3:10 to Yuma

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

A ballsy claim on this film as it's hyped as "The best western since Unforgiven." I'll agree, but with the stipulation that it's not as good as Unforgiven.

This film is all about characterization so if you don't like lots of talking and slow builds, skip it. There is more action here than Unforgiven, there's even a "moment" of true bad ass like Clint's (NOT on that same level), but this movie doesn't quite hit the mark. It is damn close though.

Christian Bale plays a crippled rancher who is in serious debt when he happens across the path of an outlaw named Wade, played by Russell Crowe. Bale and Crowe have a weird relationship early on as Crowe's "gentlemen psycho" attitude spares Bale his wrath. Their relationship gets more interesting as Bale agrees to get Crowe on the 3:10 to Yuma where he'll be hung. Meanwhile, Crowe gang is hot on their trail to spring their boss and kill everyone who gets in their way.

Bale and Crowe are the true stars here in every sense of the word. Bale proves his acting skills by portraying a desperate man in more ways than one. Crowe excells, but considering his off screen scandals, I'm not certain his role was much of a stretch.

There is a huge supporting cast of very familiar faces, but none truly shine outside of the kid who plays Bale's 14 year old son and the guy who plays the second-in-command of Crowe's gang. Actually, I should also mention the pilot from "Firefly" does a pretty cool job too, but he's not in a massive role.

Like Unforgiven, and I'm not saying this to be sexist, this film revolves around very male themes, including the entire ending of the film. I'm not certain everyone who sees this will get it.

Good flick that is worth the rental.

8 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Bah. Like so many remakes, this is completely inferior to the original.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

What I didn't realize is that it's based off an Elmore Leonard novel. Just like 83.4% of all movies.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

He does get an assload of his books made into films for some reason.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:He does get an assload of his books made into films for some reason.
Get Shorty was pretty decent.

The sequel was not. Better as a book, but still read as a variation on Get Shorty, rather than a new book.
It's not me, it's someone else.