Bad Economic Predictions

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:56 pm The emergency status enables fuel to be transported by road.
Of course, if we already have a trucker shortage...

At any rate, both our cars are full.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Congress asking airlines to either extend credits indefinitely or offer refunds.

I could not agree more. My wife had a flight cancelled Spring of last year due to covid and the airline offered her another flight for free as long as she took it within 6 months. What kind of bullshit policy is that?

Prices for everything are surging.

The gas thing has me a touch concerned considering all of our trips to Cleveland and back for my daughter's theater company. Thankfully this is the last week of their current show.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

I'm going to say my "the economy will take a decade to recover" prediction is still in play.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:04 am The gas thing has me a touch concerned considering all of our trips to Cleveland and back for my daughter's theater company. Thankfully this is the last week of their current show.
Isn't your pipeline. Just us east coasters.
Leisher wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:04 am I could not agree more. My wife had a flight cancelled Spring of last year due to covid and the airline offered her another flight for free as long as she took it within 6 months. What kind of bullshit policy is that?
Srsly.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:56 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:51 pm
Leisher wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:45 pm Truck driver shortage is going to cause gas shortages this summer.
Time to hoard some gasoline
Too late
The US government declared a state of emergency on Sunday after the largest fuel pipeline in the US was hit by a ransomware cyber-attack.

The Colonial Pipeline carries 2.5 million barrels a day - 45% of the East Coast's supply of diesel, gasoline and jet fuel.

It was completely knocked offline by a cyber-criminal gang on Friday and is still working to restore service.

The emergency status enables fuel to be transported by road.

Experts say fuel prices are likely to rise 2-3% on Monday, but the impact will be far worse if it goes on for much longer.
Hackers release statement saying they don't want to hurt society, just make money.

This is real life...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

"We didn't know attacking the country's infrastructure would be bad. Was that wrong? SHould we have not done that?"
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:29 pm Hackers release statement saying they don't want to hurt society, just make money.

This is real life...
I mean, if they aren't hurting anyone, who would pay them money? They going to start taking down Geocities sites?
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

When gas is below $1.50 per gallon, my car is not economical, compared to what I pay for electricity.

Right now my electric car is looking damned good.
thibodeaux

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:45 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:29 pm Hackers release statement saying they don't want to hurt society, just make money.

This is real life...
I mean, if they aren't hurting anyone, who would pay them money? They going to start taking down Geocities sites?
FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS
Troy

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Troy »

Fuck ups all around.... I bet the full and direct attention of US Cyber Command is fun. Like Sauron's eye.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:30 pm Fuck ups all around.... I bet the full and direct attention of US Cyber Command is fun. Like Sauron's eye.
I hope they kill them all.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:27 am Isn't your pipeline. Just us east coasters.
The hoarding started yesterday. Today, I went to lunch, and every gas station I passed had lines into the streets.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Camp Lejeune put out an advisory, there's no gas on base.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

7.5% of gas stations in the area are out.

It's primarily people filling up who otherwise wouldn't. Demand up 25% yesterday, 40% today. Just to get ahead of the outage.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:14 pm Camp Lejeune put out an advisory, there's no gas on base.
"SSgt, I haven't been able to get gas for a week, I can't get on base."
"You better shit some gas, Marine."

~The Marines
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

I was on E today and pulled into Kroger at lunch. Every pump had a car and one was waiting. Usually, only half the pumps have cars.

One guy in a truck had four 10-20 gallon containers that he was also filling up.

Panic travels apparently.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Shit I just realized I dont realize the last time I put gas in my Leaf.

:-D
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:19 pm
GORDON wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:14 pm Camp Lejeune put out an advisory, there's no gas on base.
"SSgt, I haven't been able to get gas for a week, I can't get on base."
"You better shit some gas, Marine."

~The Marines
They just posted this, in case you're planning on going to Lejeune:
Fuel Update
MCB Camp Lejeune and MCAS New River is currently receiving only limited supplies of commercial fuel due to a supply line issue affecting the Colonial Pipeline, which provides 40% of the fuel to this region.
This afternoon, only two gas stations will be receiving deliveries of fuel:
Central Marine Mart (next to Domino’s, open 4 A.M. – 9 P.M.)
MCAS New River (open 6 A.M. – 9 P.M.)
Between Wednesday and Friday, the only gas stations receiving periodic commercial fuel deliveries will be:
Central Marine Mart (4 A.M. – 9 P.M.)
HWY 172 Marine Mart (Courthouse Bay) (5:30 A.M. – 9 P.M.)
MCAS New River Marine Mart (6 A.M. – 9 P.M.)
Gonzales Marine Mart (Diesel only) (6 A.M. – 6 P.M.) **No additional shipments are planned at this time. Diesel will be available until available stock is depleted.
Please visit www.mccslejeune-newriver.com for weekend hours of operation.
For the time being, please refuel only primary vehicles and limit purchases to no more than $40. Do not refuel portable fuel containers.
Please lineup for gas in an orderly fashion, wait patiently, and do not block traffic on main roads. Do not travel unnecessarily, carpool when possible, and ask your chain of command about telework options.
My quote still applies.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:42 pm One guy in a truck had four 10-20 gallon containers that he was also filling up.
YOU'RE NOT EVEN IN THE RIGHT STATE, BUDDY!

No CL, but we're planning to camp near Cherry Point this weekend, gas willing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:48 pm YOU'RE NOT EVEN IN THE RIGHT STATE, BUDDY!
To be fair to panic boy, the trucker shortage is expected to cause stations throughout the U.S. to run out of gas occasionally this summer.