, of course, is that anybody who isn't hopping jobs every few years is leaving a LOT of money on the table.
Yep. Especially in technology these past several years. And especially now that a lot of big tech companies are going remote.

I hired someone out of college 1.5 years ago, and he makes an obscene amount of $$$, imho. Light years past where I was at that age.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Sell any stock you have in companies that make air fryers. Repair guy came out today and we were chatting. New ovens are starting to come with air fryer features.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:07 pm Sell any stock you have in companies that make air fryers. Repair guy came out today and we were chatting. New ovens are starting to come with air fryer features.
Isn't air fryer just a convection oven?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by thibodeaux »

See also: Chick Fil A
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:43 pm See also: Chick Fil A
That's exactly what popped into my head when I was reading this.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:35 pm Isn't air fryer just a convection oven
Basically.

However, adding the term "air frying" to ovens will hurt the air fryer business.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Private school teaching positions have always struck me as boutique jobs, for people who don't need the money. I asked my girlfriend how many of her Montessori peers married rich.... she said almost all of them. And that's why she needs three jobs, with a full-time tenured teaching position at a private school.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Most of the teachers I had at private school were not rich, nor married rich.

But, they liked having their kids go there for free.

It was my understanding that private schools actually paid less, but were just more pleasant to work at.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

"more pleasant to work at" is why she avoids the public schools, which pay 2-3x more, but have union and administration headaches. She feels like she can make a difference at Montessori.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

What's this I'm hearing about Congress discussing capping nurse pay? Apparently TikTok is filling up with nurses now discussing a nationwide strike.