Immigration

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: it's not acceptable to lose your job or life to an illegal immigrant.
GOD DAMMIT, I'm ONLY talking about legal immigration.
Leisher wrote: If your wife or one of your kids eats them, it sucks, but it's acceptable.
No. Not acceptable. Fuck those beggars.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: GOD DAMMIT, I'm ONLY talking about legal immigration.
But I'm only talking about illegal immigration... I don't have any issue with legal immigration. I think our 1 million per year is a fair number. I'd only have an issue with legal immigration if the Dems legalized 14 million illegals without making them go through the citizenship process. That would be wrong on many levels.

I think this is an accurate depiction of us in this thread:
https://youtu.be/05h49R4QX9U
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

There are some who think we should have open borders, which would eliminate "illegals" by default. There are some who applaud and support so-called sanctuary cities , because they think they're above the law. Illegal immigration is worthy of discussion.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: There are some who think we should have open borders, which would eliminate "illegals" by default. There are some who applaud and support so-called sanctuary cities , because they think they're above the law. Illegal immigration is worthy of discussion.
ALL LIVES MATTER.

I raised a specific question. No one wants to talk about it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

Repeat the question.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Repeat the question.
Seconded.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Something something something, completely/relatively open borders, with what barriers/hoops to make that acceptable? We already accept 1M people per year now, it appears (legally). Half of that is family members. There's a good argument that increasing immigration would increase GDP, US wealth, help us pay down our debt (or at least make some social programs more affordable with more people paying in), etc.
GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

Firstly, a way to weed out felons and human traffickers and basically anyone trying to cross the border to do bad things. Perhaps the long process is a design feature to make sure you REALLY want it and can stay out of trouble.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Firstly, a way to weed out felons and human traffickers and basically anyone trying to cross the border to do bad things. Perhaps the long process is a design feature to make sure you REALLY want it and can stay out of trouble.
So someone comes in without any crime history, and there's, oh, a 10 year probationary period before they can become citizens. If the commit a crime during that time, what level of crime would be sufficient to send them back? Speeding ticket? Hit and run? Petty theft? Misdemeanor or felony?
GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

You can drive recklessly and hit and seriously injure a kid, and it can be a misdemeanor. So at least that.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: There's a good argument that increasing immigration would increase GDP, US wealth, help us pay down our debt (or at least make some social programs more affordable with more people paying in), etc.
As I said previously, legalized immigration has great benefits in the numbers we currently use because we're typically allowing in the best and brightest. If we did some mass legalization, I think we'd get a lot less of those ideal candidates. Meaning we'd have more people using the system rather than paying into it.

Moderation.

And everything Gordon said about vetting, too. The more people you let in, the harder and more expensive it becomes to vet them properly.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: As I said previously, legalized immigration has great benefits in the numbers we currently use because we're typically allowing in the best and brightest.
Of these, 48% were the immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, 20% were family-sponsored, 13% were refugees and/or asylum seekers, 12% were employment-based preferences, 4.2% were part of the Diversity Immigrant Visa program, 1.4% who were victims of a crime (U1) or their family members (U2 to U5),[6] and 1.0% who were granted the Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) for Iraqis and Afghans employed by U.S. Government.[5] The remaining 0.4% included small numbers from several other categories, including 0.2% who were granted suspension of deportation as an immediate relative of a citizen (Z13);[7] persons admitted under the Nicaraguan and Central American Relief Act; children born subsequent to the issuance of a parent's visa; and certain parolees from the former Soviet Union, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam who were denied refugee status.[5]
Only 12% were employment-based. 81% are family or refugee.
Leisher wrote: Meaning we'd have more people using the system rather than paying into it.
Studies indicate that as long as the people are young and high school educated or better, they are a net contributor to our system. Even older people are, if they are better educated.
Vince

Immigration

Post by Vince »

I'd be interested in comparing immigrants that come here through regular immigration channels compared to those that come here via refugee channels.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: I'd be interested in comparing immigrants that come here through regular immigration channels compared to those that come here via refugee channels.
That would be interesting.
TheCatt wrote: Studies indicate that as long as the people are young and high school educated or better, they are a net contributor to our system. Even older people are, if they are better educated.
I'm down with all that, but I still think there's a number that can shift things the other way. Eventually, you're going to bring in too many. Some part of the system won't be able to handle it.

I always picture a single family home and what happens when you start moving more people into it. I realize that's a crazy simplification, but it works.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I always picture a single family home and what happens when you start moving more people into it. I realize that's a crazy simplification, but it works.
There's lots of empty land in the midwest. I've flown over it :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: I always picture a single family home and what happens when you start moving more people into it. I realize that's a crazy simplification, but it works.
There's lots of empty land in the midwest. I've flown over it :)
Sadly, there are a LOT of people who actually think that way.
GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

Yeah. "Look at all those empty fields, all you're doing with it is growing food."
Vince

Immigration

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:
Vince wrote: I'd be interested in comparing immigrants that come here through regular immigration channels compared to those that come here via refugee channels.
That would be interesting.
I think that's the closest gauge we can get to who would be attracted to an open border policy.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Yeah. "Look at all those empty fields, all you're doing with it is growing food."
Exactly.
Vince

Immigration

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Yeah. "Look at all those empty fields, all you're doing with it is growing food."