Social media destroys civilization!

For stuff that is general.

Tell me what your opinion is...

"Sorry, it's just a tool and it's just too bad. At least we recover in 1000 years."
100%
"Hmmm. Maybe we should figure out how to silence morons."
No votes

Total votes: 7

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:07 pm My Twitter feed has been showing me lots of TikTokers and YouTubers getting their asses kicked or in major trouble lately for their ignorant pranks and stunts and I'm here for it.

So is Chuck Darwin.
Good.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

School lockdowns thanks to social media threats
A hostile week of social media threats toward schools continued on Friday morning as multiple lockdowns were enacted on Friday morning at several schools in Wake County.
I remember last year a specific threat was made against our oldest's high school. My memory is that we took her, but then half the school didn't show up, and nothing happened at school that day.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Lately I've been taking downvotes on Reddit stating that most people don't actually care about your* dumb life.

*Meaning the people who work to be influencers but are actually pretty boring, dumb, and starved for attention.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yep.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Lawsuits from unusual sources against the harm social media companies are doing to people and communities are growing in number.

I really don't see how they can win, but they have a case. The mere fact that social media companies create/adjust their algorithms to "addict" their users via dopamine releases is enough to prove intent. However, good luck proving suicides and such are done because of that intent.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

New Utah law designed to limit kids from social media.

Kind of says a lot when an R state with an R governor passing an R pushed law gets this level of CNN support.

I believe this will be the start of a new movement that should have taken place years ago to reign in social media nationwide. The studies are out there showing how harmful social media is to people's mental health, particularly kids.

Have we gotten lawsuits yet about the intentional addictiveness of social media algorithms? If not, you know they're coming.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I heard SOMEONE is suing facebook for being purposefully addictive, but i can't recall the details.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm ready for laws that lock up people who prank for clicks.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:45 pm I'm ready for laws that lock up people who prank for clicks.
Isn't inciting panic already a crime?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:57 am
Leisher wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:45 pm I'm ready for laws that lock up people who prank for clicks.
Isn't inciting panic already a crime?
If it is, I don't know the criteria. It's not just this type of thing either. Saw one last night where a guy approached a girl in a store, introduced himself, and then said, "If you don't give me your number I'm going to kill myself". He did so dead serious and using a hidden camera filmed the poor girl's reaction. There's tons where people mess with a person's food, do something to their cars, pretend to attack them, etc.

In a bit of hilarious justice, one of these pranksters was just shot doing this shit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:40 am In a bit of hilarious justice, one of these pranksters was just shot doing this shit.
good. He said he would keep making videos
Maybe he'll get shot again?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

How long until the straight "Rat Poison OD Challenge?"
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:07 pm Kid dies doing Benadryl challenge on TikTok.

Darwin approves.
One of the convos we had with the kids a few years ago was that all of these challenges are stupid + possibly fatal/harmful.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Ditto.

My kids heard from me all the time that most of what they read on the internet is fake and people on it will try to get them to do dumb things that could hurt or kill them. So far, my warnings have worked.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Legalized "Rape Day" hoax still circulating.

You know someone is going to believe it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

2X subreddit - "Oh you mean days that end with -Y."