Two Towers Extended Version

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I've owned this since it came out (2003?). I've been wanting to watch the entire trilogy with the commentary by PJ and the broads, to hear their explanations of why they changed what they did.

Last night we were doing that with the Two Towers, and I swear there were scenes I had not watched. I'm wondering now if I ever saw the extended version. My wife swears I watched it with her when we got it, but I think she is confused.

That's wacky, yo.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Maybe you live in some fucked up, X-Filesesque place.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Had the same type of situatin a bunch of years ago... apparently TBS (or something) aired an extended Aliens. Remote gun turrets and such. Had my saying, literally, "What the fuck?"
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hell, if I made a successful flick, I'd keep all the deleted scenes & extra shit I could. Then just release more & more extensive "collector's editions" every five years or so.

EDIT : Hell, now that I think about it, they do WORSE in the textbook industry. & the software industry. You damned near HAVE to buy the shiniest model in some cases.

Edited By Malcolm on 1199232413
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Had the same type of situatin a bunch of years ago... apparently TBS (or something) aired an extended Aliens. Remote gun turrets and such. Had my saying, literally, "What the fuck?"

Interesting.

The first time I ever saw Aliens, the turrets were in the film. I remembered how cool they were and was disappointed when I saw Aliens again and they weren't there.

I just watched the director's cut recently and they are in that version.

Edited By Leisher on 1199294631
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
Interesting.

The first time I ever saw Aliens, the turrets were in the film. I remembered how cool they were and was disappointed when I saw Aliens again and they weren't there.

I just watched the director's cut recently and they are in that version.
I know another guy who said the same thing. He insisted that those gun turrets were in the 1st version he ever saw, in the movie theater. At the time I'd seen the movie 50 times and had never heard of those scenes.

I wonder if 2 different versions of the movie were screened. As this was pre-internet, nobody noticed.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It's very possible and not unheard of.

I know Major League had a similar scene. If anyone remembers the trailers, it showed a scene where Charlie Sheen and Tom Berringer were discussing a home run. Tom says "That ball wouldn't have been out of a lot of parks." Charlie says, "Name one." Tom replies, "Yellowstone."

I know people who insist they saw that scene in the movie at the theater. I didn't. I actually don't remember if I ever saw the film in the theater, but I do know that I've seen it so much I can recite it line for line as it plays, and I've never seen that scene in any version of the movie I've watched, but DO remember it from the trailers.

In a related bit, remember Clue? Three endings (right?) and you'd see a different one depending on where you saw the movie. I thought that was a cool gimmick.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:I know Major League had a similar scene. If anyone remembers the trailers, it showed a scene where Charlie Sheen and Tom Berringer were discussing a home run. Tom says "That ball wouldn't have been out of a lot of parks." Charlie says, "Name one." Tom replies, "Yellowstone."
IIRC, the writer came up with that joke but had nowhere in the final movie script to put it. But he really liked the joke and had them film it just for the trailer. Might have been an urban legend, though.
In a related bit, remember Clue? Three endings (right?) and you'd see a different one depending on where you saw the movie. I thought that was a cool gimmick.
Never saw it in the theaters, but part of the funny of the video was watching all three endings back to back to back. Made it all a bit manic.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren