Mutant Chronicles

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Thomas Jane and Ron Perlman star in this movie about a future Earth that is depleted and run by four corporations. The corporations are in a constant state of war with one another. At one battle, an event occurs that changes everything when a mutant army is unleashed on mankind.

Earth's population, lead by John Malkovich, is abandoning the planet, but Ron Perlman convinces John to give him a shot of ending the mutant menace. John agrees and allows Ron to put together a small team to end the mutant threat. Meanwhile, Thomas Jane is a soldier whose seen enough war and seems to have lost his love of life. Now he's on the team tasked with saving all of mankind.

This is a film searching for an identity. Despite the extremely weak premise, the film begins with a look and feel that it's going to be something epic. Unfortunately, as the film goes on, it becomes more of a match for "Starship Troopers 2" than "Saving Private Ryan".

The opening starts off in that shiny, yet gritty kinda black and white, but not look. It's a great look for a film, but they abandon it randomly for a while, and then completely. If you're not going to stick with one look, don't use that look.

The storyline is really weak. Not only are the vast majority of characters completely undeveloped, but the actual storyline comes off as poorly explained. You get no sense of motivation from any of the characters. There's no logic either. For example, all of the mutants are the same, except one, yet no explanation is ever given as to why. I know why, it made a plot device they thought would be cool. In reality, it was crap.

The action is pretty tame, and initially, a lot of it is hidden from the viewer with camera tricks.

I suppose if you're a huge fan of the folks involved, it wouldn't kill you to give this movie a look. I watched the film while playing something on my PC, so I didn't feel it was time wasted. In fact, that's a perfect way to describe this movie: Don't sit down to just watch it. It sucks. However, if you're doing something else, and you want to put this on the same time, it's the perfect film because it isn't good enough to fully capture your interest.

4 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”