Social media destroys civilization!

For stuff that is general.

Tell me what your opinion is...

"Sorry, it's just a tool and it's just too bad. At least we recover in 1000 years."
100%
"Hmmm. Maybe we should figure out how to silence morons."
No votes

Total votes: 7

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:01 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:49 pm WSJ expose on FB proves everything we all believed.

Social media is destroying lives and FB absolutely does not censor content equally. Duh.
Gordon was right
There was never a doubt in my mind.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:14 pm
TheCatt wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:01 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:49 pm WSJ expose on FB proves everything we all believed.

Social media is destroying lives and FB absolutely does not censor content equally. Duh.
Gordon was right
Now there are three words that have never been put together before! :D
Blind squirrels... stopped clocks, etc :P
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Be autistic (not really) like me and constantly look for patterns in things, and root causes, and it's obvious that allowing every idiot in the world to spread their message is, in every way, a bad thing for everyone. There's no way it can end anything but badly.

Unplug and cut off the constant negativity spigot. It'll change your life.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"Misinformation is about to get worse,"

~Google guy

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... on/620218/

And social media will be the amplifier for the misinformation, making sure almost everyone is exposed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Facebook has been down for hours, world rejoices.
Troy

Post by Troy »

How does one just delete bunch of the DNS path on a website? Like - no backups at all?

Texts with the wife today have been tense. When the first outtage hit I got “hey the internet at house isn’t working”
Devolved from there but I’m happy to say our home internet wasn’t the cause.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:17 pm Texts with the wife today have been tense. When the first outtage hit I got “hey the internet at house isn’t working”
Uh, doesn't she work at Facebook?

Teach her the troubleshooting technique of checking something else to ensure _______ isn't the issue.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:11 pm
Troy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:17 pm Texts with the wife today have been tense. When the first outtage hit I got “hey the internet at house isn’t working”
Uh, doesn't she work at Facebook?

Teach her the troubleshooting technique of checking something else to ensure _______ isn't the issue.
It was internal Facebook itself that was down. That was just her first reaction when she couldn't log in to work today.

She and the rest of her team use almost entirely internal tools that run on the same servers that host the public stuff.

We are talking internal comms, graphic editors, website layouts, on and on... down so badly she just figured our internet was out.

She's been Halloween decorating all day :lol:
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:43 pm She's been Halloween decorating all day
Nice! My MIL is huge into Halloween. She creates haunted houses every year for the grandkids. Way, way more impressive than you're probably picturing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It's like the Salem Witch Trials all over again.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My 16 year old who is just recovering from mono and has been out of touch with most of civilization until recently just learned a very important lesson about social media. I was driving her to Cleveland this weekend and she was telling me how on TikTok people are being very negative about the Rittenhouse verdict, so she asked me about the case. I told her just the facts that came out during the trial. She said, "Wait, he shot white guys? TikTok has been telling me they were black and he was a white supremacist."

Social Media might not actually destroy civilization, but it certainly isn't making things better.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My wife was telling me about this tonight.

This country needs an enema.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think we hit a tipping point in the last 20 years with "your feelings are more important than reality," and it's being amplified by social media, and the covid lockdowns just got people online more, with less social interaction.

This also explains the uptick in social violence.

I think the next 10 years are going to be even crazier than the last 10.... the graph is going hockey-stick.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

They call him a serial killer. I call him a hero. He's saying exactly what should be said to a person that does something stupid just to get likes on TikTok.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That's fantastic.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Twitter has suspended the account @DefiantLs.

That's the account I post the pictures from where someone's prior tweet is shown with a newer, contrary one. They have done to this to right and left people, although mostly left. Not sure if they stick their foot in their mouth more often or if the right is just consistent in their stupidity?

They never comment. They, literally, were suspended for posting other people's own words.

The most recent one they posted:

Conincidence?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Everything is fine. Land of the free.