Immigration

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

This is hilarious. Particularly the Trump bits that are so...Trump.

https://youtu.be/K14GsGwdhFQ
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

UK implementing points system

Following 3 Characteristics required:
Offer of job by approved sponsor
Job at appropriate skill level
Speaks English at required level
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

I'm might be on board for that.

Legal employment means paying taxes.
Appropriate job skills means you're more than just a body.
Speaks English means we can do away with pressing 2 for Spanish.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: UK implementing points system

Following 3 Characteristics required:
Offer of job by approved sponsor
Job at appropriate skill level
Speaks English at required level
Ha!
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

SCOTUS allows Trump's administration to make it tougher for immigrants to get legal status if they're using public services and funds to exist. Basically, if they're using food stamps and whatnot.

Which I think I'm ok with...

Sotomayor dissents, but her reasoning is completely political.

I don't really disagree with her. I think SCOTUS is being used in ways probably never intended. I do find it interesting that the other "no" votes did not join in her letter.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

Muslims are pissed about non-Muslim immigrants getting citizenship.

I'm so confused by this story. Are all the Muslims in India white? If not, how does this racism and bigotry exist? :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Muslims are pissed about non-Muslim immigrants getting citizenship.

I'm so confused by this story. Are all the Muslims in India white? If not, how does this racism and bigotry exist? :D
I think you mean "Are Hindis white?" since they are the oppressors in this case.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Muslims are pissed about non-Muslim immigrants getting citizenship.

I think you mean "Are Hindis white?" since they are the oppressors in this case.
Sure.

Why would they care if non-Muslims get fast tracked for citizenship?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Why would they care if non-Muslims get fast tracked for citizenship?
Hindis are excepting Muslims from being able to enter India, is the basic gist.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

Hurts them in the money? Uh oh, they're about to change their mind about illegal immigrants.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

I believe it's just money for law enforcement? If so, they just accept it, let crimes rate go up and blame Trump.
GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

Not enforcing the law, so losing their money, and they'll respond by not enforcing the law.

It's kind of evilly brilliant.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

Key Trump officials ignored warnings about family separations.

I remember when CNN reported the same thing about the Obama administration when they were also separating families.

Oh wait, no I don't.

But yeah, I'm not in favor of splitting families. Nor am I in favor of just giving everyone that shows up a place at the table.
GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

I'm not in favor of allowing adults to bring children over the border before verifying those children aren't being trafficked.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I'm not in favor of allowing adults to bring children over the border before verifying those children aren't being trafficked.
Another solid point.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

#ShareYourCheck: Raleigh, Durham leaders encourage donating stimulus checks to immigrant taxpayers
Article
Called the #ShareYourCheck Challenge, the group is encouraging people who received stimulus payments to contribute part or all of their checks, if they can, to a new COVID-19 Immigrant Solidarity Fund, which helps undocumented families who can not recieve federal stimulus checks despite being taxpayers.
That's going to be a No from me, dog.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

A special three-judge panel has blocked President Trump’s plan to exclude immigrants living in the U.S. illegally from the 2020 census count that will be used to redistribute seats in the House of Representatives.

Acting on two lawsuits filed in New York by a group of states, cities, counties and civil-rights groups, the judges said Thursday that the plan violates several laws that spell out how the results of the decennial census are to be used for distributing congressional seats.

The president issued his memorandum on July 21, ordering that the 2020 population totals for reapportionment not include people in the U.S. illegally. The Census Bureau is trying to complete its pandemic-delayed count this month so that it can deliver state totals used for reapportionment by the legal deadline of Dec. 31.

The court order bars work by the Census Bureau that would allow it to produce a separate count excluding people in the U.S. illegally. There isn’t a citizenship question on the census, after the Supreme Court last year blocked the president’s plan to add one. To carry out the president’s latest order, the bureau had planned to match census responses with citizenship-verified records from state and federal agencies to estimate how many people in each state weren’t legal residents.
- WSJ
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

So we want people here illegally to participate in voting, but don't want Russians interfering?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: So we want people here illegally to participate in voting, but don't want Russians interfering?
I dunno. I don't get why they would be counterd for representation.