Social media destroys civilization!

For stuff that is general.

Tell me what your opinion is...

"Sorry, it's just a tool and it's just too bad. At least we recover in 1000 years."
100%
"Hmmm. Maybe we should figure out how to silence morons."
No votes

Total votes: 7

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I got 5/8. I was guessing troll for everyone, and would argue at least one of the ones I got wrong, I should have gotten correct.

I did vote real for one person and got it right. It was pretty obvious as only a real person can be that stupid.
Lol. I got 5/8 as well. I’ve seen real people in my FB that are as insane as some of those trolls.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

5/8.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I didn't finish it. I was guessing legit for all of them because I know people that post like the trolls do. And by troll, I assumed that meant fake account and not a real person. Because, ya, I know trolls, but they don't know they are one. They legit believe the government was behind 9/11, Trump is an awesome president, re-post fake news articles, etc.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, I was tripped up thinking the trolls were just "legit and crazy." SO, I wonder if maybe people aren't as shitty as I think they are, because I am exposed to more trolls than I think.

I doubt it, but maybe.

I think people lie a lot, like a liberal yelling the n-word at a conservative event to "prove" conservatives are racist. And whatever the vice-versa example would be.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So we all know about how Twitter and Facebook tried to prevent misinformation during this last election cycle. Twitter even tagged one of its own tweets as possible misinformation (yes, that happened). People on the left are screaming that FB and Zuckerburg are basically right wing. People on the right were screaming about Twitter being left wing. The point was that misinformation was rampant despite the censorship by these corporations.

Meanwhile, other platforms did nothing (Instagram, TikTok, etc.), claimed to do stuff and did nothing (YouTube), or claimed they wouldn't do shit as a selling point (Parler).

Now we have "journalists" from major outlets claiming stories on FB are false when they don't appear to be? Some of the subtweets on that chain show where this is all going:
Jim Spencer
@newbob19

That is just insane- the left doesn’t even have the type of ‘opinion’ websites that spew venom & hate 24/7, like daily caller, etc., much less any red-faced megaphones of rage like rush, hannity and tucker- they’re just not there. There’s no comparison.
Ok, I just wanted to post Jim's comment because he's a perfect example of someone way too far in an echo chamber. He sets a tone.
Liberty&Freedom
@Liberty2Bfree

Elizabeth Warren should get authorization to organize a Commission to find the most AFFECTIVE ways to STRONGLY REGULATE the outlandish LIES, Conspiracy Theories & Incitement of Violence spewing from Fox News, FaceBook & other “Entertainment” Outlets. Democracy can’t be a Target!
La R.R.y D. Curtis
@MrLDC

It's not just Facebook. Twitter, right here right now, is covered with overripe, rotten fruit too.

Meanwhile Google gives search responses catered to a person's history, including their politics. Not objective answers but search results to drive engagement, some inflammatory
Great Googamooga
@ajserino

The only solution is to outlaw the exchange of political messaging on the social network or make them financially liable for any misinformation that is posted in the future. Two choices; let them pick one!
Christopher Wylie Rainbow flag
@chrisinsilico

It’s why we need to put tech regulation high on the legislative agenda next year. There are many policy solutions to Facebook’s algorithmic assault on democracy. We just need to get creative and enact new tech regulation.
R Cincinnatus
@R_Cincinnatus

Precisely, it’s not censorship to regulate communication platforms. Especially when such regulation serves to facilitate the dissemination of truthful information. It’s about accountability, not censorship.
Go read the responses yourself if you want more as there are countless examples.

Point being, many are now calling for the government to regulate (censor) social media.

So do we get that during Biden's term? I think it's at least discussed and maybe a committee formed. Something needs to happen to prevent the spread of misinformation, but I don't trust either party or the government to do the right thing. I'm worried misinformation is going to be the excuse given to further restrict free speech.

And how long before each citizen is allowed 1 social media account on each platform, linked to your real name, and "proof of self" being required?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I think the only law we need is:

If you believe everything you read on the Internet, you get punched in the face.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

We illustrated a little while ago that even intelligent people only guessed which was the bad info half the time.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

That's not intelligence. That's laziness. That's being too lazy to do your own fact finding and just believing the one that fits your world view.

Drugs are safe!

No they aren't!

Both easily supported with many many many internet articles.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I dare you to fact check everything you are exposed to all day, before you internalize it and let it color your opinions about things.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I take everything with a grain of salt and admit when I believe something, as apposed to knowing it. I have always said "I believe drugs are bad" because I don't have time to conduct my own studies. I feel the virus is very dangerous and we should be sheltering more. I will often argue my feelings but rarely back things up with some random internet article that I can't vouch for.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I always believed "drugs are bad" because that is what people told me over and over when I was young and impressionable. Now that I'm older, I'm rethinking that.

There was a little test on this forum a while back, you had 10 questions/statements to guess which were bullshit, which were legit. All of us only got about half right. I submit it is impossible to definitively determine fact from bullshit on the internet without spending your entire day, every day, researching and figuring out the nuance and context of what is being said... especially when people are getting paid for clicks and they have a financial incentive to exaggerate and titillate. As difficult as it would be, eliminating sock puppets would probably be the easiest "step 1" possible.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Was it the one where you had to guess which twitter/facebook account was fake or real? Since I don't read any posts like the ones they were focusing on, I assumed they were all fake. And even the ones that were real, I didn't care about them because NOTHING they were saying was of any value to me.

I always believed drugs were bad because that's what I was taught, but it was also because of what I saw. I have family members who's lives were destroyed because of their drug use. I saw their progression from weed to opiates to heroin. Saw/Knew people who smoked crack and what it did to them. Same with cigarettes. I've lost 3 close family members to smoking related illnesses, and counting. I have strong feelings about these things based on first hand experience. There's not an article on the internet that would change how I feel about these things because of my first hand experience. And that's the end of my argument on the topics. I'm not going to site articles, experts, etc because I don't know them. All I can do is share MY experience and let you make your own mind up. I died a little bit when weed was legalized. I fear the change/damage it will cause. But, I'm sure there were people that feared the end of prohibition the same way, and the world has survived, and we will probably survive this too. But, given the number of alcohol related deaths every year, they kind of had a point. . . But, you know, freedom and all.

But back on topic, I don't believe everything I read. And neither should anyone else. And I wish people would stop using facebook to try to change minds. I just want to see pictures of your kids. I REALLY don't need you telling me how stupid I am for having a different world view. If only there was a place where I could just keep in touch with friends/family and enjoy visiting with them there.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Saw/Knew people who smoked crack and what it did to them. Same with cigarettes. I've lost 3 close family members to smoking related illnesses, and counting. I have strong feelings about these things based on first hand experience. There's not an article on the internet that would change how I feel about these things because of my first hand experience. And that's the end of my argument on the topics.
There was an interesting study about how conservatives are more likely to trust first-hand experience than studies, and therefore discount most expertise.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I bet I can find an interesting study that found the opposite somewhere on the internet. :-)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I would believe it if you posted it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

WSJ expose on FB proves everything we all believed.

Social media is destroying lives and FB absolutely does not censor content equally. Duh.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:49 pm WSJ expose on FB proves everything we all believed.

Social media is destroying lives and FB absolutely does not censor content equally. Duh.
Gordon was right
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:01 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:49 pm WSJ expose on FB proves everything we all believed.

Gordon was right
Now there are three words that have never been put together before! :D