Bad Economic Predictions

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Who thought that was a good idea? Insurance companies who own hospitals (and also own senators)?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:14 pm Insurance companies who own hospitals (and also own senators)?
Probably something like this.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:06 pm What's this I'm hearing about Congress discussing capping nurse pay? Apparently TikTok is filling up with nurses now discussing a nationwide strike.
They are looking at travel nurses "price gouging" the healthcare system due to demand.

Travel nurses are making BANK right now.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:49 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:06 pm What's this I'm hearing about Congress discussing capping nurse pay? Apparently TikTok is filling up with nurses now discussing a nationwide strike.
They are looking at travel nurses "price gouging" the healthcare system due to demand.

Travel nurses are making BANK right now.
Good. Let them.

It's not like Congresspeople aren't also making bank.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:34 am I guess but it seems so myopic. The corollary, of course, is that anybody who isn't hopping jobs every few years is leaving a LOT of money on the table.
-- The guy who worked at the same company for 13 years...

This person feels your pain.

At most large places I've worked at, a competing offer is enough to get HR off its ass.
thibodeaux

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by thibodeaux »

I'm not even complaining about my own pay (although...guys who do the same job as me are getting insane offers from Big Tech). I'm mostly irritated on behalf of the people under me.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:38 pm I'm not even complaining about my own pay (although...guys who do the same job as me are getting insane offers from Big Tech). I'm mostly irritated on behalf of the people under me.
Well, if you are their boss, you have to fight HR for them.
thibodeaux

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:44 pm
thibodeaux wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:38 pm I'm not even complaining about my own pay (although...guys who do the same job as me are getting insane offers from Big Tech). I'm mostly irritated on behalf of the people under me.
Sure. And in a physical fight I could probably take them. But in an email fight, I haven't figured out the counter to "lol no gfy".
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:05 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:44 pm
Sure. And in a physical fight I could probably take them. But in an email fight, I haven't figured out the counter to "lol no gfy".
Suck.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

I'll be looking around September/August no matter what happens at my current job. Although, I'm also going to be due a significant raise then as well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:36 pm I'll be looking around September/August no matter what happens at my current job. Although, I'm also going to be due a significant raise then as well.
Well, the market is stupidly hot right now, so good luck!
thibodeaux

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:13 pm
thibodeaux wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:05 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:44 pm Well, if you are their boss, you have to fight HR for them.
Suck.
Yeah I was hoping it wouldn’t come to that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:52 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:13 pm
thibodeaux wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:05 pm Sure. And in a physical fight I could probably take them. But in an email fight, I haven't figured out the counter to "lol no gfy".
Suck.
Yeah I was hoping it wouldn’t come to that.
I mean, you gotta play the game...
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Hooray for this trend!

Not disclosing what they were willing to pay was always in the favor of the corporation. Now power is transferring to the employee, and that's how it should be. This will help drive up salaries as people won't apply to low paying jobs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:25 pm Hooray for this trend!

Not disclosing what they were willing to pay was always in the favor of the corporation. Now power is transferring to the employee, and that's how it should be. This will help drive up salaries as people won't apply to low paying jobs.
I remember the first time I saw an entire department's payroll, and it's just wild how out of whack some of the salaries were. I got my team's payroll fixed (where necessary), but man it was weird seeing just how poorly coordinated performance and salary were.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:09 pm Here's a random thought I had the other day.

Last week our garbage pickup was a day late, the VM I got said "Sorry, unexpected equipment problem, we'll get your trash by the end of the week."

Truck broke, NBD. It happens.

But what if the problem was a circuit board, or something, and there was a 4-month lead time in getting a new one? The post-corona economy, and resulting supply chain problems, might easily end up looking like piles of trash in the streets in a short time frame.
In the last 5 days, I have been to two restaurants.

The first had a broken grill, and they couldn't make half the menu. If it didn't come out of the fryer, they didn't have it.

Last night the place we went to had a broken pizza oven. That was half the menu. Then after our first round of drinks were served, the carbonation thingie in their basement broke, "there's water shooting all over the basement at the moment, sorry," and that meant no more soft drinks.

Anecdote isn't data. Also, I've never once been in a restaurant that had these problems, much less 2 in a row in one week. Interesting coincidence.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:44 pm Business Insider says "Experts say a 'washout' is coming to Wall St."

Behind a paywall so I can't get the details.
Interest rates will rise, marking the end of easy money, and bad ideas/companies will go under, is the gist of it (also can't read it), but that seems to be the point.
thibodeaux

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by thibodeaux »

Look on the bright side, guys. If we have a nuclear war, it won't matter what the stock market does.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Stonks fall down go boom again. S&P down > 20% from ATHs. Nasdaq down 31% from ATHs.