The Midnight Meat Train

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Bradley Cooper plays a freelance photographer who is sent into the night by a demanding art director (Brooke Shields) and ends up on the trail of a serial killer (Vinnie Jones).

I won't mince words here, the storyline is great until the ending. They give you a flash of something stupid coming around midway through the film, but you hold out hope that they don't go that route. Unfortunately, they do go that route and it ruins an otherwise, very good psychological thriller.

The ending seems completely tacked on. It's like they came up with the idea for the killer, and once they had the story fleshed out realized he couldn't exactly get away with it unless...

The acting is fine, and everybody brings their A game, but Vinnie Jones is fantastic in this film. He doesn't get many lines, but all of his facials ae exactly what they should be for this character.

This is worth a rental for horror fans and is creepy enough to make you look over your shoulder the next time you're on a subway.

Just remember that I warned you about the ending...

This movie would've easily received an 8 out of 10 from me, but the ending makes it...

5 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

You lost me at "Meat Train."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Midnight meat train. Get it? The meat train? At midnight?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

A few things ...

Yeah, what the HELL was w\ that ending? Once you get there, its effects ripple back thru the film & tear apart most of the good ideas.

Vinnie's got one line by my count. & it's one word. He's still a scary-looking mofo, though. Good performance.

There's more than a couple places where the characters acted like complete fuckwits -- seeing as how that's become standard, if not expected, horror film behaviour, I'll let it slide somewhat.

Anyone ballsy enough to carry a firearm when tracking down a murderer should make sure they can fucking hit a man-sized target at point blank range.

The hero's choice of weaponry towards the end is ... questionable. Want to win a knife fight? Bring a gun.

Even minus that ending, this film just seemed a notch above average. W\ it, it's mediocre. Take away Vinnie & it's forgettable SyFy fare.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."