The Democratic Party

Post by GORDON »

Neither are incomes.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:32 am Neither are incomes.
I mean, you're wrong, but OK.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

This is what that chart reminds me of:

Does it take into account the billions (trillions?) in unpaid taxes corporations and the uber rich duck using loopholes, tax shelters, etc.? Seems like it's hard to calculate money you never get or count as revenue. Also, the GDP of the US in 2021 was 21500.00 USD Billion. Call me crazy, but I would think 10% of that would be PLENTY of money to run a country, let alone 15-20% and growing.

Related side note: Maybe stop paying people so much to not work? I legit just had a department manager tell me this morning that she could earn more money at home on disability than be here. I swear on all that is holy that conversation just occurred an hour ago. Additionally, she had a temp to perm worker that was here last week and has just stopped showing up. I was talking to the HR manager about that and she was explaining to me that this is a pretty big trend as people are working for a week and then just not showing up. Somehow that's getting them extended benefits? Something like that.

Average tax rate for American families in 2019 by income percentile.

That's just income tax. It doesn't count all the additional taxes that show up in our lives on a day to day basis and in every transaction we make. Some corporation now has to pay more in taxes? Your consumer goods go up in price, but it doesn't say "taxes" on the receipt.

Again, call me crazy, but before we continue raising taxes maybe let's try closing loopholes and eliminating wasteful spending. See what that does to our tax revenue as a % of GDP before we keep taking and taking from our citizens?

Sorry I'm probably spinning this off topic and ranting, but I'm sick and tired of hearing these things on the same day:
"Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos need to pay their fair share!"
"Amazon paid $0 in taxes last year."
"We need to raise taxes on the middle class to pay for some new bill."

And yes, I'm aware the latest one was "raising taxes on a percentage of the rich", but loopholes, passing down the cost, and so on means it's really a tax on the middle class.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:49 am
How is it one day you post that incomes haven't kept up with inflation, and the next you post that?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:25 am Does it take into account the billions (trillions?) in unpaid taxes corporations and the uber rich duck using loopholes, tax shelters, etc.? Seems like it's hard to calculate money you never get or count as revenue.
It's literally just receipts. So, no.
Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:25 am Also, the GDP of the US in 2021 was 21500.00 USD Billion. Call me crazy, but I would think 10% of that would be PLENTY of money to run a country, let alone 15-20% and growing.
Interestingly, it's been declining over the past 20 years
The tax-to-GDP ratio in the United States has decreased from 28.3% in 2000 to 24.5% in 2019
GORDON wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:27 am
TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:49 am
How is it one day you post that incomes haven't kept up with inflation, and the next you post that?
I remember posting about minimum wage not keeping up.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:36 pm Interestingly, it's been declining over the past 20 years
The GDP?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:36 pm Interestingly, it's been declining over the past 20 years
The GDP?
Taxes as % of GDP.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

Ok, but that really doesn't indicate anything other than the GDP growing at a faster pace.

To sum up:
Fix the billionaire and corporate problem. Fix out of control spending. Then come ask me for more money.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by GORDON »

Fix the system that retards your entire life if you have to take student loans for college. An educated society is better for everyone.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:28 pm Fix the system that retards your entire life if you have to take student loans for college. An educated society is better for everyone.
OK, but that will take taxes.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by GORDON »

First step would be put the colleges on a diet. Don't give their customers an unlimited money tap, allowing colleges to jack up the prices as fast as they can. When the schools are running according to economic rules again, then we can talk taxes.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm OK, but that will take taxes.
No. See below.
GORDON wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:09 pm When the schools are running according to economic rules again, then we can talk taxes.
Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:51 pm To sum up:
Fix the billionaire and corporate problem. Fix out of control spending. Then come ask me for more money.
We kind of derailed this thread a touch, but the Ds are struggling to push voting legislation and I'm happy.

This shit is short sighted, greedy, and flies in the face of everything this country was founded upon. They'd be bitching to the heavens if the Rs were trying the same shit, and rightly so. (In fact, they're doing just that at local levels across the U.S.) Checks and balances you cunts, not majority rules.
Cakedaddy

The Democratic Party

Post by Cakedaddy »

The government already pays tuition. See: The Military.

OHHhhhh. You want it without having to do anything for it. Gotcha.

I am SO sick of people talking about free tuition. It already can be. And it's not that hard.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by GORDON »

Also a valid point.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:58 pm The government already pays tuition. See: The Military.

OHHhhhh. You want it without having to do anything for it. Gotcha.

I am SO sick of people talking about free tuition. It already can be. And it's not that hard.
Very relevant.
Cakedaddy

The Democratic Party

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm House Democrats have proposed lifting the federal state and local taxes deduction cap to $72,500 from $10,000 through 2031.
The benefit may primarily flow to those earning more than $200,000, according to a Tax Foundation analysis, and those making $250,000 to $1 million may receive the biggest tax break.

Do not like.
Why don't you like this?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:23 pm
TheCatt wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm House Democrats have proposed lifting the federal state and local taxes deduction cap to $72,500 from $10,000 through 2031.
The benefit may primarily flow to those earning more than $200,000, according to a Tax Foundation analysis, and those making $250,000 to $1 million may receive the biggest tax break.

Do not like.
Why don't you like this?
dems just want to reward this high tax states
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

I heard from a right wing source that Pelosi is trying to push a bill making it legal for Congresspeople to trade stocks while serving. Any of that true? A left wing source told me a similar story, but didn't blame Pelosi directly. Seems to me like it should be not only illegal, but grounds for removal from office and charges of corruption. I mean, didn't they throw Martha Stewart in jail for this very crime?

Also...

TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:27 pm heard from a right wing source that Pelosi is trying to push a bill making it legal for Congresspeople to trade stocks while serving. Any of that true?
it’s already legal, why the fuck would the need a bill? That’s retarded. Is your source a moron?

Pelosi has come out in favor of stiffer penalties for the STOCK Act which supposedly already punishes insider trading by Congresspeople, but I say is insufficient.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by GORDON »

I thought they had to report stock trades within six months.