The [s]First[/s] Only Trump term...so far

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Is there any move that proves this is about politics and not doing the right thing more than that?
One could make the argument she's trying to get a fair trial in an arena where the person in charge has already said there will not be a fair trial.
Of course one could. Of course, that's not the truth and we all know it. However, let's say she waits until Dems take the Senate. What then? All hail President Pence? How is that a "win"?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Is there any move that proves this is about politics and not doing the right thing more than that?
One could make the argument she's trying to get a fair trial in an arena where the person in charge has already said there will not be a fair trial.
One could argue that, but it would be detached from reality. Pelosi has zero leveraging power here. The Senate is fine with this dying a quiet death and never seeing the floor of the senate. Many Constitutional experts (including one the Democrats had as a witness) have stated that unless the House files the articles that they passed, then there was no impeachment. The impeachment is not a stand alone vote. Without being delivered to the Senate, it's just a vote that passed. It's not an impeachment.

And the notion of a fair trial died when the house pursued this in the Intel committee (in which the White House was not permitted legal counsel) instead of the judiciary committee where impeachment reports are historically generated. This has been a farce from the beginning. I'm okay with McConnel treating it as such now.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Old man yells at wind
“I never understood wind,” Trump said, according to Mediaite. “I know windmills very much, I have studied it better than anybody. I know it is very expensive. They are made in China and Germany mostly, very few made here, almost none, but they are manufactured, tremendous — if you are into this — tremendous fumes and gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right?”

“So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything. You talk about the carbon footprint, fumes are spewing into the air, right spewing, whether it is China or Germany, is going into the air,” the president added.

Critics of wind power plants frequently point to the carbon emissions from concrete and other manufacturers involved in the production of wind power farms as a reason against further construction of wind farms. However, the American Wind Energy Association found that wind farms around the world generated enough energy to avoid 200 million tons of carbon pollution from burning fossil fuels last year and estimates that most wind power plants repay their own carbon footprints within six months of operation.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Was reading an account the other day of a guy who is actually in the wind generation industry, and he had lots of facts and figures that suggested wind power was a gigantic boondoggle. The lifespan of a wind tower is not long enough to recover the cost and carbon to produce them, and fossil fuel energy usage is not decreasing at all due to wind farms... electric demand is just increasing to incorporate that produced by renewables.

In other words, shit is still fucked, those in charge are still getting rich off the status quo, and there's not a single thing any non-rich person can do to fix anything. :-D
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Was reading an account the other day of a guy who is actually in the wind generation industry, and he had lots of facts and figures that suggested wind power was a gigantic boondoggle. The lifespan of a wind tower is not long enough to recover the cost and carbon to produce them, and fossil fuel energy usage is not decreasing at all due to wind farms... electric demand is just increasing to incorporate that produced by renewables.

In other words, shit is still fucked, those in charge are still getting rich off the status quo, and there's not a single thing any non-rich person can do to fix anything. :-D
Was it Trump? Because he sounds about as well informed. I also work in power generation.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Nope. This guy posts pics all the time from wind fields in Canada.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Nope. This guy posts pics all the time from wind fields in Canada.
That's even stranger, since so little of Canadas power comes from coal. But I don't know that country's economics.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Maybe he's full of shit. I dunno. But he says the wind towers they install have something like a 20-year lifespan, and they will generate X amount of electricity (on a good day), and it won't match the *whatever* to produce and install it.

I wasn't taking notes. Didn't expect to regurgitate. But it's probably an easily checked fact to see energy demand isn't going down in N. America.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: But it's probably an easily checked fact to see energy demand isn't going down in N. America.
It's been holding steady for 11 years. Therefore, if wind is coming online, it's displacing something. Coal's dropped by half since 2008, give or take. Natural gas has taken most of that, but not all. Ergo, renewables are taking a larger %age of US electricity sourcing.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

I prefer solar to wind.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

I prefer the natural gas from my ass.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I prefer the natural gas from my ass.
You joke, but imagine if you could use farts to power your home. Every man immediately becomes far more valuable, and that's why women will never let that technology happen. :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Even the WSJ came out this morning saying that McConnell needs to provide a real and fair trial.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Even the WSJ came out this morning saying that McConnell needs to provide a real and fair trial.
Any sane person would agree. The problem is even with the fair trial the vote will go down party lines. So why waste time?

Let's all stop pretending politicians face any consequences for their crimes, they can openly take bribes from foreign powers, and we the people have no power anymore. Hurry up and take our guns so the last remaining potential for power we do have can also go away.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Any sane person would agree. The problem is even with the fair trial the vote will go down party lines. So why waste time?
For the appearance of normal, functioning humans?
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Any sane person would agree. The problem is even with the fair trial the vote will go down party lines. So why waste time?
But again, we all know better, so why waste time and money? I think I just no longer have any hope or optimism that anyone in the government will ever do the right thing.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
I'd suggest putting a pretty mask on the wormwood does more harm than good.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

What happened in the House was a farce. I don't see how treating a farce as serious does anything positive. One of the charges is an abuse of power because he ignored a House subpoena. That's where executive privilege comes from. At that point, the House or Senate would take the administration to court. We have separate but equal branches of government. If the House alone can override the administration, then they are no longer equal. That's why historically when you have obstruction of congress charge you also have an accompanying obstruction of justice charge. It takes both of the other branches to override the President. If they took him to court and he lost and he still refused, I could side with them on this. If this is the new precedent, then every President moving forward will be impeached. Unless the Democrats pay a heavy toll at the polls come November, which is my hope.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Watching progressive Twitter react to the attack on the embassy in Iraq calling it Trump's Benghazi demonstrates that they're either dishonest brokers or stupid. It wasn't the attack on the embassy that got Republicans upset. It was the Obama administration sitting around with their collective thumbs up their asses before and after the attack that pissed people off.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

"Fact, it happened because of a YouTube video."

~Hillary