2020 General Election Thread

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Does that mean we can finally call it an election and move on?

Now Rs and Ds need to worry about Biden's term lulling people to sleep and Trump making another run in 2024.
I mean, it's been called for a month, ask Trump.

Electoral college votes next week, iirc.

And yesterday was some kind of deadline.
A federal deadline Tuesday marks the latest formal step toward confirming President-elect Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 election, further reducing options for President Trump and his supporters to fight the results.

States were supposed to try to resolve any disputes over the presidential results and finalize their slate of electors for the Electoral College by Tuesday. It is known as the “Safe Harbor” deadline because, if met, Congress should accept a state’s results as conclusive and reject any further challenges, according to federal law.

The deadline usually passes with little notice. This year, the Trump campaign and its allies have so far unsuccessfully launched a battery of lawsuits and sought to persuade some state legislatures to overturn the election results, drawing extra attention to the arcane formalities that states and Congress take to confirm the next president in time for the inauguration on Jan. 20.

The “Safe Harbor” deadline doesn’t necessarily end those or other lawsuits. But given that Congress is supposed to respect the results of states that meet the deadline, and with the Electoral College vote coming Monday, it narrows the options for challenging the outcome, according to election law scholars.

“I don’t think it’s the kind of the deadline that’s going to bring true finality,” said Richard L. Hasen, an election-law professor at the University of California, Irvine. “It’s more like another nail in the coffin.”
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:Electoral college votes next week, iirc.
Plot twist, they re-elect Trump. Civil war breaks out. The country is split into three zones, East Coast, West Coast, and The Heartland. After 5 years of conflict, a peace accord is signed. 100 years later historians discover poster board manufacturers had bribed members of the electoral college to re-elect Trump to boost sales via the inevitable protests...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Trump world is all in on the Texas case.

I don't know why - why any attorney would try to prove one state has standing to meddle with the election affairs of another state. It doesn't seem very conservative? Politely speaking.

There is a considerable amount of disinformation out there too. For hours and hours yesterday they believed a dozen other states had joined the lawsuit.

FWIW - the Texas AG seems like he is doing this for a pardon. He's facing like 100 years for securities fraud, and last year all his underlings revolted and went whistleblower on him.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: why any attorney would try to prove one state has standing to meddle with the election affairs of another state. It doesn't seem very conservative? Politely speaking.
Conservatives doesn't mean anything any more. Exception abortion, apparently.
Troy wrote: FWIW - the Texas AG seems like he is doing this for a pardon. He's facing like 100 years for securities fraud, and last year all his underlings revolted and went whistleblower on him.
Yep.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

How messed up could an electoral college victory be?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

SCOTUS tells TX to duck off.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: SCOTUS tells TX to duck off.
That's the first time autocorrect has ever ducked me.
In a brief order, the court said Texas lacked legal standing to bring the case. “Texas has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections,” the unsigned order said.

Two justices, Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas, said they believed the court was required to hear the case but expressed no position on Texas’s claim.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Trump makes Gore + Bush look like Lincoln + Washington.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TRUMP HAS WON THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE
As of 11:30 a.m. ET, Indiana and Tennessee had both cast their 11 electoral votes for Trump. Vermont had cast 3 votes for Biden, and New Hampshire had cast 4 votes for Biden. This brought Trump’s total to 22 votes so far, and Biden’s to 7 votes. Biden is projected to receive 306 votes total, while Trump is expected to win 232 votes.
He has a COMMANDING 22 to 7 lead, no way Biden can come back from this.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Like I said previously, the anarchist in me wonders how entertaining things would get if Trump won today.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Loeffler is in hot water because she posed for a selfie with a guy who turned out to be an ex-KKK member.

IMHO, the outrage seems to be far more media manipulation than anything else. How the hell is a political candidate supposed to know who every person in the world is? Obama's friends were violent in their youth, and we were told that didn't matter because they were older. Robert Byrd was a KKK member, but he said he regretted it, which I'm certain had nothing to do with his political career, so we're told it's fine despite a career that included filibustering the Civil Rights Act.

That being said, she seems like a douche, and being a politician I'm certain she is, but it's also pretty obvious who the MSM is rooting for based upon all the negative reporting on her.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

You'd think, if the white pessimists really want these people elected, they would stay away from them.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Look at you starting conspiracy theories. :D
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, once he's thrown in the towel, it's over :)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy

Post by Troy »

That dude got paid 260k to act crazy. Two weeks BEFORE the election. It's almost like this narrative was canned ahead of time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Visited a family member (not immediate) on a trip last week. He started discussing how Trump had won and everything would be revealed soon.

I quickly changed the subject.