General "Unions" Thread

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That's by NFL rules.
That's my point. It's not a free market.
Leisher wrote: In what dream world do you live in where IBM is forced to hire kids out of high school just because they want a job instead of going to college?
?????
Leisher wrote: If they want to go pro there are three other leagues they can join. Where, in the holy hell, is the lack of options?
There's literally one league worth a damned.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: That's my point. It's not a free market.
Explain how you think a corporation has to hire someone they don't want to hire.
?????
Point being, the NFL doesn't want them, but you think they MUST hire them. Why? Do we force other corporations to do the same?
There's literally one league worth a damned.
That's opinion, not fact. Several ballers have gone to Europe and China prior to and after NBA careers. Manziel and Clarett both went to the CFL.

If you can make millions, is it a crap league?

Again, just because someone wants to play in the NBA or NFL doesn't mean they have to let them.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Point being, the NFL doesn't want them, but you think they MUST hire them.
Gotcha. No, I'm saying the NBA teams / NFL teams don't even get a chance to hire people. And the NBA clearly would based on when they did allow it.
Leisher
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: No, I'm saying the NBA teams / NFL teams don't even get a chance to hire people. And the NBA clearly would based on when they did allow it.
Ok, but it's THEIR rules. Literally they made them. Players don't have to go to college.

The NCAA has nothing to do with one and done or three and done.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The NCAA has nothing to do with one and done or three and done.
But they do restrict the scholarships, payments, etc. I'm just saying, why not a free market all around?
Leisher
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But they do restrict the scholarships, payments, etc. I'm just saying, why not a free market all around?
As I linked evidence to in the other thread where we're discussing this, most colleges lose money on sports. Now you want players to get paid, and more than likely, most will be busts and cost colleges even more in lost money?

Additionally, you want them to hold jobs for people that don't want to work there, while they go look for another employer?

I'd say the free market is working overtime already. The vast, vast majority of these kids are making more in the education than they'll ever make as a pro.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Additionally, you want them to hold jobs for people that don't want to work there, while they go look for another employer?
It's seriously a 3 week extension beyond what they already do, I don't understand why that's such a big deal to you?
Leisher wrote: I'd say the free market is working overtime already. The vast, vast majority of these kids are making more in the education than they'll ever make as a pro.
Probably, since their welfare is socialized by the more successful. That's not a free market.
Leisher
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: It's seriously a 3 week extension beyond what they already do, I don't understand why that's such a big deal to you?
Explain your three week extension.

National letter of intent day is in January. The NFL draft just happened and it's the end of April.
Probably, since their welfare is socialized by the more successful. That's not a free market.
How is a free education in exchange for playing a child's game welfare? Last time I checked the players could choose any school (meaning different levels of compensation), could choose to go pro, or could choose to not play.

I'm simply not seeing the lack of a free market. They have choices. Nobody is forcing them to do anything.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Explain your three week extension.
People have until the end of May to come back from the NBA Draft. The NBA Draft is June 21st.
Leisher wrote: I'm simply not seeing the lack of a free market. They have choices.
Then you never will see it. Having multiple choices doesn't mean a free market. Look at broadband.
Leisher
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: People have until the end of May to come back from the NBA Draft. The NBA Draft is June 21st.
For basketball, those kids can join the G league and skip college completely. They can go make millions in Europe and China. Fuck them.

Now apply your 3 week rule to college football. Let's talk about the same sports.
TheCatt wrote: Then you never will see it. Having multiple choices doesn't mean a free market. Look at broadband.
No, because I'm not an economist, I'm a realist.

Their market is free as fuck. They can make dick all the way to making millions. The only part of your argument that doesn't happen for them is playing in the NFL or NBA when THEY want to, and I don't know why you think they should get to make that choice. Why do you think employees get to choose when to be hired?
TheCatt
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: No, because I'm not an economist, I'm a realist.

Their market is free as fuck.
Well, no. See your first sentence.
Leisher
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Well, no. See your first sentence.
I'm fine with all my sentences.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how they're "slave labor" (your words) when they have the option to not play, not go to college, go to any college for free, go pro in Europe or China and make millions, etc.

The only option they do not have is to FORCE a private company to hire them immediately.

99% of the people in this country don't have anywhere close to those options coming out of high school.

I just feel awful for these poor exploited athletes. Maybe we can set up a charity for them?
TheCatt
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I'm still waiting for you to explain how they're "slave labor" (your words) when they have the option to not play, not go to college, go to any college for free, go pro in Europe or China and make millions, etc.
Can they go to the NBA and play? Yes, or no? No. The end.
Leisher wrote: The only option they do not have is to FORCE a private company to hire them immediately.
A monpolistic company.
Leisher
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Can they go to the NBA and play? Yes, or no? No. The end.
Yes. the G League is the NBA. The end.
TheCatt wrote: A monpolistic company.
They're not a monopoly. The G League, AAU, ABA, Europe, China, etc.

Embrace the global market Catt.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by TheCatt »

The maximum regular salary in the G League was around $26,000
Not the NBA.
Leisher wrote: They're not a monopoly.
Monopolistic.
Leisher
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Not the NBA.
So go to Europe. The G League is a stepping stone and developmental league for the NBA. Same as single, double, and triple A baseball teams. Ditto for lower level hockey teams.
TheCatt wrote: Monopolistic.
"ish".

There are a lot of other pro leagues. Some pay well enough to keep their stars (Europe and China).

Entry into the market isn't tough as Ice Cube proved. However, nobody seems to be willing to outbid the NBA here in the states.
Leisher
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by Leisher »

SCOTUS bitch slaps unions.
The justices struck down an Illinois law that required non-union workers to pay fees that go to collective bargaining.
Essentially, you can't force people who aren't in your club to pay your club's fees to further your club's agenda.

Fuck unions.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Essentially, you can't force people who aren't in your club to pay your club's fees to further your club's agenda.
I'm torn. They already decided in 1977 that non members didn't have to pay for pieces of the union, which feels fair. The non members certainly receive benefits from the members, due to collective bargaining, etc. I felt the previous ruling was fairer, and that there is no perfect solution.
GORDON
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by GORDON »

I read threads elsewhere with union members... They violently hate the non union dues payers who "Still benefit from the workers rights that unions gave them.". I'm hard pressed to think of a scummier group of people, based on their posts.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

General "Unions" Thread

Post by TheCatt »

I know why unions exist. I know why they did a lot of good for workers. I can see how they can continue to do good. But I'm torn on a way to increase good for workers without incurring the penalties imposed by unionization.