The [s]First[/s] Only Trump term...so far

For stuff that is general.
Malcolm

The First Trump term.

Post by Malcolm »

More on those unfounded allegations.
Michael T. Flynn, the former national security adviser, has offered to be interviewed by House and Senate investigators who are examining the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia in exchange for immunity from prosecution, according to his lawyer and a congressional official.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TPRJones wrote: The media is supposed to judge the truthfulness of things, based on available evidence, and if Spicer was saying something at the time that was clearly a lie then head shaking is to be expected.
I'm not sure I agree with that 100%. It's a fine line. If he's saying 2+2=5, then yeah, I'd understand. However, if he's implying Obama spied on Trump without evidence, then she would be in the wrong.

I think instead of shaking her head, asking follow up questions is the appropriate response.
TPRJones wrote: However the media have abdicated their integrity, so odds are it was some political point she was disagreeing on and on the whole she's just as awful as he is anyway.
She is an older black woman, so if someone busted in right now, held a gun to my head and said "Who did she vote for? Get it wrong and die.", I'd feel pretty damn good about surviving the day.

Troy, I don't know what your gif is addressing.
Malcolm wrote: I hear that kind of dispassionate reporting really sells papers and keeps public officials honest.
Right?

By the way, I've enjoyed how "Obama spied on me" has disappeared while "Russian campaign ties" has taken over headlines. Not a debate I want to get into today or over the weekend, so I won't, but I might revisit this Monday. Just interesting how the MSM has shifted gears and why in each case.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

The First Trump term.

Post by Malcolm »

Filibuster locked in.
Republicans said no matter what Democrats do, the outcome will be the same: Judge Gorsuch will be sitting on the court in a matter of days. All that remains is whether Democrats force — and Republicans follow through on — a major change to filibuster rules.

“I can tell you that Neil Gorsuch will be confirmed this week,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said, countering Mr. Schumer on NBC. “How that happens really depends on our Democratic friends. How many of them are willing to oppose cloture, on a partisan basis, to kill a Supreme Court nominee? Never happened before in history, in the whole history of the country.”
Right, you mean like how you dudes decided that a prez in his last year in office couldn't appoint a new Supreme Court justice because ... something about mandate of the people or some other such bullshit.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.
A federal judge in Kentucky is the latest to take Drumpf at his word when he says something controversial. Judge David J. Hale ruled against efforts by Drumpf's attorneys to throw out a lawsuit accusing him of inciting violence against protesters at a March 2016 campaign rally in Louisville.
At the rally, Drumpf repeatedly said “get 'em out of here” before, according to the protesters, they were shoved and punched by his supporters. Drumpf's attorneys sought to have the case dismissed on free speech grounds, arguing that he didn't intend for his supporters to use force. But Hale noted that speech inciting violence is not protected by the First Amendment and ruled that there is plenty of evidence that the protesters' injuries were a “direct and proximate result” of Drumpf's words.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:By the way, I've enjoyed how "Obama spied on me" has disappeared while "Russian campaign ties" has taken over headlines. Not a debate I want to get into today or over the weekend, so I won't, but I might revisit this Monday. Just interesting how the MSM has shifted gears and why in each case.
I've noticed that as well. The press is awful. Everyone is awful.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

The First Trump term.

Post by Malcolm »

How about he keeps the checks, 86s his fucking wall, and redistributes that?
Troy

The First Trump term.

Post by Troy »

*proposes to cut $1.5b from Interior department*

*sends them a check as a publicity stunt for $78k to make up for it*

*still planning on spending horrendous amounts of money on a useless wall*

Not feeling very "effort posting" this week.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

It simply boggles my mind that anyone, aside from those folks making money off of it, thinks this wall is a good idea.

I mean, if you're going to protect the border, protect it. Call in the military. Fly drones over it. Install automated turrets. Make it a kill zone.

How the fuck is some bullshit Lowe's grade wall going to keep out illegals who have dug miles of tunnels?

I'm getting to the point where I think it might make sense for us to just annex Mexico.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

The First Trump term.

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: I'm getting to the point where I think it might make sense for us to just annex Mexico.
I once had a teacher break down exactly the times in history when the US had the chance to take the entirety of both continents by the time WWI rolled around. I keep going back and forth on whether or not it'd make things better or worse.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: It simply boggles my mind that anyone, aside from those folks making money off of it, thinks this wall is a good idea.

I mean, if you're going to protect the border, protect it. Call in the military. Fly drones over it. Install automated turrets. Make it a kill zone.

How the fuck is some bullshit Lowe's grade wall going to keep out illegals who have dug miles of tunnels?

I'm getting to the point where I think it might make sense for us to just annex Mexico.
The idea of a two walled fence with a service road between for fast access sounded workable.

I had a plan long ago that wouldn't need automated torrents. Just sniper towers every couple hundred yards. Rotate snipers through them randomly. No one knows which ones have snipers at any given time.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

As effective as it would be, you just can't start plinking peeps at the border. Need some sort of active denial system... Or at the very least make entering the country illegally have actual bad consequences, like with most every other country in the world.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: As effective as it would be, you just can't start plinking peeps at the border. Need some sort of active denial system... Or at the very least make entering the country illegally have actual bad consequences, like with most every other country in the world.
Oh, I agree it would not be a good system. I'm just thinking it would be very effective.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Well certainly. We could also seed the border with radioactive pylons and make walking past them a death sentence.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm

The First Trump term.

Post by Malcolm »

Article is replete with caveats. Not to channel G, but I wonder if legit, unbiased economic data exists.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

The fact that the MSM, who hate Trump, are reporting this makes it interesting. You'd think they would have spun the numbers, but maybe all those caveats you mention are what they're relying upon?
Malcolm

The First Trump term.

Post by Malcolm »

First amendment is optional.
In the filing, Twitter said that DHS officials delivered an administrative summons to the social networking site on March 14, via a Customs and Border Protection agent, demanding that the company provide records that would “unmask or likely lead to the unmasking” of the person or people behind the account.

Twitter opposes the order on two main points. First, it maintains that the CBP does not have jurisdiction to demand such information, which includes “names, account login, phone numbers, mailing addresses, and I.P. addresses,” associated with the account.

But its primary objection, the company said, is that allowing the government to unmask Twitter critics is a violation of the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment right to free speech. Twitter has long defended its users' rights to free expression — a position it has held for years, notably during the widespread “Arab Spring” protests in 2011. That right, the company said, is particularly important when discussing political speech.
Troy

The First Trump term.

Post by Troy »

Apparently just launched 50 cruise missiles at Syria.
Malcolm

The First Trump term.

Post by Malcolm »

Troy wrote: Apparently just launched 50 cruise missiles at Syria.
Use of chemical weapons ... and the UN does what now?
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote: Use of chemical weapons ... and the UN does what now?
Nothing as usual.

Speaking of "usual", here's the list of who approves and disapproves of the missile strikes.

Amazing how quick Russian, China, and Iran are to condemn missile attacks against Syria, yet they're oddly quiet when Syria uses chemical weapons.